armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 07-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Brigadier General

Default Accuracy International AS50

Type- Anti-materiel rifle, Sniper rifle
Place of origin- United Kingdom
In service -2006 -
Designed- 2005 or 2006
Produced -2006
Number built -Unknown
Variants- 1 AS50

Weight -27 lb (14.1 kg) (no scope/sight, empty mag)
Length -53.9" (1369 mm)
Barrel length -692 mm

Cartridge -12.7 x 99 mm NATO 5 rounds,
Caliber- 12.7 mm .50 BMG
Action- Direct impingement
[U]Rate of fire[/U-] semi-automatic, estimated at 5 rounds/1.5 seconds
Effective range- ca. 2000 YDS

The AS50 .50 BMG sniper/anti-materiel rifle is the latest creation of British firearms producer Accuracy International. The rifle was specially developed for the US SOCOM and is in use with the Navy SEALs. The AS50 enables operators to engage targets at very long range with high accuracy using explosive or incendiary ammunition. The AS50 employs a gas operated semi-automatic action for rapid fire engagement of multiple targets. The rifle is also highly transportable, ergonomic and lightweight. It can be disassembled in less than three minutes and serviced without tools.

The rifle boasts an accuracy of 1.5 MOA, impressive for a semi-auto .50 caliber rifle. The barrel is free floated and features a dual chamber muzzle brake to reduce recoil, which is lower than that of the AW50 bolt action .50 BMG rifle. The two-part machined steel receiver features an integral accessory rail for the mounting of optical sights. Two additional rails are mounted on the sides of the short barrel shroud. An adjustable bipod and rear support leg/hand grip allow for stable shooting. This weapon is proven to accurately hit a target over a mile away. The low recoil system built in the back of the rifle can allow it to fire rapidly while still retaining its accuracy.

The AS50 weighs 14.1 kg empty and holds 5 rounds of .50 BMG in a single stack removable box magazine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SoldierTech_AS50-2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	300   Click image for larger version

Name:	ai-as50-1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	301   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS50.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	302  

Old 07-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

A beautiful weapon. But there is a new kid on the block.

Barrett XM500 long range sniper / anti-material rifle SASR
Caliber: .50BMG (12.7x99mm)
Operation: gas operated, semi-automatic
Barrel: n/a
Weight: 11.8 kg
Length: 1168 mm (46")
Feed Mechanism: 10 rounds detachable box magazine

XM500 rifle is the most recent creation of famous American Barrett Firearms co. This rifle, first shown in 2006, is intended to provide lighter and more compact alternative to popular Barrett M82 "Light fifty" rifle, which is widely used by military and law enforcement forces around the world. The new weapon will provide better accuracy (because of stationary, non-recoiling barrel) and same range as Light Fifty, while being lighter and significantly shorter, thanks to its bullpup layout. According to available information, this rifle is developed primarily for US Armed forces, and is still in development / prototype stage.

Barrett XM500 long range sniper / anti-material rifle is a gas operated, semiautomatic rifle. Gas chamber and piston are located above the barrel. Barrel is locked using rotary bolt. Stock is of bullpup layout and made of metal, with rubber buttplate. Rifle is fitted with detachable lightweight bipods, adjustable for height. There are no open sights as of now, but rifle is fitted with integral Picatinny rail on the top of the receiver, so any type of sights can be installed using appropriate mounting interfaces.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
Oh jesus ...You're off again!! If you want to go on about that gun then start a thread on it. You haven't even mentioned its effective range. You know it would help if you actually contributed something instead of jumping in all the time telling everybody that your dads bigger than everbody elses, I mean for f-uck sake !!!

Come back Royal Marine all is forgiven

Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Oh jesus ...You're off again!! If you want to go on about that gun then start a thread on it. You haven't even mentioned its effective range. You know it would help if you actually contributed something instead of jumping in all the time telling everybody that your dads bigger than everbody elses, I mean for f-uck sake !!!

Come back Royal Marine all is forgiven
To discuss the weapon is to discuss the others. What more is there to say except pit it against others? Hitting the bottle again without telling us? The range is the same as the M82, if you read the post. 1800-2000 yrds. This is your stereotypical bullying that I have put up with for three years now and I'm a little bit older now. Ship up Spike, I feel bad for you.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
To discuss the weapon is to discuss the others. What more is there to say except pit it against others? Hitting the bottle again without telling us? The range is the same as the M82, if you read the post. 1800-2000 yrds. This is your stereotypical bullying that I have put up with for three years now and I'm a little bit older now. Ship up Spike, I feel bad for you.
I'll get off your back when you stop interrupting somebody elses thread with America is better than the universe bollocks!

Please don't feel bad for me I don't need your kind of patronising, ego inflated, self serving sympathy..

