armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Recruit

Default Crossroad in life

I initially applied for Army flight as a backup plan for the Army. The Navy originally rejected me so I started doing lots of research and got accepted for Army flight school. About a week after branch selections came out, I was then informed that the Navy accepted me into flight school... and now I'm having a really hard time deciding.

And let's face it, the army pilots are AMAZING. I passed the physical for the Army but I know that I will take another physical for the Navy during API after my initial one. This concerns me because then the Navy could take away my aviator slot and I would be forced into another branch or have my aviator slot reduced down to Naval Flight Officer (NFO). If I go Army, I know that I'm already qualified.

If you guys have any recommendations or suggestions, please throw them my way. I'm really TORN between Navy or Army. (By the way, I'm going in as a 2nd LT, not a WO).

Regards,

Dilly

Old 04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
General of the Armies

I suppose you need to look at the profile of birds the Army and Navy fly, carrier life V land based assignments, and decide if you want to Go Army or Go Navy... Personally, its a no Brainer.. Army all the way... afterall, it is Army.com....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Brigadier General

I'll vote for Army. Even though I was in the Navy for 6 years I was in the Army for 21!

You'd more than likely be flying fighters in the USN & helicopters in the Army. Each has it's downsides. You'd have to make carrier landings in indifferent weather & fighters don't have a very long glide pattern but then again helicopters don't have any glide pattern. When they stop flying they go down like a rock.

The Navy has classier wings but in the Army you'd be supporting my people, the Grunts. My son has half a mind to try for warrant pilot training. He loved the copters when he was a Ranger. They transported them, they gave covering fire & they were never more than a few seconds away from Ranger raiding missions.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDawg View Post
I initially applied for Army flight as a backup plan for the Army. The Navy originally rejected me so I started doing lots of research and got accepted for Army flight school. About a week after branch selections came out, I was then informed that the Navy accepted me into flight school... and now I'm having a really hard time deciding.

And let's face it, the army pilots are AMAZING. I passed the physical for the Army but I know that I will take another physical for the Navy during API after my initial one. This concerns me because then the Navy could take away my aviator slot and I would be forced into another branch or have my aviator slot reduced down to Naval Flight Officer (NFO). If I go Army, I know that I'm already qualified.

If you guys have any recommendations or suggestions, please throw them my way. I'm really TORN between Navy or Army. (By the way, I'm going in as a 2nd LT, not a WO).

Regards,

Dilly
Different strokes for different folks.....It all depends on what type of life you want within the military..no one can make your mind up for you...you can ask for advice and get it... but....at the end of the day...its your pick.

My dad was navy...my uncles were Army and my grandad was Air Force.....I chose Army from the get go
Army do things better then the navy ...and the same other way

Do what you think is right for you...you rarely get an unbiased opinion ...I guess theres arguments for both options

Good luck
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Different strokes for different folks.....It all depends on what type of life you want within the military..no one can make your mind up for you...you can ask for advice and get it... but....at the end of the day...its your pick.

My dad was navy...my uncles were Army and my grandad was Air Force.....I chose Army from the get go
Army do things better then the navy ...and the same other way

Do what you think is right for you...you rarely get an unbiased opinion ...I guess theres arguments for both options

Good luck
Uggh!! You sound like my dad!

Yeah, I know it ultimately comes down to me. And I know as an officer I'll have to face tougher decisions in my life but this truly is the decision that determines the next 20 years of my life.

In the event I do not enjoy Naval aviation (after my 8 years are due), can I transfer over to Army aviation as either a commissioned officer or WO? (Time & pay has no bearing on my decision)

Best Regards,

Dilly

Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Uggh!! You sound like my dad!

Yeah, I know it ultimately comes down to me. And I know as an officer I'll have to face tougher decisions in my life but this truly is the decision that determines the next 20 years of my life.

In the event I do not enjoy Naval aviation (after my 8 years are due), can I transfer over to Army aviation as either a commissioned officer or WO? (Time & pay has no bearing on my decision)

Best Regards,

Dilly
I sound like your dad?...well he must be a very intelligent bloke...Im not from the US so I dont know the ins and outs of how it works in your county.

Decision is yours.

The 50/50 option is pretty useless
You can keep on asking the audience?
Or you can phone a friend!!!

good luck
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:

Regards,

Dilly
From what I have been told, you may not get much stick time in the Army as an Officer.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
From what I have been told, you may not get much stick time in the Army as an Officer.
As a CO compared to Warrants exactly. Warrants specialize compared to commissioned officers and dont have to play all the staff assignment games. Flight school at Rucker is 18 months and I dont know how long the flight program is in the Navy. About switching if you dont like the Navy? Well, to go Warrant is much harder than commissioned so the choice is up to you but dont shoot yourself in the foot.

WO1 Q