armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Private

Send a message via Yahoo to Madd_Matt410
Default Enlistment Bonus Going Away?

Im just curious about a topic me and my recruiter have been talking about. I talked to my recruiter yesterday and im not trying to join until May. If I joined now I would get 20,000 dollar bonus. My recruiter is telling me now soon to come they are doing away with these bonuses. Do any of you have any knowledge or more info on this? Im not in it for the money but you know that is just a plus. Thanks, Matt

Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Bonus's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd_Matt410 View Post
Im just curious about a topic me and my recruiter have been talking about. I talked to my recruiter yesterday and im not trying to join until May. If I joined now I would get 20,000 dollar bonus. My recruiter is telling me now soon to come they are doing away with these bonuses. Do any of you have any knowledge or more info on this? Im not in it for the money but you know that is just a plus. Thanks, Matt
Matt,
Bonus money is usually allotted for MOS's that have a critical shortage or for overall recruitment numbers. The Army over thast several months has met or exceeded it's recruitment goals. Because of that the Army is able to be more selective about who they take and what they give recruits as far as incentives go. Your recruiter is PROBABLY shooting straight with you. Have you thought about the Delayed Entry Program? You could go ahead and enlist, with the bonus but delay your entry into the Army up to a year from now. That would gaurentee your bonus and give you plenty of time to get ready for BCT. You dont have to wait the full year but you could take as much time as you needed.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Private

I did that when I joined the Air Force and it took me forever to leave. FOREVER. I finally got quick shipped out. Im not much worried about the bonus its just a big plus side. Thanks, Matt

Old 03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Sergeant

if you would do delayed entry i dont think you would have any trouble leaving around the same time, if you wait till may to sign up chances are you wont be able to ship out until july or so anyways, and then you pretty much either have to take whatever mos is left or wait until the one you want is available, with delayed you can choose your mos now and not have to wait as long if theres on particular that you want.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Private

My mom wont let me do that. I am living with her at the moment and not paying any bills so I do as she says. She wont let me sign any forms or anything until I get out of college in May. Im not worried much about the wait. You dont even know how long it takes the Air Force to ship people out. Normally 6 months at the least. If the bonus has gone away oh well. In the air force bonus Lol my Liason told me thats unheard of in the AIr Force. So its not like im doing without.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 AM
Brigadier General

Bonuses have a tendency to dry up in May & June when everyone is graduating. There are seasonal bonuses, bonuses for different areas of the country where recruiting goals aren't being met & bonuses available for shortage MOSs.

In my state of Wisconsin the recruiting numbers are up 15% for Active Army & Army Reserve compared to last year. I'm sure it's nationwide due to the economy.

Under normal circumstances there was usually a bonus in Dec., Jan, & Feb. which used to be traditionally a slow period for recruiting.

I think you'll see the Army cut way down on bonuses & be much more selective in allowing people in with waivers. They can afford to do that now.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Tags
bonus