armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Brigadier General

Default Archer 155-mm self-propelled gun-howitzer

The Archer is a next generation artillery system. It was developed as a replacement for ageing FH 77A and FH 77B towed howitzers. It is expected to enter service with Swedish Army in 2008. A number of other countries expressed interest in purchasing this artillery system.

This artillery system is a further development of the FH 77B 155-mm howitzer. It's barrel was extended to 52 calibers to give longer range of fire. The Archer has a rapid, automatic loading system. Maximum range of fire is 30 km with ordinary projectile and 40 km with rocket-assisted projectile. The Archer also fires Excalibur precision guided extended range projectiles with a maximum range of 60 km. It is also compatible with Bonus precision guided projectiles. Maximum a rate of fire of 8 - 9 rounds per minute. The Archer is capable of multiple-round simultaneous - impact firing. It fires up to 6 rounds in 30 seconds, each in different trajectories, so that all of the shells arrive on target at the same time. The Archer transports 20 rounds.
It takes only 30 seconds to stop and be ready for firing. Out of action time is also as short as 30 seconds. Brief redeployment time allows to avoid counter-battery fire.
Secondary armament consists of LEMUR remotely controlled weapon system, fitted with 12.7-mm machine gun and smoke grenade dischargers.
The Archer has a crew of four, consisting of one driver and three operators. If necessary this artillery system can be operated by only two men (driver and one operator). Artillery system is operated remotely from the cab.
Cab and artillery system of the Archer is protected against small arms fire and artillery shell fragments. It is fitted with an automatic fire suppression system. It is worth mentioning that only vital parts of the artillery system are protected. Cab is fitted with NBC protection system and provides some degree of protection against landmines.
The Archer artillery system is mounted on the commercially available Volvo A30D 6x6 articulated hauler chassis. Vehicle id fitted with emergency driving equipment, which makes possible to drive with all wheels punctured. The Archer can be airlifted by the Airbus A400M transport aircraft. The Archer is reloaded by ammunition re-supply vehicle. Every self-propelled artillery system is assigned with one re-supply vehicle. Reloading time is up to 8 minutes. If necessary the gun can be loaded by re-supply personnel alone. The Archer is also assigned with one support (maintenance) vehicle per unit. It conducts refueling and simple maintenance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	archer.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	344   Click image for larger version

Name:	archer_l1.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	345   Click image for larger version

Name:	archer_l2.jpg
Views:	3584
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	346   Click image for larger version

Name:	archer_l3.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	347  
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Brigadier General

Some footage....

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leYCwU7B8jI[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jnUXUzV2c[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA1j7mJbgDU&feature=related[/url]

كافر

Old 09-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Brigadier General

Yes. the "Archer" is a marvel among many others within the field of weapons development.
Here in the northern europe, the artillery especially has been in a certain role when it comes to
upgrades and development from the old to the more advanced piece of equipment regarding
the modern battlefield.

The Swedes are the Weaponsmiths of choise for our army aswell in many occations.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
Yes. the "Archer" is a marvel among many others within the field of weapons development.
Here in the northern europe, the artillery especially has been in a certain role when it comes to
upgrades and development from the old to the more advanced piece of equipment regarding
the modern battlefield.

The Swedes are the Weaponsmiths of choise for our army aswell in many occations.

Sweden have been producing some fine weapons systems...no doubt about it..they have been making good weapons systems for years and it looks like they will carry on doing so...

I was given some indepth infomation about the targeting system use by the Archer.....advanced stuff thats for sure

Are Finland looking to invest in this system?

كافر

Old 10-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Sweden have been producing some fine weapons systems...no doubt about it..they have been making good weapons systems for years and it looks like they will carry on doing so...

