armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Generally speaking anything above 300yards is sniping
What sniper school would consider above a measley 300yards sniping?
Anything over 300 is barely at the level of a marksman ... certainly not sniper.

As for the M4 Grunt Medic touched on accurately enough that I don't see any reason for me to add anything else about it.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:14 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt Medic TXARNG View Post
I carry the M4 as issued to the TXARNG - the most current version, with the RIS Rail system, folding back-up iron sight, and the M68 Close combat Optic as it's primay sight.

It's worth noting that the M4 is capable of firing semi or burst modes - and the M4A1 that fires semi or full auto. Also, full auto or burst fire is VERY seldom used - and only in particular circumstances like room clearing or Final Protective Fires. Overheating is NOT an issue with this weapon - bit the direct gas impingement system means that it fouls fafter than other systems, and requires more maintenance.

Accuracy is excellent - the use of optical sights has seen qualification scores skyrocket in terms of Soldiers successfully qualifying periteration. In addition to the M68 CCO, the military uses a variety of other sights - notably including the EOTECH Holosight, the Trijicon ACOG (4x), the Elcan variable power sights (1-4x and 1.5-6x), and night and thermal sights, as well. Even with plain iron sights, hits can be achieved consistently at 800m with the M16A2 and 600m with the M4 (that's as far as each adjusts - and the M4 is less simply because of the shorter sight radius and the fact that the bullet leaves the muzzle at 250 fps slower from a 14.5" barrel than from an 18" barrel)

And bullet weight is a concern - one reason we went from a 55gr bullet to a 62 grain one for our standard loading. But the fact is that, light or heavy bullet, shot placement is what counts. And the fact that combat isn't like TV - people don't just drop when they're shot. Even with catastrophic injuries like open head wounds, it can take quite a bit of time for the body to run down.
Heavier grain is a good idea GM, and the accessory flexibility another good feature.. The accuracy of the M4 is noted along with your comments on overheating.... from what I underestnad the gas return system jamming up I am presuming due to carbon scoring from use will invariably lead to jams as the channels close up... however, given the engagements it is used in, the tolerance before it starts to cause jams must be good.... which seems to be the only issue of note... all in all, not a bad account for the M4.....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
What sniper school would consider above a measley 300yards sniping?
Anything over 300 is barely at the level of a marksman ... certainly not sniper.

As for the M4 Grunt Medic touched on accurately enough that I don't see any reason for me to add anything else about it.
Lol.. Back in the early 90s, I was bullseyeing at 300 yds with 7.62mm using an FN with Iron sights, so yes, whilst I never became a sniper, I would have to agree...

There are weapons systems out there now that can accurately snipe to 2500yds, Barrett had on that "Mack" used successfully at that range on Future weapons... Field Craft as I know it seems to be all high tech weapons systems, gismos and gadgets.. Dunno how Id do, cos Im always getting killed on Xbox....

Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Brigadier General

I have never used the M4 when it really counts...from what I have heard it rarely fails the soldier in combat.I feel comfy with the SA80 and always have done.People can pick weapons apart and find problems with every weapon out there....if they look hard enough.

Its best to go on experience....and I havnt got enough on experience on the M4 to judge.

but the Yanks seem to do alright with it....so fair enough
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
I have never used the M4 when it really counts...from what I have heard it rarely fails the soldier in combat.I feel comfy with the SA80 and always have done.People can pick weapons apart and find problems with every weapon out there....if they look hard enough.

Its best to go on experience....and I havnt got enough on experience on the M4 to judge.

Army is looking to replace it somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years. Colt has it's updated AR on deck and Robinson, HK, Bushmaster and Sig are all vying for the nod.

Now if the Corps gets online.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:13 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post

Yep, AUG does it for me, but I have to say, the M4 would be a welcome alternative to my beloved AUG.....

Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
Army is looking to replace it somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years. Colt has it's updated AR on deck and Robinson, HK, Bushmaster and Sig are all vying for the nod.

Now if the Corps gets online.
Bushmaster has to stop producing **** before they'll ever have a chance at anything more than being someone's "very first" AR.

HK416s are what we (ASOC) wanted .. but thanks to SOCOMs push of the SCAR, also known as the POS ... we're only going ot have a certain number of 416s.

As of right now, however, there is nothing that improves enough to justify replacing the M4. Just not cost effective and as has already been said, our biggiest issue with rifles is not the rifle or the ammo, it's getting Joe to actually hit his target.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
Bushmaster has to stop producing **** before they'll ever have a chance at anything more than being someone's "very first" AR.

HK416s are what we (ASOC) wanted .. but thanks to SOCOMs push of the SCAR, also known as the POS ... we're only going ot have a certain number of 416s.

As of right now, however, there is nothing that improves enough to justify replacing the M4. Just not cost effective and as has already been said, our biggiest issue with rifles is not the rifle or the ammo, it's getting Joe to actually hit his target.
Why are they going with the SCAR if the HK was received more enthusiastically?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Sergeant First Class

When I arrived at the 101st, I went from the M-16 to the M-4 and got acquainted with the nice gadgets on them (e.gs pec2, M68 reflex sights) and it was nice to have. Not so heavy as the M16. When I set to deploy to Iraq and due to the transformation the MTOE had us being issued M16s again. I tell you being in a humvee in Iraq with an M-16 is not fun. I wonder how the Marines do it. Our platoon sergeant did his job and got us signed for M4s. We zeroed and qualed with them and they were a Godsend to have. Now I fired H&K weapsons in Germany and if the Army can get a hold of those; it will really do wonders.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Private

Wolg I completly agree, the M4 is amazing, just needs a little more stoping power like a 6.8 round. btw 19d here scouts out!