armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Private

Default Army mom, new member

Hello everyone,

I just found this site while searching my son's unit/grad date looking for other families in his unit. My son is 11X at Fort Benning, my daughter is 25U in ARNG, and my 'future son' is at FLW for 31B.

If anyone has any advice or tips, please pass them on. Especially about Fort Gordon.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Brigadier General

Welcome Mom! Wow - you have a mixed bag. A commo weenie, a grunt & an Army cop. Ought to make for interesting conversations. I can relate to Commo & Infantry because I was both. Mostly Airborne Infantry but I took a First Sgt slot in a Commo Company in Desert Storm, also Airborne.

My son left active duty a year ago. He was 11B Army Airborne Ranger. He opted to go into a Reserve unit as an Instructor before he even left the Active Army. Because he was still in he got a nice bonus & a guarantee of not being deployed for 2 years. He left Active Army as a SGT & is now a SSG in Reserves.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Private

Thank you Glenn,

Your son sounds like an amazing young man. Was he active duty for very long?

Mine couldn't get an Airborne slot. Maybe he should have held out for it, but he wanted to ship asap. And Benning had already started their spring/summer rush in April. There's been several drops in his company since he got there, so that would mean a few more slots opened up. But if they were over booked, they might not refill those slots by giving the option. I've also heard that sometimes a Soldier can get sent to an Airborne unit, and then sent back to Benning for jump school. Maybe he'll get one down the road, but we're not holding our breathe.

He's in white phase now and spending most of his time on the range. Really enjoying it. Well, as much as you can, being that it's OSUT at Ft Benning. The only wish I have is that they would make him run unstead of dropping him. He's good to go on pushups, but the 5 mile/45 minute is a concern.

My daughter is the competitive one, and I made the mistake of pointing out that her training won't be on the same level as his, so she'll try to out perform all the guys in her unit. And she probably will. She already outranks the boys, and likes to remind them.

I can picture the three of them arguing now about which is better, tougher, etc. Should make for interesting Christmas dinners.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymom09 View Post
Hello everyone,

I just found this site while searching my son's unit/grad date looking for other families in his unit. My son is 11X at Fort Benning, my daughter is 25U in ARNG, and my 'future son' is at FLW for 31B.

If anyone has any advice or tips, please pass them on. Especially about Fort Gordon.
Welcome to the forums armymom09...sound like your whole family is playing their parts...Thats fantastic!!

Sounds like your Christmas dinners will be great!!!

Hats off to you and your family....and good luck for the future
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Captain

Welcome to the forum! You must be so proud. Thanks to your family for protecting our nation.

My mom could relate to you. Both my brothers and I all served in the military. Two Army and one Marine. I always outranked my brothers too, lol.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymom09 View Post
Thank you Glenn,

Your son sounds like an amazing young man. Was he active duty for very long?

Mine couldn't get an Airborne slot. Maybe he should have held out for it, but he wanted to ship asap. And Benning had already started their spring/summer rush in April. There's been several drops in his company since he got there, so that would mean a few more slots opened up. But if they were over booked, they might not refill those slots by giving the option. I've also heard that sometimes a Soldier can get sent to an Airborne unit, and then sent back to Benning for jump school. Maybe he'll get one down the road, but we're not holding our breathe.

He's in white phase now and spending most of his time on the range. Really enjoying it. Well, as much as you can, being that it's OSUT at Ft Benning. The only wish I have is that they would make him run unstead of dropping him. He's good to go on pushups, but the 5 mile/45 minute is a concern.

My daughter is the competitive one, and I made the mistake of pointing out that her training won't be on the same level as his, so she'll try to out perform all the guys in her unit. And she probably will. She already outranks the boys, and likes to remind them.

I can picture the three of them arguing now about which is better, tougher, etc. Should make for interesting Christmas dinners.
My son was on active duty for 4 years, 16 weeks. Rangers had shorter deployment time because there was so much that they had to train for that they weren't actually doing in Iraq & Afghanistan. The Army run portion of the PT test is 2 miles & the time is dependant on which age group he's in. He'll do fine.

There's a possibility that he'll be able to volunteer for Airborne School while in OSUT. Sometimes Airborne Recruiters will come by OSUT looking for volunteers to fill empty slots. Same goes for 75th Ranger Regt. Recruiters for RIP classes. I wouldn't advise that unless he can pass the APFT with a minimum score of 70% in the 17-21 age group. Airborne School is automatic then. All Rangers in the 75th are jump qualified. OSUT & Airborne School are not enough to get up to the physical requirements. Rangers consider the PT they get there as just a warmup. In my son's OSUT class all of those who volunteered for Airborne School got in. About half of his class went but some of them already had that in their contracts. Of those who didn't have RIP contract there were two who volunteered & were accepted.

My son is reaping the benefits of having been in the Army. He's going to school, Criminal Justice, free. He has up to $50,000 to spend & he also collects a stipend of $1300 a month while he's in school. At the same time he gets paid to go to Reserves & he's still eligible for unemployment comp.

Those kids deserve everything they get.

Thank you for raising such fine American patriots. Good luck in finding a Blue Star pennant with 3 stars on it. I had trouble finding a 2 - star flag which I was authorized - one for my son & one for me.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Private

Thank you all for the welcomes! I'll probably be lurkng around here from time to time hunting for info as the kids make their journeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
My mom could relate to you. Both my brothers and I all served in the military. Two Army and one Marine. I always outranked my brothers too, lol.
Yeah, it's unlikely that they will catch up to her. If she decides to go ROTC route in college, it will get real interesting. Her brother won't like having to salute her. Right now she's ARNG and he's AA, but he may go ARNG when he finishes his initial enlistment.

MSG Glenn As for RIP, the run times are going to be an issue for him. He's really big (over weight limits but OK on BFI). He has upper body strength, but has short legs and doesn't run very fast. He is going to try to get Airborne though.

The educational benefits are amazing, and very well deserved.