I was given some indepth infomation about the targeting system use by the Archer.....advanced stuff thats for sure

Are Finland looking to invest in this system?
not at this time. we have extensive tactical plan for our own artillery........

as we already have such systems as AMOS to fill the possible gaps.. and we have county based
defence plan at place (which Sweden decommissioned)
i can't see that we have extensive need for the system.

its quite cool though.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Brigadier General

i wouldn't want to be in the cab if it glitched enroute to firing loation

Old 05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
First Sergeant

I got the impression you never had to leave the forward cab.
I am confused, is there a firing crew of 2 and a driver or just a crew of 2?
With a firing range of 30K's you will never see target, so I am going to assume that the sighting cameras are for direct fire missions.
I've never seen one of these, so I'm not going to knock it. If it does all its supposed to do it's a great firing platform. But I did notice that the "spades" were always in a supported area, like gravel, the charges fired seemed awful light. Like maybe a charge 3 green bag. I'd like to see what a charge 7 white bag or a 8 red bag with a Excalibur would do, to rock that sucker.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny13 View Post
I got the impression you never had to leave the forward cab.
I am confused, is there a firing crew of 2 and a driver or just a crew of 2?
With a firing range of 30K's you will never see target, so I am going to assume that the sighting cameras are for direct fire missions.
I've never seen one of these, so I'm not going to knock it. If it does all its supposed to do it's a great firing platform. But I did notice that the "spades" were always in a supported area, like gravel, the charges fired seemed awful light. Like maybe a charge 3 green bag. I'd like to see what a charge 7 white bag or a 8 red bag with a Excalibur would do, to rock that sucker.
well im no artillery man.. but about the first question i can always say
that we Finns make [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxBFUNk2dHo"]thease.[/URL]

and we are not that blind when it comes to indirect fire solutions since
about everybody uses UAV's nowadays...

anyhows.. as i said im not artillery man so, im just guessing that your referring
to the powder load with green white and red bags. on that.. i'd have to say that this probably couldn't stand the loads your using with your hi-ranged... there is the issue of cost involved..
as naither Sweden or Finland... (while Sweden once was near) is or never was a world superpower.
and we dont really have any ++ trade routes there are some stuff around which we can make good quality cannons of..
but i bet you guys have already bought it.

anyways.. go and compare it against panzerhaubitze 2000.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 AM
First Sergeant

To get a round that far, your going to need a heavy charge. A charge 5 Green Bag will put a round out about 14 to 20 K depending on the angle and other factors.
Since it is a NATO complacent gun, the rounds and powder are the same as ours.
Artillery never really shoots blind, we use forward observers, but the gun crew rarely sees the intended target. If you think about it, are you able to see a oncoming infantry platoon from 14K away?
But don't take my words as criticism, I've never seen this system in person, so I am unable to make a fair assessment. I would just like to see the gun fire with a heavy charge. The displacement would be unreal.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:05 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbunny13 View Post
To get a round that far, your going to need a heavy charge. A charge 5 Green Bag will put a round out about 14 to 20 K depending on the angle and other factors.
Since it is a NATO complacent gun, the rounds and powder are the same as ours.
Artillery never really shoots blind, we use forward observers, but the gun crew rarely sees the intended target. If you think about it, are you able to see a oncoming infantry platoon from 14K away?
But don't take my words as criticism, I've never seen this system in person, so I am unable to make a fair assessment. I would just like to see the gun fire with a heavy charge. The displacement would be
unreal.
well im a messenger man so....
(i have 1.7 vision so im "about navy material." here you wouldnt see past 500 meters anyhows... forrest and stuff.)

You know there was some serious conversation here abouts about US
having the AMOS license.. but it was about you folks being in Iraq and stuff.
with right ammo, it can paint an nasty halfkilometer X miles away.
its nlos meatgrinder basicly.. more of an defensive tool than precision weapon.
not that far form launching a tactical nuke. (which hits a moving target whitout troubles)

the Swedes and their munitions. .. well.. lets just say that their precision munition makes a difference between burning target and live target and homes in accordingly..
(yes arty rounds)