Old 07-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I'll get off your back when you stop interrupting somebody elses thread with America is better than the universe bollocks!

Please don't feel bad for me I don't need your kind of patronising, ego inflated, self serving sympathy..
Wow...kinda loosing your touch Spike. I never said it was better. Only that it's new. Lets compare em to talk about them, maybe. Maybe, for once Spike, you shouldn't tell others how to respond to threads. The Barrett is used by forces all over the world. The AS50 is speculated to be used by international forces. So grab your binky and blanket and continue the shiding attitude where it might work.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Wow...kinda loosing your touch Spike. I never said it was better. Only that it's new. Lets compare em to talk about them, maybe. Maybe, for once Spike, you shouldn't tell others how to respond to threads. The Barrett is used by forces all over the world. The AS50 is speculated to be used by international forces. So grab your binky and blanket and continue the shiding attitude where it might work.
Oh so you thought I had a touch?........**** I'm truely flattered
How about you actually construct a thread all on your own (not on the back of a fellow member) and not lose your marbles after the first few posts, eh Hero?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Brigadier General

Thumbs up Barrett XM500 long range sniper / anti-material rifle SASR

Quote:

Barrett XM500 long range sniper / anti-material rifle SASR
Caliber: .50BMG (12.7x99mm)
Operation: gas operated, semi-automatic
Barrel: n/a
Weight: 11.8 kg
Length: 1168 mm (46")
Feed Mechanism: 10 rounds detachable box magazine

XM500 rifle is the most recent creation of famous American Barrett Firearms co. This rifle, first shown in 2006, is intended to provide lighter and more compact alternative to popular Barrett M82 "Light fifty" rifle, which is widely used by military and law enforcement forces around the world. The new weapon will provide better accuracy (because of stationary, non-recoiling barrel) and same range as Light Fifty, while being lighter and significantly shorter, thanks to its bullpup layout. According to available information, this rifle is developed primarily for US Armed forces, and is still in development / prototype stage.

Barrett XM500 long range sniper / anti-material rifle is a gas operated, semiautomatic rifle. Gas chamber and piston are located above the barrel. Barrel is locked using rotary bolt. Stock is of bullpup layout and made of metal, with rubber buttplate. Rifle is fitted with detachable lightweight bipods, adjustable for height. There are no open sights as of now, but rifle is fitted with integral Picatinny rail on the top of the receiver, so any type of sights can be installed using appropriate mounting interfaces.

Looks a fine weapon Snipes...and i can see why you compare the two...comparisons can be made....its light really compared to the AS50...at 11.8 kgs..i would imagine that was unloaded weight...without scope attachments?...i would like to see the rate of fire....and with the non recoil...i would also think..it would retain accuarcy even with rapid fire...10 round mag aswell..trumps the 5 round box....any ideas on when its going to be ready?...any info on
the round types it will be compatible with.....H.E??
The Accuracy International AS50 as it says in my post...is used by the SEALs...witch says alot in my opinion...depending on when the XM500 is going to be ready cant see the SEALs investing time in the Accuracy International AS50....only to replace it 2 or 3 years later....but what do i know.....not sure how much progresstion can be made in sniper rifle development....in a few years....XM500 is still only in prototype stage...it will be great to see it in action...and how it copes with combat situations....only when its put through its paces for real can you really make a judgement...but all the stats say its going to do the business.....

i will keep an ear open over the next few years/months.......
nice one... looks like the people at Barrett have done it again......designing and producing great weapons seems to be a habbit for them

thanks for the heads up on the XM500

Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Looks a fine weapon Snipes...and i can see why you compare the two...comparisons can be made....its light really compared to the AS50...at 11.8 kgs..i would imagine that was unloaded weight...without scope attachments?...i would like to see the rate of fire....and with the non recoil...i would also think..it would retain accuarcy even with rapid fire...10 round mag aswell..trumps the 5 round box....any ideas on when its going to be ready?...any info on
The Accuracy International AS50 as it says in my post...is used by the SEALs...witch says alot in my opinion...depending on when the XM500 is going to be ready cant see the SEALs investing time in the Accuracy International AS50....only to replace it 2 or 3 years later....but what do i know.....not sure how much progresstion can be made in sniper rifle development....in a few years....XM500 is still only in prototype stage...it will be great to see it in action...and how it copes with combat situations....only when its put through its paces for real can you really make a judgement...but all the stats say its going to do the business.....

nice one... looks like the people at Barrett have done it again......designing and producing great weapons seems to be a habbit for them

That Barret is a fine rifle and the only one that has accuracy upto 2500 meters. Its relatively new, but a fine sniping weapon. Heard nothing negative about it yet....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post

No doubt it will be some time before anything comes of the XM500. For the time being, the AS50 more than just passes. It is not only one of the most beautiful weapons in the world, but maybe the most lethal small arms weapon in the world.