armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Armies of the World
User Name
Password

Old 11-27-2008, 03:43 AM
Brigadier General

Default Operation Mar Nonu (Agressive Snakeman)

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7744727.stm[/url]

This time last year Musa Qaleh, a town in northern Helmand with a population of approximately 20,000 people, was in the hands of the Taliban and was a conduit for narcotics, weapons and Taliban fighters.
British soldiers have played a vital role with Afghan and international forces to drive the Taliban from the area which is now showing signs of development and prosperity. Since December 2007 the district centre has been held by Afghan Security Forces, a school and health clinic have been opened, roads have been paved and work on the 800 person capacity mosque is underway.

In a bid to build on the current stable environment that exists within and around the district centre of Musa Qaleh, Operation Mar Nonu was launched this month by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in joint partnership with the Afghan National Security Force (ANSF).
Soldiers from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (2RGR) have taken the lead during a 3 Commando Brigade operation aimed at clearing insurgents from the area to the south of Musa Qaleh district centre and allowing the ANSF to continue patrolling in the area without hindrance. The operation concentrates on the systematic searching of several compounds to the south of the district centre, known to have been occupied by insurgents. It had been reported that the area had been laced with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) which presented a significant threat to the lives of local Afghan civilians and also to the security forces.

The operation has resulted in the enemy forces suffering losses and being pushed back from the area. It has also seen multiple IEDs being cleared and the ANSF extend their presence in the area. It was in this mission that Rifleman Yubraj Rai unfortunately lost his life.

Speaking about his mission, the Commanding Officer of B Company 2 RGR, Major Ross Daines, said:

"B Company's mission was to clear a swathe of compounds which had previously been used by the insurgents as outposts. Supported by other elements of the Battle Group, this would push the insurgents to the south and enable the ANA [Afghan National Army] the freedom to fully operate around the area of the Patrol Base. On completion of the clearance by B Company 2 RGR, B Company 1 Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment would remain in place to ensure that the enemy could not return to the area."

Rifleman Dhan said:

"We were advancing clearing compound to compound. We had crossed approximately 250 metres of an open field, heading towards the next compound, when the enemy opened fire on us. We all thought it was not towards us and we were just in shock.

"Rifleman Yubraj dropped on the ground and I did the same. I thought he was taking cover. He didn't move for a while and suddenly shouted. I noticed he was hit by an enemy bullet. I crawled to Yubraj and I tried to calm him down. I concentrated on administering first aid to Yub and tried to find the gunshot wound.

"I gave him some water to drink and poured some on his head. Lance Corporal Gajendra and Rifleman Manju came crawling towards us. They pulled him to a safer compound and I was responding to enemy fire using both mine and Yub's weapon. We managed to evacuate him to a compound, where the medical evacuation team arrived later. I never noticed the bullets landing around me, but I was shocked when I heard from other members of the section and the platoon how close the rounds had been.

"At the time it seemed impossible to evacuate Rifleman Yubraj, though we managed to do it. I thought he would not leave us this soon. While on the open field I thought we would not come back alive, thank God we are here. I felt helpless not being able to save Yubraj. I am so sad to lose Yubraj."

When the Reconnaissance Platoon of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (the Recce Platoon) was notified that there had been a casualty, they deployed four Jackals (a 4x4 all-terrain patrol vehicle) cross-country and under enemy fire. Despite the IED threat, they arrived at the location quickly to extract the casualty.

Captain 'Kit' Kyte, Officer Commanding of the Recce Platoon, said:

"Despite the extremely rough ground, our Jackals were up to the task. There was sporadic fire throughout but we managed to get the casualty on board. Unfortunately there was nothing we could do."
Subsequently, B Company from 1 Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment advanced in Warriors to take on the enemy in the compounds that were further out, a task that took them into the evening and the following morning. They ended up clearing at least ten compounds under extreme fire and this mission resulted in the find of an IED, a weapons cache and a drugs cache.

According to Capt Kyte:

"The Warriors were very effective at getting us very close to the compounds so that despite the heavy weight of fire from the enemy we were able to dismount and clear a lot of compounds at very close quarters."

