armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2005, 05:29 PM
drast1x

Default A few family questions.

Hello,

I am having my first child come January and enlisting has been on my mind for about a year or so now and I have a few questions that will help decide if i make the next step.

Like I said I am expecting my first child,but I am not married,I will be married before enlisting but can not stand the thought of missing out on the early years of my sons life.

I would like to know if my soon to be wife would be able to live with me somehow,I hear a few things from differant people and am trying to get the facts right.

Would she and my soon be able to live with me,On base,Off base?
If of base is there an extra "allowance" for rent?
Would they both be covered for medical/dental?
Does this take alot of time if so after basic or is it somewhat of a immediate thing?

Also do you have the choice in any way to stay in the US if not in a combat "job"?

Thanks for your time.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Private

Send a message via MSN to MikeysGirl
Default What I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by drast1x
Hello,

I am having my first child come January and enlisting has been on my mind for about a year or so now and I have a few questions that will help decide if i make the next step.

Like I said I am expecting my first child,but I am not married,I will be married before enlisting but can not stand the thought of missing out on the early years of my sons life.

I would like to know if my soon to be wife would be able to live with me somehow,I hear a few things from differant people and am trying to get the facts right.

Would she and my soon be able to live with me,On base,Off base?
If of base is there an extra "allowance" for rent?
Would they both be covered for medical/dental?
Does this take alot of time if so after basic or is it somewhat of a immediate thing?

Also do you have the choice in any way to stay in the US if not in a combat "job"?

Thanks for your time.
As long as you guys are married before you enlist you should be covered. Once you enlist though you need to make sure she has a power of attorney and make sure that she has all of her paper work. She will need to get an id card for base acess. Since, you are enlisting after marriage and will have to go to basic, I am not sure exactly how that works. I know that you will be able to live with your family on base as long you are married and as long as there is housing availiable. If you have to live off base then the Military will give you housing allowance. Both your wife, son and you will all be covered for medical insurance. You may want to talk with your recruiter about all the details. The most important thing is just to make sure that you are married before you join, otherwise I think the Miltary will still cover your son but they will not do anything for your fiance. I am not an expert on this though. I am an Army Brat and Army girlfriend so this is what I know.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Private

Default Longtime army wife here

It doesn't matter when you get married. The only difference will be the way they pay for you to move to original duty station after basic and ait(school). She won't be able to go with you to school, but after that, the army will move your family almost wherever you are sent. Only exceptions are deployments and hardship tours like Korea. The army does pay an allowance for off post housing, but it never covers all your bills, things will be tight for a while. Try to work it so you get the biggest enlistment bonus you can get. Don't let recruiter bs you. The offers are out there, you just may have to research them yourself. They've actually got some really good bonus offers out there right now. If you have any other questions, please feel free to write me directly at [email]dsjmrpt@yahoo.com[/email]. And Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Recruit

Default a mother of a soldier

Dont Do It!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessitate3 View Post
Dont Do It!!!!!!!!!!!
Since that was your third identical post, I am going to ask the obvious question.... Why not?...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to kmullins
Smile

my husband and i have 3 children, and joinging the army is the best thing he could of done!

ive talk to someone who married her boyfriend while he was on leave to go to ait and she said they were giving her a bunch of bull to get her insurance and things because the soilder has to fill out paperwork before he leaves to go to basic for the insurace and they would get the papers to him while in AIT, so i would get married before i signed the papers to have that taken care of. she will not be able to go to basic, and will only be able to go to ait if your training is more then 8 month, and most are not. after ait, you will get sent to your location. depending on where you go will determine how long it will be before she can come with. and you do not get to pick where you go. army houseing can take a while to get into, but i like the idea of living on a base, havent got to yet because we are still a bit new to this.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Private

Default Thanks!!!

I've been wondering some of the same things and you have answered alot of my questions. Thanks!