armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 01-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Recruit

Default I want to join but parents are holding me back

I'm 17 right now and turn 18 in August. I've been thinking about joining the army for awhile, but now that I'm deciding where to go to college, I've become serious about it. Any mention of the army to my parents or anyone in my family gets them mad. They think its an automatic death and a waste. They don't think it's worth it, despite all the benefits and have no idea why anyone would want to join.

I haven't talked to my parents about it yet. I want to join because I want to do something good and contribute to something for once in my life. I don't want to feel like I'm wasting a spot on Earth, I want to do something with my life. I don't want any desk job, I want something physical. I want the boot camp training and I want to fight. If I told my parents that, they would think I'm crazy and immediately say no and wouldn't let me mention it again.

I know when I'm 18 I don't need their permission but theres 2 problems. First, even if I am 18, since I am living under their roof, there is no way they would let me join. Second, they want me to sign up for a college now. So if I start paying for college now, and join the army when I'm 18, that would be a huge waste of money.

I thought about this a lot and I want to join. Do you have any suggestions on what I can tell my parents?

Old 01-25-2007, 01:04 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesfan1091 View Post
I'm 17 right now and turn 18 in August. I've been thinking about joining the army for awhile, but now that I'm deciding where to go to college, I've become serious about it. Any mention of the army to my parents or anyone in my family gets them mad. They think its an automatic death and a waste. They don't think it's worth it, despite all the benefits and have no idea why anyone would want to join.

I haven't talked to my parents about it yet. I want to join because I want to do something good and contribute to something for once in my life. I don't want to feel like I'm wasting a spot on Earth, I want to do something with my life. I don't want any desk job, I want something physical. I want the boot camp training and I want to fight. If I told my parents that, they would think I'm crazy and immediately say no and wouldn't let me mention it again.

I know when I'm 18 I don't need their permission but theres 2 problems. First, even if I am 18, since I am living under their roof, there is no way they would let me join. Second, they want me to sign up for a college now. So if I start paying for college now, and join the army when I'm 18, that would be a huge waste of money.

I thought about this a lot and I want to join. Do you have any suggestions on what I can tell my parents?
Firstly, I admire your committment to joining up, and see your problem. You need to respect your Parents wishes and whilst living under their roof, I can see why it would be a problem for you..... However, if you can get into College, and do 3/4 yr degree or whatever, then maybe a comprimise would be going to to college as a civvi getting your degree and then making your own choice as a 21yr old to go into Army, or not.... Fact is however, thats its your life, its ultimately your choice.... your parents are afraid for you as all they see is death on TV, and dont want their child getting into harms way.....maybe, you just need to talk with them pointing out their fears versus your goals, and maybe a comprimise solution could work... but remember, that only works if you are comfortable with it... If you are interested in being an officer, Degree is a must, but if enlisted is where you wanna be at, then choose your degree to match your interest in the Military.. Good Luck....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 01-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

It's pretty simple really .. once you are 18 you can do what you please in regards to joining the military. It is your life, do what you want.

As for why you can't join when you are 18 .. excuses. If you really want to join, you will. Period.

Make sure the military is what you want, however - don't use it as a means to escape what your parents want for you.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Private First Class

Smile

I understand where your parents are comeing from.,but you need to sit them down and let them know where your comeing from. Also let them know there is a chance of death in this line of work but there are jobs in the Army that are safer than others. and that it is realy hard for any parent to see there child go off to the military.. Even if you dont go into the military you are not takeing up space on the earth because college is a huge commitment so dont think that way of yourself but u have to actualy talk to them to get an answer.Just think of it this way (talking to your parents is the first step at achieveng your goal) Being a soldier for your country is awarding. you sound like this is something you want. I realy admire the respect you have for your parents. You dont see that much anymore.

GOOD LUCK

P.S dont forget what EXO1 wrote because he gives great advice

Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela S. View Post
P.S dont forget what EXO1 wrote because he gives great advice
EX....is boots to the ground..that said. He's brilliant and understanding. I would do guard duty beside him any time anywhere. And his class is great and always free.

As for the orioles fan..Your time is soon. All in good time.

I would talk to them and tell them just how you feel and how you need to do this for youself. Serving your country is a good thing and as such you need to experience what it means.....to know loyalty, duty, and respect for others, selfless service, honor, integrity and personal courage. You recognize these values and the leadership they represent.

It sounds good to me. It will to them and one day when your time comes they will understand.

Good luck
Nightflyer
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 02-11-2007 at 11:18 AM..