armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Private

Smile 13F with Airborne

I am new to this forum so I will start off by saying Hi to everyone. Hope you all had a good day. My MOS is 13Foxtrot with Airborne training. My recruiter wants me to try out for the Rangers because he thinks I would be a good canidate for the school. However I joined the army to fight along side my brothers and not just be in an elite group. He keeps talking about it to me and says it would still put me in a position to serve my country to the fullest. My question to you gentlemen is should I try out for the rangers with this mos? Also would I still do the same duitys as a regular army 13F as a Ranger or would I be light infantry mostly with some aspects of a 13F? I must say hearing artillery whistling down range makes me excited. Also I have no college. I get by and did ok in high school, but I hear that you have to be really smart to be a ranger. I scored a 61. I will be very thankful for any and all help on this subject, thank you very much.

P.S. I have googled Ranger and learned alot about its heritage, but I could find nothing on the resposibilitys of a 13F Ranger. Thanks again.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

If I had it to do all over again, I would have most certainly spent my time in batt as a 13F.

If you are a 13F in batt, you WILL be a FISTER, if you want to be a line dog, enlist 11X. Ranger FIST calls in everything, from Naval guns to fast movers, organic mortars and arty from higher. If 13F is what you want, I highly suggest you try to go to battalion. Conventional ways of using FISTERS do not compare. In batt you are not just a FISTER, your sort of a jack of all trades and a master of your job.

The Ranger Regt. is the best place for a young Joe to grow up. If you think being a Ranger is just about being part of an "elite" group, you've watched too many movies and you need to remove your head from your fourth point. While not taking away from other conventional units, you probably won't find a group of soldiers with higher unit cohesision and espirt de corps than you will in a Ranger batt. Everyone is there because they want to be - and the slackers do not last very long.

All that said, you better make certain you are prepared if you sign a Rgr contract. RIP isn't a walk in the park - it wasn't years ago, and the standards haven't dropped. Be in top physical shape before you leave, and make certain your head is right.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to arctcfightr

rangers lead the way bro but if you think you can handle it and like being more badass go try special forces...........

Old 10-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctcfightr
rangers lead the way bro but if you think you can handle it and like being more badass go try special forces...........
Rangers and Special Forces are two completely different animals, different missions, different mindsets .. for 13F, Ranger Batt is where the job shines. AF CCTs get most of that fun in SF.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Sergeant First Class

i know they cary two dif missions but i was just sayin i would rather be sf than a fister but to each his own

Old 10-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Private

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a great job for the Rangers. On the other side of the spectrum if I feel after trainging and airborne that I would better serve as an 11b can I do that? My contract is for only three years, but Im finding more and more of my friends going in as 11x I guess the Army is really pushing that MOS right now. Placing about 85% of 11x into 11b. I know I could always reenlist in 3 years as an 11b, which would make it a little easier to try out for things such as the EIB because of the knowlage I will learn from calling in fire. I dont so much care about all that, but I would like the chance to serve with a friend as an 11b. Again any info would help. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row before shipping out, and learn all I can about MOS and how it works once your in. In any event my MOS will always be combat that I am sure of. Sorry if these are crazy questions Im just a little nervous before boot thats all. My real name is Fred. Thanks guys.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Sergeant First Class

u can be a ranger in the mos ur in right now.....and if u want to change just go talk to a recruiter ask him what u need to know and what to do