armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Recruit

Default ROTC Suggestions

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post but hopefully not my last! I am a 25 year old male and I am currently waiting to hear back from grad school regarding my acceptance. I have already been in contact with the ROTC program at the university and am taking all the necessary steps to get a scholarship. I have a few questions about the Army and what its going to be like. I'm interested in knowing a bit more about USACE and the things that they do. Any advice/info is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

K29

Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Brigadier General

I wish you luck getting into the ROTC program, K29. I don't know a lot about the Corps of Engineers. I believe it's a civilian arm of the Army under Army leadership. Of course there are Army Engineers that are soldiers in the 21 series MOSs.

The USACE seems to do work on US waterways. The levees in New Orleans comes to mind. Flood control & dams are their concerns I believe.

Try Google. I'll bet you'll find lots of info via that search engine.

Have you checked witha Recruiter about going into the Simultaneous Membership Program when you get into ROTC? That allows you to attend drills witha Reserve unit as a Cadet for pay. You'd be paid as a SGT E-5 with the same authority. When I was an Active Duty Advisor to a Reserve Division we had several SMPs. They appreciated the extra money each month & the experience they got. It was sort of a mix between NCO work & junior officer work.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Corporal

This website might help you out some <http://www.branchorientation.com/engineer/>.

I was in ROTC not too long ago, but decided to go enlisted and finish college at my own pace. Army ROTC is a great program especially if you get into a good unit. Only drawback is that you may not get the branch you want, example (armor, infantry, engineer, etc..). As mentioned above you can do SMP with a 21 MOS and help insure you get the engineering branch.