armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM
aSap89 aSap89 is offline
Recruit
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Exclamation Newb

Hey! my name is Amanda, and I'm 20 from NJ. My friend and I have been talking about enlisting in the Army together. She was taken right away, and I cannot be taken yet because i gotta lose some pounds. I am between 5'8 and 5'9, 210lbs, and I joined my friend for PT at the recruiter office, and I FAILED. I have not been in shape for years, because I had no motivation, and the school I went to didn't require us to participate in P.E. Anyways, My friend ships out on Aug 26th I believe, and I'm trying to get in shape ASAP! I really want this, and I would very much appreciate any tips on getting in shape, and losing weight. I started a diet, and I been exercising for like a week. My biggest problem is runnning a mile, and pushups. I am trying so hard to stay motivated and keep my eye on the prize, but I feel somewhat discouraged..
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 05-22-2009, 04:25 AM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Welcome to the Forums



Well the way i see it is dont go for diets....99% of the time they dont work not long term anyway.

Diet"suggests losing the weight until you meet your goal and crash dieting is rubbish.Most of the time people just pile it back on again....my sister did it..she lost the weight she wanted to then stopped...she ended up putting more back on after she had finished the diet its about changing what you eat...and how you eat and then sustain it.....what i would do is....

Eat proteins....(ie chicken..fish..steak...eggs....dont have them fried though)
proteins should be the largest intake

Proteins build muscle which is a fat burner in itself....the more muscle you have the better your body burns fat

Veggies.....you have to eat them even if its only a few on the side of the plate.
They have massive amounts of vitamins and minerals.....key for staying healthy.....dont over cook them try to eat them when they still have a crunch to them..if you over-cook them you tent to lose most of the goodness

Now to carbohydrates....this is the tricky part....you need to find a balance too many are bad....and too few can be just as bad....for any weight-loss plan....exercise is key...and to exercise well you need carbs....but remember certain carbs are stored as fat and the body takes longer to burn them off....so that means more sweating so dont take in to many
Fats....the body needs 90 grams of fat a day......but stay away from saturated fats


The issue of so called junk food ie...pizza Maccy Ds crisps/chips its an easy one....everything in moderation... if you stave yourself of these foods thats when cravings kick in and the mind makes them more important then they are....so if you have pizza...have 3 slices not 12

Remember with exercise...dont over do it...listen to your body it will always tell you when enough is enough and any over exertion can be damaging in the long run and can set you back weeks.

You need to do cardiovascular training....if you cant manage a run then just walk a few miles until you build up your fitness levels then you csn progress to a good jog and then you will be running...remember to reach you goals it takes a process and Rome wasnt built in a day....if on anyday you do not feel motivated remember(a little exercise is better then none)So just try and do something even if its just walking around the block...to lose weight and get fit you will have to sweat...thats the only way you can do it...there are no shortcuts Im afraid to say.


Once again...welcome to the forums and good luck to you!!!

Remember....."Endure the most... become the best"
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-22-2009, 06:34 AM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default

Welcome to the forums. JRJ gave you some great advice...not much I can add to that.

Good luck and keep at it.
__________________
Johnny B
Ship Date: 20090610
MOS: 25N - Nodal Network Systems Op./Maintainer
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Armygirl4Ever's Avatar
Armygirl4Ever Armygirl4Ever is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home is Where You Hang Your Dog Tags!
Posts: 927
Default

Welcome to the site!

If you truly want to do this, you will find the motivation in yourself. I agree, don't go for the quick fix. Good luck!
__________________
Armygirl4ever,
Proudly Serving in the Silent (okay, maybe not always so silent) Ranks

Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-22-2009, 09:12 AM
hollisrae's Avatar
hollisrae hollisrae is offline
Command Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BFE, OK
Posts: 335
Send a message via MSN to hollisrae Send a message via Yahoo to hollisrae
Default

hiyas amanda! Welcome!! i have a few things to add. to start, i feel your pain!! I have struggled with my weight for most of my life and can understasnd what you are going thru... If you drink pop or energy drinks STOP NOW! once i cut that out of my diet i lost 15 lbs. in a month! a good substitute is the new flavored waters that they have come out with. it staves off the need for something sweet to drink and you are getting the benifits of water vs. pop. also drink as much water as you can. it keeps your body hydrated and it also will flush out the fat and bad things that you are going to be burning off. remember to keep up on your potassium as well. it will help with the cramping of sore musscles.
the best of luck to you!! Keep the goal in mnd but make smaller acheivable goals, like i want to add 5 lbs. to my weights this week, or i want to add 2 minutes on the eleyptical. it will make working up to your final goal much easier and you won't seem so overwhelmed. my final goal is to get to 145 lbs. started at 204 in march and i'm already down to 170. it can be done!! stay strong!!
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
aSap89 aSap89 is offline
Recruit
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollisrae View Post
hiyas amanda! Welcome!! i have a few things to add. to start, i feel your pain!! I have struggled with my weight for most of my life and can understasnd what you are going thru... If you drink pop or energy drinks STOP NOW! once i cut that out of my diet i lost 15 lbs. in a month! a good substitute is the new flavored waters that they have come out with. it staves off the need for something sweet to drink and you are getting the benifits of water vs. pop. also drink as much water as you can. it keeps your body hydrated and it also will flush out the fat and bad things that you are going to be burning off. remember to keep up on your potassium as well. it will help with the cramping of sore musscles.
the best of luck to you!! Keep the goal in mnd but make smaller acheivable goals, like i want to add 5 lbs. to my weights this week, or i want to add 2 minutes on the eleyptical. it will make working up to your final goal much easier and you won't seem so overwhelmed. my final goal is to get to 145 lbs. started at 204 in march and i'm already down to 170. it can be done!! stay strong!!
Woah, that's pretty good. I already don't drink soda, or caffeine. I drink water, green tea, and loose leaf tea. My problem is exercise ESP running. all my life i was never a runner.
I also have to watch what i eat better. I used to eat a lot of fried greasy microwave foods, and it was gross. Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-22-2009, 10:58 AM
aSap89 aSap89 is offline
Recruit
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Welcome to the Forums



Well the way i see it is dont go for diets....99% of the time they dont work not long term anyway.

Diet"suggests losing the weight until you meet your goal and crash dieting is rubbish.Most of the time people just pile it back on again....my sister did it..she lost the weight she wanted to then stopped...she ended up putting more back on after she had finished the diet its about changing what you eat...and how you eat and then sustain it.....what i would do is....

Eat proteins....(ie chicken..fish..steak...eggs....dont have them fried though)
proteins should be the largest intake

Proteins build muscle which is a fat burner in itself....the more muscle you have the better your body burns fat

Veggies.....you have to eat them even if its only a few on the side of the plate.
They have massive amounts of vitamins and minerals.....key for staying healthy.....dont over cook them try to eat them when they still have a crunch to them..if you over-cook them you tent to lose most of the goodness

Now to carbohydrates....this is the tricky part....you need to find a balance too many are bad....and too few can be just as bad....for any weight-loss plan....exercise is key...and to exercise well you need carbs....but remember certain carbs are stored as fat and the body takes longer to burn them off....so that means more sweating so dont take in to many
Fats....the body needs 90 grams of fat a day......but stay away from saturated fats


The issue of so called junk food ie...pizza Maccy Ds crisps/chips its an easy one....everything in moderation... if you stave yourself of these foods thats when cravings kick in and the mind makes them more important then they are....so if you have pizza...have 3 slices not 12

Remember with exercise...dont over do it...listen to your body it will always tell you when enough is enough and any over exertion can be damaging in the long run and can set you back weeks.

You need to do cardiovascular training....if you cant manage a run then just walk a few miles until you build up your fitness levels then you csn progress to a good jog and then you will be running...remember to reach you goals it takes a process and Rome wasnt built in a day....if on anyday you do not feel motivated remember(a little exercise is better then none)So just try and do something even if its just walking around the block...to lose weight and get fit you will have to sweat...thats the only way you can do it...there are no shortcuts Im afraid to say.


Once again...welcome to the forums and good luck to you!!!