Intermittent exchanges of fire persisted throughout the night and into the next day. Lance Corporal Gajendra's platoon and the Fire Support Group's snipers continued to engage the insurgents to the south throughout this time.

As the second day drew to a close, the Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Chris Darby, who had been directing the battle throughout, greeted his men as they returned to base:

"One of the first things that we realised needed to happen was to secure the people of Musa Qaleh and the area in which we are operating, in order to do that we needed to push the insurgents back," he said. "The operation which we have completed today has managed to achieve that.

"The main objective of the operation was the clearing of a route called route 'Pink' and about 40 to 50 civilian houses, because without encouraging the civilians back into the area, frankly, we can carry on killing the enemy and they can carry on trying to kill us for as long as they like and we're not achieving anything.

"From my perspective, we lost a very good man. I was born in B Company and I grew up in B Company so I know most of the boys very well. Yubraj died but we have pushed the insurgents back two kilometres."
2 RGR will maintain their presence and work alongside the ANSF throughout the coming months in and around Musa Qaleh district centre. Their sights are firmly set on maintaining the well-being and security of the local population with an emphasis on community and improvement in everyday way of life.

The battalion's previous experience in Afghanistan includes the deployment of a Gurkha Reinforcement Company with 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment in 2001, providing the Kabul Patrols Company, the Mazar-e-Sharif Provincial Reconstruction Team, and an Afghan National Army Training Team in 2003/2004 and again in 2005.

The battalion also provided a significant contribution to D Company in 2006, the Gurkha Reinforcement Company that supported 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, and has an enduring task to provide Officer and Senior Non-Commissioned Officer instructor support to the Afghan National Army Officer Cadet School.
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Brigadier General

well. im just fortunate that i werent there.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
well. im just fortunate that i werent there.
Thats the difference....I wish I was

كافر

Old 11-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Thats the difference....I wish I was
Well its not like those situations are within my branch of expertiese anyhows (communications).
so yes.. im quite sure that i wouldn't like to be there.. nor should I.
because there are better people to deal with those kinds of situations.

well.. respects anyhows.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7744727.stm[/url]

This time last year Musa Qaleh, a town in northern Helmand with a population of approximately 20,000 people, was in the hands of the Taliban and was a conduit for narcotics, weapons and Taliban fighters.
British soldiers have played a vital role with Afghan and international forces to drive the Taliban from the area which is now showing signs of development and prosperity. Since December 2007 the district centre has been held by Afghan Security Forces, a school and health clinic have been opened, roads have been paved and work on the 800 person capacity mosque is underway.

In a bid to build on the current stable environment that exists within and around the district centre of Musa Qaleh, Operation Mar Nonu was launched this month by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in joint partnership with the Afghan National Security Force (ANSF).
Soldiers from the 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (2RGR) have taken the lead during a 3 Commando Brigade operation aimed at clearing insurgents from the area to the south of Musa Qaleh district centre and allowing the ANSF to continue patrolling in the area without hindrance. The operation concentrates on the systematic searching of several compounds to the south of the district centre, known to have been occupied by insurgents. It had been reported that the area had been laced with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) which presented a significant threat to the lives of local Afghan civilians and also to the security forces.

The operation has resulted in the enemy forces suffering losses and being pushed back from the area. It has also seen multiple IEDs being cleared and the ANSF extend their presence in the area. It was in this mission that Rifleman Yubraj Rai unfortunately lost his life.

Speaking about his mission, the Commanding Officer of B Company 2 RGR, Major Ross Daines, said:

"B Company's mission was to clear a swathe of compounds which had previously been used by the insurgents as outposts. Supported by other elements of the Battle Group, this would push the insurgents to the south and enable the ANA [Afghan National Army] the freedom to fully operate around the area of the Patrol Base. On completion of the clearance by B Company 2 RGR, B Company 1 Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment would remain in place to ensure that the enemy could not return to the area."

Rifleman Dhan said:

"We were advancing clearing compound to compound. We had crossed approximately 250 metres of an open field, heading towards the next compound, when the enemy opened fire on us. We all thought it was not towards us and we were just in shock.

