armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Armies of the World
User Name
Password

Old 11-26-2005, 05:25 AM
Major General

Quote:
as you probibly know 70% of the SAS are Scotish
I keep hearing this . Do you have any proof to back it up ?

Old 11-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLLOssie
The Gallipoli battlefield was a testing ground for Australian troops. It was here that they were tested and brought out their nation's worth, and their quality as men of this world. They had matched themselves against the best and more!
Sorry to interupt ,but we lost at gallipoli . The only troops that achieved their objectives were the Ghurkas .
Quote:
The Australian army is indeed unique, and in MY oppinion, the greatest fighting force in the Post-Modern era(1900-2005)
I wouldn't mess with them .But they've not a had that much to do ,compared to the British army . So your claim is a little over the top !
Quote:
They fought well above their weight.
against who exactly ?
Quote:
Had a ferocious boldness in battle, and under pressure were independent
agreed
Quote:
unlike their british counterparts!
This is where you really start talking crap
Quote:
They were cheeky, friendly and respected their enemies.
You could say this about any Army
Quote:
One photo i saw as of an australian soldier giving a wounded turk a drink of his water out in the middle of a desert.
wow! really ? lol . I bet nobody else has ever done that except the Aussies
Quote:
We were shock troopers on the battlefields, always making the enemy fear us,
Always useful for an army !
Quote:
and were cheeky to our commanding officers
. lol and the point of you telling us this would be ?
Quote:
We broke the hindenburg line, mounted the last great cavalry charge in history.
please supply details
Quote:
Always faced odds and won.
Not at Gallipoli!
Quote:
And we earned ourselves a signiture quality, mateship and we are primarily best used in close combat.
The British Army use bayonets ,the Ghurkas use Knives .All are used in close combat .
Quote:
British commanders made sure always to have an aussie regiment in their army
.Supply evidence please .I have never heard this in 25 years of reading !
Quote:
We held off torbuk from the German Desert Fox
Yes you did ,And the British merchant fleet and RAF kept you supplied
Quote:
saved East Timor from warlords with such success that the people of the area respect us deeply
. Yes you did . How many Ghurka battalions were sent to east Timor? Any idea ?(They came from their base in Brunei by the way)
Quote:
I think it was General Allenby from WWII, who said something like this 'Give me a battalion of Australians, and i will conquer the whole world!'
Last I heard it was Rommel ,prior to that I heard it was mao tse tung . Sounds like something a journalist would say

Quote:
The fact is, the world and most of australia herself even, do not even realise any of these qualities of the OZ army. It is a fact! Hardly anybody knows.
Get real, The austrailian Army are widely known as an excellent force to have fighting with you .Its hardly TOP SECRET !

Quote:
The ANZAC qualities of bravery, perseverance, mateship, determination and all the other positive aspects that can be found in the story are still what we would show if we were tested again.
The same qualities are found in many Armies

Quote:
I have seen on various forums, the British boys bragging over the battle of Rourkes Drift. In the manner in which 300British soldiers fought off 4,000 Zulus. I argue, you only won because the Zulus honoured your fighting, if they hadn't of walked off that day, the battle would have ended that day, with the Zulus's taking the small encampment.
Possibly ,but the fact remains that they fought them off against heavy odds

Quote:
I argue that we have something better! Ever heard oif the battle of Thermoplyae? In which 300Spartans held off 1,000,000 Persians in 480BCE. Well this proud country has her equivalent! It was the Battle of Isurava, a battle during world war 2 in Papua new Guniea, during the Japanese offensive. It was in the manner in which several hundred inadequately trained and supplied young aussie volunteers held off 10,000 of Japan's best combat troops, and held off for several days under constant attack and bombardment. The stubborn resistance of australian troops blunted the Japanese drive and pretty much just screwed up the entire japanese timetable for invasion of Port Moresby and then Australia.
And the US fleet had nothing to do with it did it not . It may have escaped your attention but the US fleet were highly active in that area of the Pacific as well
Quote:
Our enemies fear us, and respect us. We aren't warmongerers, but will fight for what is ours and or beliefs! We were born to fight, and are the most aggressive army in the world! Just try standing up to sportsman in combat! We are a small army, but in war numbers alone confer no advantage.
We've been here before . They are good ,but so are many others .

