armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 05-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Recruit

Red face Basic training for female 38years old

Hi! I got it in my head to join the army at 38 years old.
Delayed for Ft. Jackson till 20090728.
I'm scared out of my mind that I won't fit in and end up solo the whole time.
I'm a very youthful and athletic female, you would guess my age no more than 26.
But the whole teenager thing has me worried as to how I will be able to do.
I 'm scared truthfully as to what's in store for someone my age.
Hopefully they won't call me granny or anything.
Plus I hear that they make the oldest person the platoon leader, I'm extremely quite...
I don't talk about my worries with anyone I know, I don't want them to think I made a
mistake so I keep it to myself.

Just venting a little..thanks!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Private

I wouldn't worry about it to much, but I kinda understand how you feel. I am 28 and will be going to Ft Knox in August. In my own preparation to tackle my worries I have been studying everything I can, and working out every day. In terms of getting along with teenagers and such, I don't think it will be so bad. It seems everyone is anxious to meet their future battle buddies and to get ready to pull each other through BCT. Check out the forums at [url]http://www.futuresoldiertrainingcenter.com[/url] and jump in the chat rooms every now and then, you'll be sure to get to now some people that with be shipping to the same place and time as you are.
BCT: Ft. Knox, KY. 20090814
AIT: Ft. Gordon, GA. 20091026
Hometown: Seattle, WA

Old 05-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Recruit

Hey there, my husband is 35 yrs old and is training at Ft. Jackson now. He's schedualed to graduate on June 5. I think it's wonderful that you joined and I thank you for your service to our country! My husband was over weight and out of shape when he joined the military, but he started running and eating right prior to shipping off to basic. He started out in the C-grp and is now running in the A-grp. My feeling is....show them all up! He's getting a great deal of respect for coming so far in a short amount of time but more than that, it's heart that got him from C-grp to A-grp and he almost maxed out is PT. I have a feeling you're going to do really well and everyone there is going through the same thing no matter if your 38 or 18. They're right there along side of you. Best of luck.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Captain

When I went to basic training at 18, one of my favorite people was a girl named Irene who was 35. She was GREAT! We all looked up to her and respected her and worked harder to keep up with her.

As far as them making older people Platoon Leaders, you have to earn that position, it's not handed out because of age. Some of the older recruits do end up in that position because they prove themselves to be beyond some of the teenage angst some newbies go through at Basic Training (you know, first time away from home, new experience and all).

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
When I went to basic training at 18, one of my favorite people was a girl named Irene who was 35. She was GREAT! We all looked up to her and respected her and worked harder to keep up with her.

As far as them making older people Platoon Leaders, you have to earn that position, it's not handed out because of age. Some of the older recruits do end up in that position because they prove themselves to be beyond some of the teenage angst some newbies go through at Basic Training (you know, first time away from home, new experience and all).

Good luck!
My Liason basicly told me the same thing. I am going in as a PFC, and because I am 28 she said that it would be more likely for me to be assigned as a Squad or Platoon Leader because I am older than other PFCs coming in. What rank are you going in as MrsLili?
BCT: Ft. Knox, KY. 20090814
AIT: Ft. Gordon, GA. 20091026
Hometown: Seattle, WA

Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Brigadier General

Leadership positions in BCT are very temporary. My son got fired & rehired the same day from a squad leader position. Two days later he was a platoon leader, got fired the next day & was rehired the next week. They do that on purpose to keep them on their toes. Unless the recruit is a sad sack he'll probably be cycled in one position or another.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLili View Post
Hi! I got it in my head to join the army at 38 years old.
Delayed for Ft. Jackson till 20090728.
I'm scared out of my mind that I won't fit in and end up solo the whole time.
I'm a very youthful and athletic female, you would guess my age no more than 26.
But the whole teenager thing has me worried as to how I will be able to do.
I 'm scared truthfully as to what's in store for someone my age.
Hopefully they won't call me granny or anything.
Plus I hear that they make the oldest person the platoon leader, I'm extremely quite...
I don't talk about my worries with anyone I know, I don't want them to think I made a
mistake so I keep it to myself.

Just venting a little..thanks!
Dont worry about being older, I trained with older ladz and those who made it were fine. Just try to loose any "expectations" you may have and go with the flow... if an instructor is yelling at you, its to build you into a soldier... get into it, dont get offended by it, and learn to let the yelling motivate you, not offend you... afterall, you will be in a great place, you are learning to be a warrior for your nation, its a state service of the highest ranking of honour amoungst the nations of the free world...

Ex...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"