armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Recruit

Default Online Degree while Active

How feasible is it to achieve a degree while still remaining active duty? I've done a lot of looking into eArmyU and the SOCAD (sp?) program and it looks like it is entirely possible to do but I really have no idea. I would like to stay active for many reasons, but the biggest reason I am looking at online degree's is b/c traditional institution did not work well for me and i want to explore this alternate avenue.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 AM
First Sergeant

While on active duty it is possible to obtain a degree. The Army works like a 9-5 job, so after your done for the day you can go home and start some night/online classes. I've tried online classes before and didn't do to well because I couldn't stay focused. Just make sure that you stay motivated and it's something you really want to do.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingm1a View Post
How feasible is it to achieve a degree while still remaining active duty? I've done a lot of looking into eArmyU and the SOCAD (sp?) program and it looks like it is entirely possible to do but I really have no idea. I would like to stay active for many reasons, but the biggest reason I am looking at online degree's is b/c traditional institution did not work well for me and i want to explore this alternate avenue.

It's actually fairly easy to do it online. You can work on stuff at work and in your spare time. I did my online degree and I was in the field all the time. You have to discipline your self to do what your supposed to do. Most commands will support a Soldier getting his education. Inform your platoon Sgt what your doing and ALWAYS keep him posted on your progress and any events that may interfere with your training.
GOOD LUCK!!
SFC MAC

Old 05-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Private First Class

I have several friends in the army, and they tell me that it is almost impossisable to take classes when your in the field. The recruiters I have spoke with tell me they will send the ones that have class back for class, and after class take you back out. My friends tell me the recruiter is lying to me. Does anyone know the truth I am getting two stories.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Sergeant First Class

Kersey1: I have no idea which to believe! The stories sound too "all or nothing" and I have a feeling that the situation really depends on (1)the sergeant, (2)the soldier, (3)the work they are doing in the field, and much more. Basically, sometimes yes sometimes no.

I have a question about getting a degree online: my soldier has about 3 years left of this contract, and he doesn't want to sign a second contract anymore. He is thinking about becoming a PE teacher when he gets out. Can he still get his education through some online classes while in Korea (where he is currently stationed)? Can he continue using his GI Bill after he leaves the Army to finish up his education? Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey1 View Post
I have several friends in the army, and they tell me that it is almost impossisable to take classes when your in the field. The recruiters I have spoke with tell me they will send the ones that have class back for class, and after class take you back out. My friends tell me the recruiter is lying to me. Does anyone know the truth I am getting two stories.

You obviously cannot do online studies in the field. Most online courses are self paced. So when you have time you need to use it wisely. You take advantage of the fact that the course is online and complete as much of the work as you can when you have the time. I was a Scout when I was active duty and spent more time in the field than garrison every year. It takes an enormous amount of self-discipline to accomplish online studies. When all your buddies are going partying aafter 2 1/2 months in the field you need to have your A** online doing your school work. Itis not impossible but it is very difficult!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Sergeant First Class

I am doing online courses now and so far not bad but you do have to keep them informed on things if you go to the field let that instructor know ussally they will work with you.All my classes are 8 weeks long and I only have one assignment a week so I try to do a few weeks ahead just in case something comes up But being in the military you got all kinds of options to help you out just got to research things so you know what to do when the time comes.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Private First Class

I am wanting to do 42a, so would it be easier to do school with this mos?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Captain

I finished my bachelor's degree while on active duty. Most schools around a military installation will work with you and your hours. When I went to the field or TDY, I was able to get extensions.

My husband takes classes even while deployed and with crappy internet. Most places, if you let them know you are military will work with you. Just know that you have to do your part and get the work done and most will work with you.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Private First Class

I know that I will go out to the feild, but I was told with the mos 42a you son't go out that much and I should be able to school very easily. I would also told that 42a's work like a 9-5m-f. Is this all true or am I being lied too?