armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Corporal

Default Withdrawing from Airborne Ranger

MSG Glenn or anyone else with some knowledge that can help my son out. As you know it has been awhile since I have been in and just making sure that what I am telling him to do is accurate and if there is anything else he can do.

Long story hopefully short: MOS 25B, Computer Tech. He went to basic and was offered a slot in the Airborne Ranger school and accepted it without realizing what it is all about. As he was going through his AIT he researched what is the Airborne Ranger School and what type of physical demands and mental stress this school will be. Realising that this isn't the type of school he wished to do he then went to his S-1 and talked to (don't know who) that is in charge of orders for the troops at TRADOC so that he and his buddy could get the school slot dropped from his orders. They said sure and he would get his orders for his next duty station in a about a month. Six weeks have gone by and to his surprise he was told today that he is to report to the hospital for a physical for evaluation to go to Airborne Ranger School. He doesn't mind going Airborne but he does not want to go to Ranger school. He is being threatened with AR15 if he misses any part of the evaluation process since that is what his orders are for.

Ok solution time.

I've pointed him in the direction of Chain of Command that he must follow and doesn't have much of a relationship with them being in TRADOC and all. He has already been to his PLT Sgt and I have tld him to go to his 1st Sgt tomorrow to see what he can do and information he can provide.

I know things don't happen fast in the Army to change orders but is there anything that can be done with in a couple of weeks to solve this for him? Can he go to Airborne and Tap Out of Ranger School? I know there are plenty of soldiers that have trained and want to go to Ranger school but just don't have a slot for them.

He would rather just not go at all.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDN View Post
MSG Glenn or anyone else with some knowledge that can help my son out. As you know it has been awhile since I have been in and just making sure that what I am telling him to do is accurate and if there is anything else he can do.

Long story hopefully short: MOS 25B, Computer Tech. He went to basic and was offered a slot in the Airborne Ranger school and accepted it without realizing what it is all about. As he was going through his AIT he researched what is the Airborne Ranger School and what type of physical demands and mental stress this school will be. Realising that this isn't the type of school he wished to do he then went to his S-1 and talked to (don't know who) that is in charge of orders for the troops at TRADOC so that he and his buddy could get the school slot dropped from his orders. They said sure and he would get his orders for his next duty station in a about a month. Six weeks have gone by and to his surprise he was told today that he is to report to the hospital for a physical for evaluation to go to Airborne Ranger School. He doesn't mind going Airborne but he does not want to go to Ranger school. He is being threatened with AR15 if he misses any part of the evaluation process since that is what his orders are for.

Ok solution time.

I've pointed him in the direction of Chain of Command that he must follow and doesn't have much of a relationship with them being in TRADOC and all. He has already been to his PLT Sgt and I have tld him to go to his 1st Sgt tomorrow to see what he can do and information he can provide.

I know things don't happen fast in the Army to change orders but is there anything that can be done with in a couple of weeks to solve this for him? Can he go to Airborne and Tap Out of Ranger School? I know there are plenty of soldiers that have trained and want to go to Ranger school but just don't have a slot for them.

He would rather just not go at all.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
Firstly, there is no such school as "Airborne Ranger School." Secondly, your son will not be going to Ranger School directly out of AIT, there is only one Regt. allowed to send members as low ranking as E-3 to Ranger School and that is the 75th Ranger Regt.

Your son may have volunteered for RIP, Ranger Indoc .. if he passed, he would be a Ranger and assigned to the 75th Ranger Regt. Being Airborne qualified is a requirement to attend RIP so he would have to attend Airborne School (3 weeks) prior to attending RIP.

Either way, attending Airborne school requires one to volunteer. If he doesn't want to go, he simply needs to pull his volunteer statement. If he wants to attend Airborne school, he just needs to nut up and do it.

As for RIP:

Being a Ranger also requires one to be a volunteer, so again, he can pull his volunteer statement for RIP without any recourse before he even gets there. If he chooses to wait then when he gets to RIP, all he has to do is say he doesn't want to be a Ranger during his inprocessing, they'll kick him out quick fast and in a hurry. Why? Because the 75th Ranger Regt. doesn't want people that don't want to be there.

Tell him to have a bit more situational awareness before he volunteers for things next time. He's a big boy now, so he needs to play by big boy rules .. and that means knowing what you're getting yourself into before you get into it.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Corporal

Much appreciate the information you provided. I do agree he needs to understand what he is volunteering for prior to just saying yes to something, and with this I am sure he will think again when someone asks him.

I was in his shoes when I was in basic way back when. I was pulled aside with 3 or four other people and asked if I wanted to become a diver for the army. I didn't have a clue and didn't have the means to do any research since I was in basic so I said no. It was one of the decisions I would have like to have done over again.

Thanks again.