Quote:
We think logically in battle. For example in Vietnam, Yanki troops walked around blazing music, hoping to get the enemy to them. The aussies went around quietly and stealthly, hunting the vietcong. The SAS were easily head and shoulders the best special forces in the world. The US commanders told the Aussie commandos in Vietnam to do a job. Very shortly the aussies came back, saying they had done the job. The Yanks didn't believe them, so they said to go back and bring some evidence. They did, it was their enemies genitals.
Still didn't win in Vietnam though did you ?

Quote:
I stress to know that the world and even most of australia do not know of the aussie army's achevements and qualities. Instead of being given credit for roles in battle, it is their foreign commanders who take the credit, the poms or yanks. We are swept under the rug, so that the truth is never told.
Absolute Bollocks . You are seriously talking crap now . We all know the Austrailian contribution . Pick up any book . It tells quite vivid accounts of Austrailian heroism .You haven't told me anything new . I already new all this stuff you keep prattling on about !
Quote:
One last thing i will conclude with, is in Singapore, the Japs had invaded. The british commanders ordered all australian troops to surrender and smash the rifles of the ground. One aussie veteran from the area said all the men were crying when braking the rifles, because they wanted to fight! They said we were born fighters, and they knew they could deal a massive blow to the japs if allowed to fight. The british commanders had betrayed them!
More bull**** . Read up pal ,your version of this event is seriously out . There were 16,000 British, 14,000 Australian and 32,000 Indian taken prisoner
Quote:
And for that 16,000 aussies were forced to suffer in changi prison and along the burma railways.
14,000 actually .Again you play the badly done to when in fact there were more British and Indian troops taken prisoner here
Quote:
Oh yah, this guy who lived up the road from my house was old and fought during ww2. He said that an oz soldier was given a higher rank to officer. He turned dog on him and his mates, so they threw a grenade in the tent while the officer was sleeping and killed him. The fact was this happened often. You turn dog on an aussie in battle and he will make you pay!
Thats a court martial offence with the end result being a firing squad !

Quote:
One LAST thing
another one ???
Quote:
is there was *** soldiers coming down the road on bikes in singapore, the aussies, though outnumbered, leaped an ambush on them. Everytime a *** was bayoneted once, he squeeled like a pig. But this aussie veteran from that fight on this documentary, said he was bayoneted twenty times by the japs, and he kept fighting, he did not squeel once. He showed all the scars across his body too. This was the same for all the aussies in that battle.
Oh well, i've had my talk, what have you's got to say? (This is not just patriotic talk, this is fact)
You've ended this drawn out rant with a completely mindless pile of old bollocks . If I stick you with a bayonet . I can assure you ,You would scream for mercy .But 20 TIMES ...LOL!!!

Last edited by Texas; 11-26-2005 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Sergeant First Class

love those fantastic facts TEXAS. well said i mean the ozzies are good but lets not dis the british army to prove a point

we are good but we have made some mistakes who has'nt

Old 11-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
I keep hearing this . Do you have any proof to back it up ?

it was an exSAS trooper himself that said it......on one of them reality TV shows i cant mind
the name of the show but he(and a few others)tryed to train some civies into becoming
elite solders.........i dont watch reality TV shows myself but i was channel flicking at the time

im not going to make up somthing come on here and say somthing like that
especially when theres people on here that know more about the subject than me
i mean the guy could be wrong but being exSAS i doubt it

Old 11-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Second Lieutenant

i wasent dissing the british army mate i wouldent do that i have mates in the army and i also have family members who were in the army id be in it myself if it wasent for having psoriasis

Last edited by Zeus185; 11-27-2005 at 12:34 AM..

Old 11-27-2005, 04:00 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus185
it was an exSAS trooper himself that said it......on one of them reality TV shows i cant mind
the name of the show but he(and a few others)tryed to train some civies into becoming
elite solders.........i dont watch reality TV shows myself but i was channel flicking at the time

im not going to make up somthing come on here and say somthing like that
especially when theres people on here that know more about the subject than me
i mean the guy could be wrong but being exSAS i doubt it
We all like to shout about our contribution . National pride is fine by me .
But Scotland has a population of approx 6 million .That leaves 54 million that are contributing 30 % of the total strength of the SAS . You see where I 'm heading ?
That said ,It wouldn't suprise me at all if the Scots were providing more than their fair share of SAS candidates . But 70 % ??

