armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Brigadier General

With the amount of time that passed since your offenses it's possible that waivers would be granted with no problems if you've had a clean record since. It's also possible that your age could be waived for WOFT.

I wouldn't trust the Recruiter's word you could get flight training after BCT & AIT. Try to get it in your contract. My experience with Recruiters is such that I realize their only goal is to get you in the Army. If you go to them without a sponsor then there's no watchdog like USAREC monitoring your progress. However - that's still an option if your goal is not only to be a pilot but to get into the Army. In today's economy & job security many are looking at the Army for a steady job & free training.

I had to monitor my son's enlistment right until he went to BCT. He wanted Infantry Airborne Ranger & they constantly wanted him to do something else. They almost made him a leg Cavalry Scout until I intervened. There was nothing wrong with that MOS but it was definitely not what he wanted.

National Guard is one option but the only way you could go to WOFT would be if the have Warrant Officer slots & a need for helicoptor pilots. In the Regular Army there are a lot more slots

Good luck!

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
First Sergeant

Just a friendly piece of advice. I originally wanted to be an AH-64 pilot myself but found out I was disqualified due to red/green colorblindness. Check to see if you have this prior to setting you goals on being a pilot or you will be crushed when you go to MEPS and find this out. Damn genetics.