"Rifleman Yubraj dropped on the ground and I did the same. I thought he was taking cover. He didn't move for a while and suddenly shouted. I noticed he was hit by an enemy bullet. I crawled to Yubraj and I tried to calm him down. I concentrated on administering first aid to Yub and tried to find the gunshot wound.

"I gave him some water to drink and poured some on his head. Lance Corporal Gajendra and Rifleman Manju came crawling towards us. They pulled him to a safer compound and I was responding to enemy fire using both mine and Yub's weapon. We managed to evacuate him to a compound, where the medical evacuation team arrived later. I never noticed the bullets landing around me, but I was shocked when I heard from other members of the section and the platoon how close the rounds had been.

"At the time it seemed impossible to evacuate Rifleman Yubraj, though we managed to do it. I thought he would not leave us this soon. While on the open field I thought we would not come back alive, thank God we are here. I felt helpless not being able to save Yubraj. I am so sad to lose Yubraj."

When the Reconnaissance Platoon of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles (the Recce Platoon) was notified that there had been a casualty, they deployed four Jackals (a 4x4 all-terrain patrol vehicle) cross-country and under enemy fire. Despite the IED threat, they arrived at the location quickly to extract the casualty.

Captain 'Kit' Kyte, Officer Commanding of the Recce Platoon, said:

"Despite the extremely rough ground, our Jackals were up to the task. There was sporadic fire throughout but we managed to get the casualty on board. Unfortunately there was nothing we could do."
Subsequently, B Company from 1 Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment advanced in Warriors to take on the enemy in the compounds that were further out, a task that took them into the evening and the following morning. They ended up clearing at least ten compounds under extreme fire and this mission resulted in the find of an IED, a weapons cache and a drugs cache.

According to Capt Kyte:

"The Warriors were very effective at getting us very close to the compounds so that despite the heavy weight of fire from the enemy we were able to dismount and clear a lot of compounds at very close quarters."

Intermittent exchanges of fire persisted throughout the night and into the next day. Lance Corporal Gajendra's platoon and the Fire Support Group's snipers continued to engage the insurgents to the south throughout this time.

As the second day drew to a close, the Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Chris Darby, who had been directing the battle throughout, greeted his men as they returned to base:

"One of the first things that we realised needed to happen was to secure the people of Musa Qaleh and the area in which we are operating, in order to do that we needed to push the insurgents back," he said. "The operation which we have completed today has managed to achieve that.

"The main objective of the operation was the clearing of a route called route 'Pink' and about 40 to 50 civilian houses, because without encouraging the civilians back into the area, frankly, we can carry on killing the enemy and they can carry on trying to kill us for as long as they like and we're not achieving anything.

"From my perspective, we lost a very good man. I was born in B Company and I grew up in B Company so I know most of the boys very well. Yubraj died but we have pushed the insurgents back two kilometres."
2 RGR will maintain their presence and work alongside the ANSF throughout the coming months in and around Musa Qaleh district centre. Their sights are firmly set on maintaining the well-being and security of the local population with an emphasis on community and improvement in everyday way of life.

The battalion's previous experience in Afghanistan includes the deployment of a Gurkha Reinforcement Company with 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment in 2001, providing the Kabul Patrols Company, the Mazar-e-Sharif Provincial Reconstruction Team, and an Afghan National Army Training Team in 2003/2004 and again in 2005.

The battalion also provided a significant contribution to D Company in 2006, the Gurkha Reinforcement Company that supported 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, and has an enduring task to provide Officer and Senior Non-Commissioned Officer instructor support to the Afghan National Army Officer Cadet School.
Good Stuff Jrj, more progress...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
Well its not like those situations are within my branch of expertiese anyhows (communications).
so yes.. im quite sure that i wouldn't like to be there.. nor should I.
because there are better people to deal with those kinds of situations.

well.. respects anyhows.
Understood Torps...Fair one...The right person for the right job totaly.....I wouldnt mess about with comms if I didnt know the score with it....Leave that to the comms lads

كافر

Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Recruit

Yeah, i'm glad I wasn't there. It would have been shocking for a non-adventurous person like me.