Old 11-27-2005, 06:51 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to royal marine

thanks texas someone actually backs me up

Old 11-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas
We all like to shout about our contribution . National pride is fine by me .
But Scotland has a population of approx 6 million .That leaves 54 million that are contributing 30 % of the total strength of the SAS . You see where I 'm heading ?
That said ,It wouldn't suprise me at all if the Scots were providing more than their fair share of SAS candidates . But 70 % ??

i agree with you......it sounded a bit fishy to me too but since the guy was in the SAS i just took it as red you know...

Old 11-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Command Sergeant Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal marine
thanks texas someone actually backs me up
yeah, someone has to, and it aint gonna be me.

as for dissing the brit army, im not. im dissing a brit who's dissing the Australian army. Royalmarine is a fool, and has absolutely no evidence to back up his claims.

for example:

Quote:
how is your SAS different to ours
our SAS trains yours.......yes you were in iraq but you were right behind the lines and hardly ever got into any action,hence only 1 loss in iraq and afghanistan,and what i meant was YOU fighting on your own against some ragheads
absolute crap. the Australian SASR is taught, trained, drilled and tested by AUSTRALIAN officers, who have had over 30 years experience.

the SASR were at the FOREFRONT of the Western desert assault, being the closest coalition force to Baghdad for the first 96 hours of war, that is, when the British took Basra and the US First Division Armour (i think) drove in.

The Australians saw their first enemy force only two hours after crossing the border from Kuwait, when they unloaded two bus loads of 'apparent conscripts', disarmed them, and sent them on their way.

within the next 24 hours, the SASR had reported only three engagements, involving over 250 Iraqi regulars... not RAGHEADS you ****wit marine.

although enemy casualty figures are not released by the Australian Army, it is understood that a majority of these forces surrendered.

other missions later in the first two months involved securing Highway one, where it was understood that Jordanian hardline Islamics would try to enter Baghdad to confront US forces already occupying the city.

another SASR mission also involved capturing and securing the Kubayasah cement works, near al Asad, and the nearby al Asad airfield, where they also secured the remainder of the Iraqi air force... you know, the ones the US spy planes missed.

so mr royal marine, if you call that behind the front line, i'd hate to think what you consider a full on enemy engagement. perhaps you are a just a simpleton, and dont understand the full operational capabilities of your own armed force.

if you want me to elaborate any further, id be happy to, as all these facts and operational overviews are from the book 'The Amazing SAS', by Ian McPhedran, HarperCollins publishing, ISBN 0 7322 7981 X.

now, enough of your bull**** Royalmarine. i dont have time for you, shall we talk fact now??

by the way, mr allaussie. although i know a little about the light horse regiment, i understand they were involved in the charge at Balaklava on the Crimean Penninsula around 1854?? not sure of the year. if so, doesnt that mean they were already an existing regiment before the formation of the Australian Imperial Force in 1915?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:15 AM
Private First Class

I suppose really texas, that you have to live in acountry to understand it, unstead of being a complete wanker. I said my army was the best because i had thouroghly researched the facts. And it was my oppinion as stated, so why have a sook?

That bayoneted 2otimes was on the ANZAC day commerative show they played on that day. This war veteran lifted up his shirt and showed us viewers all the scars.

The grenade in tent thing, how can i be upheld for charges???How the ****?????? It is true, said by the veterans wanker. You wouldn't know anyway coss your a ****ing yank! Not australian!

And in most war books based on australia, it states that many would not even have realised that australia was even in the war. In australia here, you talk about it to poeple and they never knew. Hell, they dont even teach you it in 20thcentury at school, only about bloody england, germany and western front.They dont tell you the real stories.
I have read countless letters by soldiers themselves and is how i sum up my research. Though i agree with you on the not including other allies. I am too brief at times, and am rushy.

AND ****!!! about that testing ground in gallipoli, and your reply was the most arrogant ever. You are not australian, you DO NOT, know what it means to be one. The diggers are gods to us. It is what many would have close to a religion. It was a testing ground and we ANZACs passed it. It was to test how we would fare in battle. And we still charged the guns and died. just like the other Kiwi anzacs, french and british.

Facing odds and winning against all proportion to their numbers. Look up the battle of Romani, long tan, isurava, tobruk and korean battles etc.

In the battle of isurava alone was performed entirely by aussies. the yanks ships could not climb mountains, not yank participated in that kokoda battle. that i know of. I was australian involvment ther.e im not talking about a ****ing naval battle.

You lost in vietnam and brought everything down with it.

To ossiesolja: just bought the amazing sas today. I read half of it so far. It is amazinf what they did alone in timor and how the americans loved em in afghan and iraq.

