armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Current Events
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Assisting? Get a grip!The US had virtually no ground presence in Helmand/Kandahar prior to British/Canadian involvement there. It was the nut you didn't want to crack and were quite happy looking vacant in East Afghanistan. You (The US) are doing some serious bitching about Europe at present. Why don't you just grow a pair and mature as a nation! FFS We had to and nobody gave a flying F-ck about us for along time.
Well, we all know how much experience lies behind your comments ... so the phrase .. grain of salt comes to mind.

Enjoy.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
Well, we all know how much experience lies behind your comments ... so the phrase .. grain of salt comes to mind.

Enjoy.
lol,..............

Last edited by Texas; 04-09-2009 at 02:25 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Private First Class

The United States has the wheel,I understand that.The numbers they have out there means that is the way it is,but tell our troopers that are not a big part of the puzzle.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPJ1 View Post
The United States has the wheel,I understand that.The numbers they have out there means that is the way it is,but tell our troopers that are not a big part of the puzzle.
The US are the bedrock of security in the west. Thats a fact! ...........but however much they hate to admit it, They need the UK in theatre supporting "the message" without us they flounder around something shocking. Even after Blair sold us up the river into Iraq under dubious pretences we still sell credibility under the brand name UK PLC. Something the US bless em have always struggled to achieve.....

Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Recruit

Like spike said...who's gonna pay for it? Our country is going down hill.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
From a British point of view I'd like to see our contribution double if its to mean anything. But then I wonder whose going to pay for it, now that our economy is F-cked!
People can argue for more soldiers...whether more numbers will make the big difference or not? I'm yet to be convinced either way to be honest mate....There is always money put aside for military/defence spending...it dosent matter what the economy looks like....I would like to see the MoD put the funds in the right places before the think about committing more to the cause(opps)...whats the point of spending 50m on a new air-ground weapon that performs 5% better the the old one... Why not get westland to produce 6more chinooks...at the same price....10 times more valuable to whats going on.

Transport helicopters
Transport helicopters
Transport helicopters
Transport helicopters
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 04-19-2009, 07:14 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I think Blackwater should get redeployed to Afghanistan, They could maybe take care of Kabul
I presume you are joking.....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-19-2009, 07:27 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
The majority of NATO sit back and run defensive ops, and that's ONLY if the bad guys come to them and infringe upon their snack time and manicures.

The UK, Canada, and a few other countries are assisting with offensive operations, but they are in the minority and their numbers do not equal anything near that of US forces ... so it's very accurate to say the US is carrying most of the weight. It's not an insult to any of our allies that are assisting with offensive operations ... we're glad to have them, proud to work with them and appreciate the work they do and blood they spill, but it doesn't change the fact that the US bears the most burden. Just the nature of the beast.

On your other points:

Obama is simply attempting to parrot a solution thrown towards Iraq. More boots .. more security. It worked there. It will not work in Afghanistan.

As for the Taliban, they served a greater purpose to us during the Cold War ... after the USSR fell, they no longer served that purpose. Welcome to the game of geopolitical Risk and lack of foresight.
UK have being very active in Helmend provence for sure. The fighting there by all received accounts is fierce and the UK have done a hell of a job in beating the Taliban down..... however, the Taliban appears to be like a bad infection, you can beat it down, but it invariably comes back if you dont understand where it comes from and what it feeds on to become more potent.. I agree with you point about the support of the Mujahadeen and the Taliban post USSR defeat in Afganistan... the policy makers in the US were left found wanting, due to purposeful narrowing of their vision in policy making... it strikes me as wanting to travel the shortest path to acheiving objectives, which has in this case shown up to be wrong and self defeating. I have no doubt that US policy makers have learnt from such mistakes to the extent that they now think inside and outside the box when developing policy positions and strategies on foreign policy. All that said, and to paraphrase from an Afghan politican and achademic in an interview "You (the US) came to help us in our time of need and left us when we needed you most, we have learned of the barbarism of the Taliban and we ask you now to supply us what we need most, Soldiers for security and when we become stable, know that you also serve the stability of your nation"..... his words IMO are wise and valid for the Afghan question, and the west is obliged to assist in the stabilization and rehabilitation of Afghanistan... which serves our security and best interests in the long run...

One final point, I think the UKs contribution in Afghanistan is admirable, and all Allies should do the same..... that conflict IMO has a viable solution in a multipronged approach but led by intel led offensive operations.... and that requires skill, professionalism and operators to execute the missions.... the US and UK should not be shouldering the burden alone....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
I presume you are joking.....
I presume you are joking....

Old 04-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
UK have being very active in Helmend provence for sure. The fighting there by all received accounts is fierce and the UK have done a hell of a job in beating the Taliban down..... however, the Taliban appears to be like a bad infection, you can beat it down, but it invariably comes back if you dont understand where it comes from and what it feeds on to become more potent.. I agree with you point about the support of the Mujahadeen and the Taliban post USSR defeat in Afganistan... the policy makers in the US were left found wanting, due to purposeful narrowing of their vision in policy making... it strikes me as wanting to travel the shortest path to acheiving objectives, which has in this case shown up to be wrong and self defeating. I have no doubt that US policy makers have learnt from such mistakes to the extent that they now think inside and outside the box when developing policy positions and strategies on foreign policy. All that said, and to paraphrase from an Afghan politican and achademic in an interview "You (the US) came to help us in our time of need and left us when we needed you most, we have learned of the barbarism of the Taliban and we ask you now to supply us what we need most, Soldiers for security and when we become stable, know that you also serve the stability of your nation"..... his words IMO are wise and valid for the Afghan question, and the west is obliged to assist in the stabilization and rehabilitation of Afghanistan... which serves our security and best interests in the long run...

One final point, I think the UKs contribution in Afghanistan is admirable, and all Allies should do the same..... that conflict IMO has a viable solution in a multipronged approach but led by intel led offensive operations.... and that requires skill, professionalism and operators to execute the missions.... the US and UK should not be shouldering the burden alone....
Well considering BIN LADEN was using AFGHANISATAN as a base and training facility, we thought it only polite to give it PRIORITY over IRAQ.......(That BULL**** WAR BUSH and BLAIR got us into)....
God help US when the truth comes out

Last edited by Spike; 04-25-2009 at 02:46 AM..