armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Recruit

Default New here, Question about when you get BAH???

My husband is enlisting to active duty and I wanted to know if I will be getting the BAH while he is in basic tranning? we have 2 children and I will be staying home in our apt. while he is gone. Oh, and I am a full time student and do not work. Thank you.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrj View Post
My husband is enlisting to active duty and I wanted to know if I will be getting the BAH while he is in basic tranning? we have 2 children and I will be staying home in our apt. while he is gone. Oh, and I am a full time student and do not work. Thank you.

Your BAH will start the day he becomes an active duty Soldier. The rate will start that day. Hopefully the Army PAC personell will be on thier A game and get it done in time you COULD receive it on his first paycheck. Not likely though, by the time his second check rolls around you should have it. You will get the pro-rated amount for the first month and the full amount for the second month. After his first pay period I would contact his finance office just to assure that they have the paperwork and the BAH is forthcoming. Bah is set by zip code and not your rent. You cannot compare BAH with another Soldier unless he lives in the same zip code. Most likely it will NOT cover the full amount of your rent...then again it might. If it does consider yourself lucky. I used to get 750 amonth BAH and my rent was only 500.00 so I was able to pocket the rest. Some can and some cant. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Recruit

Smile Thank you!

We are planning to leave one month of rent paid in advanced, but I will be making sure that I contact his finance office to stay on top of it.

1. We live in Houston, TX and my Rent is 609 a month. Do you know if the BAH is from where the dependents live or where he will be training?

He is taking his practice test today and next Tuesday he will take the real deal.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Staff Sergeant

reconmedik is right ive talked to a few people about this the amount will also depend on his rank so if he got an advanced enlistment rank you should get more for your BAH

Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrj View Post
We are planning to leave one month of rent paid in advanced, but I will be making sure that I contact his finance office to stay on top of it.

1. We live in Houston, TX and my Rent is 609 a month. Do you know if the BAH is from where the dependents live or where he will be training?

He is taking his practice test today and next Tuesday he will take the real deal.
It will be where the property is

Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Recruit

Smile

Thank you guys, we are hoping he will start as E-2. I typed in my zip code 77084(which is my apt. address) and it was a little over 1000. I did not think that was right because it seemed too high. The rank I typed in was for and E-1. I will talk to his recruiter next week when he takes the test and will make sure. I just really want to inform myself so I can have my list of questions ready; I do not want to go in blind folded. TY!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Recruit

Cool

Oops, I forgot to mention the website I used was the one here on army.com

[url]http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html[/url]

I am not sure how accurate this is though.