THE FOLOWING ARE COPIES AND PASTES FROM WEBSITES:

The ANZAC Spirit.
The ANZACS and the Turks dug many miles of trenches along the beaches. With the Turks in front of them and the seas behind them, the Australians dug in and defended their trenches ruthlessly, giving rise to the term Digger, an Australia who never quits under hardship. It was a desperate time requiring endurance and courage on both sides and was not helped by poor leadership from the British High Command in London.

If sniper fire didnít get you, then gangrene, typhus, and no fresh food or water probably would. This dragged on for the next eight months and cost 8,000 Australian lives alone before the decision was made at the end of 1915 to abandon the beach heads. The Allied forces withdrew the remaining troops leaving their fallen comrades behind.

At that time Australia had been a Federated Nation for only 15 years. So while the landing of Gallipoli was not a success, it did bring the nation together as a whole for the first time.

Australia has a tradition of cutting down Tall Poppies, people who succeed, yet defending the underdog and making heroes of those who fail in noble causes despite great effort. Some examples of these are Ned Kelly, our most famous Bush Ranger, the Eureka Stockade, the closest Australia has ever come to civil war, and of course the famous Swagman popularised in the song Waltzing Matilda.

Thus has become the ANZAC spirit; bold and ferocious in battle but Ö unwilling to bow to military discipline. To be an ANZAC is to hold headfast in battle, to die with a smile, and yet never to succumb to authority.

To be an Australian is to do your best for your family and country against all odds with not a small amount of disdain and irreverence for the authorities.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They shall not grow old,
As we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning,
We will remember them.

For the Fallen, by Laurence Binyon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lest we forget.

THE FOLLOWING ARE QUOTES:
---------
It was the birth of a nation, and one can only hope that this thought provided some comfort to the parents of the Anzac whose very Australian headstone stands where the first landing took place. It reads:

Died aged 18 near this spot
April 25, 1915
Did his best.

Phillip Knightley, Australia: A Biography of a Nation, 2000

The West Australians assumed that death was certain, and each in the secret places of his mind debated how he would go to it. Mate, having said goodbye to mate ... went forward to meet death instantly, running as straight and swiftly as they could at the Turkish rifles. With that regiment went the flower of the youth of Western Australia ...

War Historian C. Bean who was stationed at Gallipoli during WW1

The Australian soldier of legend was enterprising and independent, loyal, bold, egalitarian, cheerfully undisciplined and contemptuous of the class of British officers.

Blood, guts and the stuff of legend, SMH, 24 June 2005

Today is about compassion, about endurance against overwhelming odds, about mateship, it is about a 'fair go' - these are the values that were lived by our Anzacs and our Aussie boys on the Western Front and at Gallipoli

NSW Veterans Affairs Minister Danna Vale, Sydney Morning Herald, Anzac Day 2002

Australian soldiers have always achieved successed out of all proportion to their numbers. It is just that these great victories were overlooked at the time and then later obscured by military historians.

Peter Firkins, The Australians in Nine Wars: Waikato to Long Tan.

We do not glorify war on Anzac Day. Far from it. We remember the dreadful loss of lives in the many gallant battles fought by those brave young men who stepped forward when called upon to serve their country. Nor are we agressive, but we believe in showing the future enemy that we are so determined to defend our shores that he should think twice before taking on the Sons of Anzac!

Sir Colin Hines, President, R.S.L. (NSW) 1977

It is a story of great valour under fire, unity of purpose and a willingness to fight against the odds that has helped to define what it means to be an Australian

Prime Minister John Howard, on the death of the last Anzac, Alec Cambell, Sydney Morning Herald, 17 May 2002

The British troops were suffering from 'an atrophy of mind and body that is appalling... The physique of those at Suvla is not to be compared with the Australians. Nor, indeed, is their intelligence... They are merely a lot of childlike youths without strength to endure or brains to improve their condition... After the first day at Suvla an order had to be issued to officers to shoot without mercy any soldiers who lagged behind or loitered in an advance... [By contrast] It is stirring to see them [the Australians].. they have the noble faces of men who have endured. Oh, if you could picture Anzac as I have seen it, you would find that to be an Australian is the greatest privilege the world has to offer'

Phillip Knightley quoting Keith Murdoch, father of Rupert, who wrote from Gallipoli in 1915.
Australia: A Biography of a Nation, 2000