armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 AM
Recruit

Unhappy My son is leaving

I'm a new member and I am really nervous because my 18 year old son is leaving for basic in one month. Although I am proud of him I worry because this the first time he will ever be away from home. My father and brother were both in the military, but I was so young then that I don't remember what I felt about it when they were gone. I hope he will be okay so far from home and his family.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudParent View Post
I'm a new member and I am really nervous because my 18 year old son is leaving for basic in one month. Although I am proud of him I worry because this the first time he will ever be away from home. My father and brother were both in the military, but I was so young then that I don't remember what I felt about it when they were gone. I hope he will be okay so far from home and his family.
Hi! I don't know what it feels like to be a parent with a child in the military, but I observed how my bf's parents handled it. It is nerv-racking, and BCT is going to be tough--for everyone. I'm telling you that your son is going to need all the support from you that he can get. In the beginning, it isn't too bad--they are just starting out, they aren't given too much time to think of home. But once they start to really be pushed past their limits, letters from home during the week will help him and motivate him to keep going. But don't worry too much--I'm sure that he's nervous enough for the both of you (as well as excited about the "unknown"). It will be okay! Which BCT camp is your son going to?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Brigadier General

I know what it feels to have a child in the Army. My son joined over 5 years ago & became an Army Ranger, not the safest job in the world. Even though I'm retired Army & lived through much of what he did it was still hard. Especially with his four deployments to Iraq & one to Afghanistan. His mom took it pretty good but then again we were married for my 21 years in the Army (we didn't know each other during my 6 years in the Navy) & she was fairly used to that, the trooper she is.

My son came home in great health & is now taking advantage of his GI Bill & attending a college taking a Criminal Justice course & elected to go in a Reserve unit as an instructor.

Keep reminding yourself that millions have gone through what he will & an enormous amount of them came home safely. The deaths last year in my state, Wisconsin, due to illegal activities - drunken driving, murder, drugs, etc., exceeded the death toll in Iraq & Afghanistan. It's statistically safer to be in a combat are than to be in Wisconsin. I can imagine what it is in some other states.

Communications are so much better these days. When I was in the Navy it was only letters & occasionally MARS radio to a telephone patch & i didn't communicate all that much with my folks. Then in the Army it was telephone, overseas we still had MARS, & later cell phones. Now it's cell phones, satellite phones, e-mail & chat via computers & the Internet.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to lilyOhio

welcome to the thread! i'm sure my parents are going through the same thing. i am planning on enlisting after i graduate and my parents are less than thrilled about the decision to say the least. i know they will support me in the end, but it is hard knowing they would rather see me doing something else right now. so, that said, make sure your son has you behind him all the way. let him know your concerns, but make sure he knows you are proud of him (which i am sure you are )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Now it's cell phones, satellite phones, e-mail & chat via computers & the Internet.
cell phones? really? how does that work? i was wondering about that actually

Old 05-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyOhio View Post
cell phones? really? how does that work? i was wondering about that actually
I'm sure he used that term in general (hope I'm not speaking or typing out of line here MSG Glenn).

Some training installation allow their Soldiers to have cell phones, mainly when you get to AIT, but that is up to the drill sergeants. There have been a few people here on this forum who have said their Soldiers were able to call from their cell phones on Sundays but that is not standard across the board.

Once you are done with training and head off to your permanent duty station, you have access to all the things he mentioned. Overseas you have a lot of the same luxuries. These are great time, I think of those who served during World War I and World War II where they waited months and months for a mere letter and now my husband is overseas and we "talk" daily via the computer.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudParent View Post
Welcome to the forum. It's completely normal to be nervous about sending your child off into the unknown but he will be okay. My mom cried and cried when I went to basic training. But think of what he has chosen to do. Less then 1% of America is willing to do what he is stepping up to do, there is no definition of pride when it comes to selfless sacrifice like that. All will be well and you'll both grow from this experience.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Sergeant First Class

cell phones? really? how does that work? i was wondering about that actually[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when my bf was in BCT, all we had was written letters (though it took forever for the letters to arrive! I am in NC and he was in KY...basically, i had to wait a week before i could expect a reply, but i would send out a new letter like, every other day! ^^)...which was really nice. We are the "sentimental" type so we like receiving stuff in the mail and keeping the letters.
He did get to call me twice...maybe three times...total over the course of 4 months. He probably got to use the phone more than that, but he chose to call his mom or dad instead those other times.
Good luck!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Staff Sergeant

As a mother and A mother in law I can tel you it getting easier. I can remember sitting on this computer for hours aat a time trying to figure out what he will be oing and when. But he will let you know.

When he first goes to basic he will call you and give you a addresses to write him at, do it. They love to get mail. Tell them what is going on at home, what you fixed for dinner, who is dating who. Any and everything, they want information just like they where here.

But what ever you do, don't be telling him that you miss him and it is lonely with out him and stuff like that. It makes them mmore home sick than they are.

You can send them boxes... Do so, only the thing that they can have. Send picture, bathroom stuff shaving gear, Dont send Candy, or sweets they cant have them.

We were lucky my son was able to have his cellphone in the fifth week of Basic. He was able to keep all the way through AIT. So we got to talk everyday.

Now my son has been in Iraq for a year and he took a laptop and we talk everyday still. We get to see him too. We all have web cam, so when we see him we see the Baby that is now four months old in Texas too.

He will be fine and so will you. This is the place to get answers at trust me. Thanks to this place I still have hair. Welcome to the family!!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Sergeant First Class

You can send them boxes... Do so, only the thing that they can have. Send picture, bathroom stuff shaving gear, Dont send Candy, or sweets they cant have them.

Ha! I was told they can have candy...but the DS would make them eat every last bit right then and there... and then go run for a few hours as punishment for eating all the sweets! Towards the end I was able to send brownies to my bf...and he sold more than half of them to the guys desperate for something good and homemade! Ask though before you send them anything like that...

Old 05-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Recruit

My 17 year old son just shiped this week. He is currently in reception at Ft.Jackson. I was very leary of letting him go to BCT at such a young age, but he was determined. He will spend his entire summer vacation doing BCT, and then return home to finish his senior year in high school. It did not sound so bad back in January when I had to sign the papers for him to do early entry, but boy it ws difficult to send him off this week. We have exchanged text messages every day since he left, and he is homesick. I hope he will be so busy in BCT that the time will fly. I cant wait for graduation 7-30-2009.