armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default Getting college degree while active

Ok, so my soldier is currently stationed in South Korea, and has recently decided that he would like to become a high school Physical Education teacher and/or an Army ROTC teacher assistant. He still has 3 years left of the 4-year contract he signed, and he does not plan on signing another contract with the Army after this one. What should he do now to take college classes during the deployments?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
Ok, so my soldier is currently stationed in South Korea, and has recently decided that he would like to become a high school Physical Education teacher and/or an Army ROTC teacher assistant. He still has 3 years left of the 4-year contract he signed, and he does not plan on signing another contract with the Army after this one. What should he do now to take college classes during the deployments?
He should first go see his education counselor on his camp. Being that he is in Korea and not actually deployed, they may offer classes on his camp through Central Texas College or University of Maryland.

But like I said, he should go see an education counselor and get his class layout to plan for his degree.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:28 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
He should first go see his education counselor on his camp. Being that he is in Korea and not actually deployed, they may offer classes on his camp through Central Texas College or University of Maryland.

But like I said, he should go see an education counselor and get his class layout to plan for his degree.
Thanks for the suggestion. I know that he isn't currently "deployed" and that Korea is just his PCS for now, but he will have deployments in the future when he might be working on college classes.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Captain

If he gets his degree layout now with an education counselor, he will know what classes he will need to take and he can figure out which ones can be taken online should he be deployed in the future. The key to taking classes while deployed is to let your online teachers know that you are deployed. Most everyone has the luxury of having internet in their rooms both in Afghanistan and Iraq (there are exceptions of course) so going to school while deployed is an option. My husband has taken college classes while deployed, he just let his teachers know what was going on and if needed would ask for extensions.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
If he gets his degree layout now with an education counselor, he will know what classes he will need to take and he can figure out which ones can be taken online should he be deployed in the future. The key to taking classes while deployed is to let your online teachers know that you are deployed. Most everyone has the luxury of having internet in their rooms both in Afghanistan and Iraq (there are exceptions of course) so going to school while deployed is an option. My husband has taken college classes while deployed, he just let his teachers know what was going on and if needed would ask for extensions.
That sounds good, thanks! What if he doesn't get all of the college classes in before his contract is up? Does he still get to continue on the track he's on (whatever that may be through the Army) or will he have to transfer to another college? Or will that all depend on the college, the track he is on, the classes he needs to take, etc etc etc?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
That sounds good, thanks! What if he doesn't get all of the college classes in before his contract is up? Does he still get to continue on the track he's on (whatever that may be through the Army) or will he have to transfer to another college? Or will that all depend on the college, the track he is on, the classes he needs to take, etc etc etc?
Does he have his G.I. Bill, he can continue no matter what his status is in the military.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Does he have his G.I. Bill, he can continue no matter what his status is in the military.
Thank you so much for all your help! I really do appreciate it!