armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 04-19-2009, 09:59 AM
First Lieutenant

Default Kind of disturbing

So, last night I was at a local bar and I began chatting with a few guys who seem to be locals there. One of them I had never seen before and it came up that I am leaving for the Army soon. They shook my hand and thanks me all that good stuff and this guy, his name was John, I think, started telling me that he was at ground zero and all the carnage he saw, etc. He said that there were 5,000 Firefighters and Police that had addressed George Bush and requested to be deployed to Afghanistan, for free but were rejected and then he told me that he was diagnosed with PTSD and forced to take meds for 2 years or go to the Psych ward. Anyway, he said that he had buddies in the service and that when I get to Afghanistan to look for the soldiers that have necklaces strewn with ears. Human ****ing ears!?

I didn't really know how to react to this, but WTF? Are there actually soldiers out there collecting the severed ears of insurgents?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
So, last night I was at a local bar and I began chatting with a few guys who seem to be locals there. One of them I had never seen before and it came up that I am leaving for the Army soon. They shook my hand and thanks me all that good stuff and this guy, his name was John, I think, started telling me that he was at ground zero and all the carnage he saw, etc. He said that there were 5,000 Firefighters and Police that had addressed George Bush and requested to be deployed to Afghanistan, for free but were rejected and then he told me that he was diagnosed with PTSD and forced to take meds for 2 years or go to the Psych ward. Anyway, he said that he had buddies in the service and that when I get to Afghanistan to look for the soldiers that have necklaces strewn with ears. Human ****ing ears!?

I didn't really know how to react to this, but WTF? Are there actually soldiers out there collecting the severed ears of insurgents?
Sounds like that guy was watching Universal Soldier... Dolph Lungrin did a most convincing cast as a pscho super soldier..... Dude, I would not take that seriously....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
First Lieutenant

My first observation of the guy was: A) He was definitely a lil sauced up and B) He was a little on the coo-coo side. However, the rational side of me knows that every lie has a grain of truth, so it made me think. You're right tho, it does sound like something from a movie.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Brigadier General

It sounds to me he was having his chain yanked by his friends in the military. More than likely they were support soldiers & not Combat Arms types & are trying to Rambo-up their military duties.

More than likely in the Chairborne Corps.

I've heard guys telling war stories to civilians about things that happened. Funny thing - I was within a meter of them the whole time & never even saw it.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Corporal

You don't have to read a lot of news to know that today's military takes the dimmest possible view on anyrhing like this.
Been several prosecutions to date.

This never has been an accepted or legal practice, though there have been incidents.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Corporal

I guess it's better than flying a B-52 into a mosque.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Sergeant First Class

I would even call BS on his ground zero tale. I was there but didnt witness the Bush speech so cant confirm that part.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Private First Class

that was interesting .....

Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbluesgirl1 View Post
that was interesting .....
that is very interesting! and...alittle...creepy i must say!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

What crap ... everyone knows we wear the ears on ankle bracelets, not necklaces.