Remember....."Endure the most... become the best"
Carbs is probably my problem. But, yesterday was the 1st time i jogged in like YEARS. I felt like the fat kid in gym class i was about 50 feet behind everyone, and they had me start in the front too. I was like oh boy. My fingers got sooo fat (idk why) i could not even bend my fingers. I had the worst cotton mouth, and I wasnt even sweating. I was just thinking what did I get myself into? My recruiter told me that the army would pay for a breast reduction, and I got sooo happy lol. That's a part of my problem. I been on this diet for a week eating five small meals. Breakfast- a breakfast bar, in between a yogurt of fruit, lunch a steamed veggie, and maybe a turkey burger baked, in between MORE fruit, dinner maybe some baked chicken with more veggies...It's been working pretty well, and the only problem I have with that is not eating at night. 2 hours before I work out I take vitamin b-12, and a bananna. I don't notice anything with the b-12 but it probably works. Anyways, thanks a lot for your advice, and I find it quite helpful!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
hollisrae's Avatar
hollisrae hollisrae is offline
Command Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BFE, OK
Posts: 335
Send a message via MSN to hollisrae Send a message via Yahoo to hollisrae
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSap89 View Post
Woah, that's pretty good. I already don't drink soda, or caffeine. I drink water, green tea, and loose leaf tea. My problem is exercise ESP running. all my life i was never a runner.
I also have to watch what i eat better. I used to eat a lot of fried greasy microwave foods, and it was gross. Thanks for the advice!
i can't run.... i was burned badly as a small child and it affected my growth in the one leg and it makes my knee go out of socket if i run on it for long. i have insted decided to use the spin bike and eleyptical for my cardio. it gets your heart pumping and it will be an easy transition for you to go from that to jogging or running.
CARBS ARE THE ENEMY!!!!!! you have to have some but try to avoid them if you can for the most part. it's great that you are in to green tea and h2o. up your intake on the h2o and keep up with the green tea. it will help you because of the antioxidants and other nutrients in it. I love fried greasy foods, but have reallised that you can only eat them in moderation. maybe once a week and a very small portion. i have found that if you try to go cold turkey with it then you are setting yourself up for failure. if you treat yourself once in a while you are less likely to cheat!!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-22-2009, 01:07 PM
FuriousFX's Avatar
FuriousFX FuriousFX is offline
Private
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18
Default

Welcome Amanda!
It seems everyone has already given alot of great advice.
I have some things that I have came up with that have been helping me alot for getting ready for BCT. I originally made this post on [url]www.futuresoldiertrainingcenter.com[/url] but moved it here once I saw your post. Check it out here -> [url]http://www.army.com/forum/showthread.php?p=85763#post85763[/url]
Another thing that has also greatly helped me is cutting back on meats. The only meat I eat is a lot of fish. But to keep the protein up in place of meat I eat a lot of eggs. I basicly made my diet similar to the basic diets of people in Japan.
__________________
(Future Soldier)
M.O.S.: 94E - Radio COMSEC Repairer
BCT Ship Date: 20090804
BCT: Ft. Knox, KY. 20090814
AIT: Ft. Gordon, GA. 20091026
Hometown: Seattle, WA
Status: Excited "Hooah!"
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSap89 View Post
Hey! my name is Amanda, and I'm 20 from NJ. My friend and I have been talking about enlisting in the Army together. She was taken right away, and I cannot be taken yet because i gotta lose some pounds. I am between 5'8 and 5'9, 210lbs, and I joined my friend for PT at the recruiter office, and I FAILED. I have not been in shape for years, because I had no motivation, and the school I went to didn't require us to participate in P.E. Anyways, My friend ships out on Aug 26th I believe, and I'm trying to get in shape ASAP! I really want this, and I would very much appreciate any tips on getting in shape, and losing weight. I started a diet, and I been exercising for like a week. My biggest problem is runnning a mile, and pushups. I am trying so hard to stay motivated and keep my eye on the prize, but I feel somewhat discouraged..
Welcome to the site Amanda, hope you enjoy our crazy debates and hope to see your contris soon.. Some great advice by the others.. Just start off slow, warm up right, train consistantly, cut out junkfood and eat fresh food.... Consistancy is the key, best of luck on your journey...

Exo..
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, exercise, get in shape, intro, weight loss

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.