armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Recruit

Send a message via Yahoo to DevinsMom1
Default Very New Here Please Help!

I am new here and not sure how to do this. Please help. I have a son who is being deployed May 15th to Iraq. Does anyone have any advice?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinsMom1 View Post
I am new here and not sure how to do this. Please help. I have a son who is being deployed May 15th to Iraq. Does anyone have any advice?
Stay calm. My son finished his first deployment this past summer and looks to go out again this fall. Honestly, I heard more from my son when he was deployed than I do now that he is back. I would get at least one or two e-mails a week. Now I am lucky to get a text message. It all depends on where they go and what they are doing. Plan to write lots of letters, and send lots of care packages. Go to the post office and pick up some APO flat rate boxes. You can pack a lot of goodies in them and they don't cost a fortune to mail.

I had to take the news wires off my Yahoo page, and I did not watch World News Tonight or anything like it. I did not do that right away and had one major freak out. I look back and laugh at myself now, but I was not laughing at the time.

Make sure you sign up for his unit's FRG (Family Readiness Group). [url]www.armyfrg.org[/url] They have a website that will keep you posted on the latest news from his unit.

That should get you started. If you have other questions, just ask away!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Recruit

Send a message via Yahoo to LovesHimCrazy
Wink Hey sweetie

I had a friend over there for 15 mos. And like she said, you'll have the chance to talk to him more often while he's there than when he's at his duty staion and in training. Depending on his MOS or job over there...he may have quite a bit of down time. Relax honey, things are calming down over there. I got some friends deploying in Nov., just give him maybe 2 or 3 wks to get settled in, they got to basically set up camp for lack of a better word, then they will be able to start contacting family k? They also can use the internet and even the web cam. My friend and I got on yahoo im every day for hours sometimes.
Ever need a shoulder - you can ask me darling.
Stay strong!!!
~Staisha

Old 02-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Brigadier General

I have a son who was deployed as an Army Ranger 5 times, 4 in Iraq, 1 in Afghanistan. They don't get any easier. Just be assured that he's one of the best trained soldiers in the world.

Keep it in perspective - there were more killed in my state last year in vehicle accidents than to enemy action. Add to that murders & industrial accidents he's probably safer deployed.

If by some unfortunate circumstances he gets wounded he'll receive the best possible care in the world, for the rest of his life if necessary. But don't think of that. For all of those deployed to combat areas there are relatively few casualties.

I spent 27 years in the military with many conflicts & combat operations behind me. Not even a scratch, just one not-so-good parachute landing in training that saw me functioning completely normal in a day, just a few aches & pains.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:59 PM
General of the Armies

All fantastic advice, I understand care packages are a good idea... as Im not US Army, I would ask MSG Glenn to update on whats good and whats not for Care packages... however, I do appreciate the significance of them whilst deployed..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Brigadier General

A good deployment care package always includes Cope & jerky! Believe it or not there are many small (and some big) PXs there where creature comfort products & snacks can be purchased. Most of the deployed are in urban areas so there's probably lots of "good" Iraqi snacks to be found.

A good idea is to ask what he needs or wants in one of your first letters.

Ask the Post Office if they still have those boxes that you can fill & no matter what the weight the price is the same. Fill it with gold & have your son bury it in the desert.
Retired MSG

Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Private

Hi, I have been looking for someone to talk to because no one I know understands how I feel. Out of desperation I went to the army website and after messing around for a while came across this. I was so relieved. Maybe this will help. Does it help you? Sherry

Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 AM
Brigadier General

We have to know how you feel before we can offer any advice, Sherry. Deployed husband? Confused about enlisting?

What do you need help with & what are your questions?
Retired MSG