armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 02-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Recruit

Default Law Degree While Active Duty

Hello,

I've heard lots of confliciting info about going through the armed forces to get your professional education, such as a law degree. My father (ANG) has come across several individuals that are active duty and are attending law school, having it paid for by the army presumably. Does anyone know the details of such a program, how to enroll, requirements, how it affects other items such as GI bill, signing bonus etc?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Brigadier General

I'll try not to give any wrong information by just starting out by saying "I don't know".

Are you coming into the Army with a commission? If so & if you come in to the JAG Corps then I'd say it's possible. There it would depend on needs of the Army. If the Army decides it needs a more educated lawyer then I'd say yes. I'm sure that it would take a longer active duty commitment so the Army would benefit by your Masters. There have been soldiers who pursued their education on their own & on their own time via correspondence courses, Internet, & classes given on post by reputable colleges or a combination of all. These means to a Masters might be interrupted due to deployments.

I really don't know about bonuses for officers coming into the Army. I know if you come in as enlisted with a Bachelors Degree you can come in as an E-4 SPC. You can also get about $50K towards education plus a stipend after you complete your enlistment.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Captain

You are talking about the FLEP (Funded Legal Education Program) and it's a tough program to get into. Only 15 or so Soldiers get selected a year. You have to be a commissioned officer and already have at least two years in the Army. It's a tough program to get into. Most of our JAG officers come in the Army already having completed law school.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Recruit

More info on the FLEP program:

FUNDED LEGAL EDUCATION PROGRAM (FLEP)

U.S. ARMY JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL'S CORPS
FUNDED LEGAL EDUCATION PROGRAM

1. Description of program. The Funded Legal Education Program (FLEP) authorizes the selection of not more than 25 Active Duty Army officers (lieutenants or captains) each year to obtain a legal education at government expense. The JAGC expects to select approximately 25 applicants during the Fall 2009 selection board.

2. Eligibility and Application Procedures. Details regarding eligibility, the application process and service obligation with regards to FLEP are outlined in Army Regulation (AR 27-1), Chapter 14. The eligibility requirements in AR 27-1 are statutory and cannot be waived. The cutoff for eligibility is 6 years of total active federal service, including warrant officer or enlisted service, at the time legal training begins.

3. Selection criteria. When considering an applicant's file, the selection board members use the "total person concept". They evaluate the undergraduate and graduate school transcripts, LSAT score, ORB, OERs, SJA interview letter, and statement of motivation to attend law school. Applicants with 2 1/2 to 4 years of commissioned service are the most competitive. Twenty-four officers were selected in December 2007. The following are statistical averages from that board:

Average age: 29
Average time in service as of 1 Sep 08: 4 yrs, 9 mos.
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.2
Average LSAT score: 161 (84th percentile)

4. Funding. Officers interested in the FLEP program should be aware that participants will normally attend a state-supported school where they qualify for in-state tuition, or where military members are granted in-state tuition rates.

5. More Information. Click here for the 2008-2009 FLEP Advertisement. You may contact Ms. Yvonne Caron at (703) 588-6774 or DSN 425-6774, or by email at [email]Yvonne.Caron@us.army.mil[/email], or by mail at:

Office of The Judge Advocate General
Personnel, Plans and Training Office
1777 North Kent Street, 10th Floor
Rosslyn, VA 22209-2194

It is competitive. 25 people selected at each board (spring and fall).

This info came from
[url]https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/JAGCNETInternet/Homepages/AC/NewJARO.nsf/(JAGCNetDocID)/FUNDED+LEGAL+EDUCATION+PROGRAM?OpenDocument[/url]

Tags
active duty schooling, law degree, law school