Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckymom View Post
Thank you!! I am so PROUD too. There were some people though in his family that tried to talk him out of it and I guess they get me down sometimes. I can handle him going to Iraq if I know what to expect and I think that is what creates alot of worry. The not knowing. I have strong faith in God and know he can keep him safe wherever he is. For that matter he could have been killed right here in our drug infested town just as much as on the streets of Iraq.
My son has had no direction in his life for awhile and this has made him so much different already, he feels like he has a purpose. I can't wait to see him in his uniform at graduation. The recruiter told his dad and me that they would give us some kind of password where we could actually see him over the internet at his training. Have you ever done that?
NO!! I am so jealous! That would have been awesome to see him during training. Yeah, our family has been supportive... of course, everyone has served! haha It is hard to have friends less than excited and have very liberal views of the world. Anyway, I am so glad it has been a positive change. Must run to pick up kids but I had to write!! hahaha

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmullins View Post
the good new is your son is doing what makes him happy, and being someone you can look up to at the same time.

keep an eye on Fireball, she can get a little crazy at time, but is the best army wife on this site. she can be great to talk to when you need, and she makes some realy great cookies. (by the way fireball, i havent recieved my christmas batch yet?)

Texasmom is someone you may relate to a bit more, and she's proving to hold her own around here. i hear she freaks out from time to time (im sorry i missed the freakout post).

the guys around here are great to, but they get mad when we talk desperate housewives. but we girls cant help it, we love that ****.
Yeah yeah yeah..., K knows she is the bomb as well!!! This board is the best!!!!

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Corporal

Hi new worried mom~
I am in the same boat. My son left on the 3rd. and I am having a hard time. I am very anxious and worried. It is so hard to let them go. He did call me and he is having a hard time also. I will pray for your son. please keep in touch I am hoping this will help me cope.
God Bless

Old 01-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Corporal

My son is going to be a firefighter. It is so hard not knowing what is going on with him. I appreciate that you are here and that we can talk. I hope that it helps me be calm.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Brigadier General

Kentuckymom,

Be assured that your son will receive the best training available. At this time Field Artillery is not being utilized fully in combat in Iraq, maybe a little more in Afghanistan. Normally in a conventional war Artillery is pretty far from the front lines as their cannon can shoot a goodly distance. I don't want to alarm you but many canonneers are doing patrol work. He'll get plenty of training by trained Infantrymen. All I can relate to you is a neighbor who recently went over there as Field Artillery spent most of his tour doing patrolling. He didn't mind it too much & thinks he may even reenlist as Infantry.

I know exactly how you'll feel when your son gets deployed. My son just got back on 7 Jan from his 5th deployment, 4 in Iraq with his 3rd deployment in Afghanistan as an Army Ranger. After a while you'll get used to holding your breath for months at a time! As a 27 year military man "I felt his pain" to coin a phrase. Now he'll be getting out of the Army in May but he'll still have several years as a Reservist or Guardsman with our WI National Guard Brigade just recently getting a heads up that they're deploying sometime in '09.

Prayers go up to all of our young warriors.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Corporal

Send a message via MSN to angelbubbles68 Send a message via Yahoo to angelbubbles68

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson View Post
Hi new worried mom~
I am in the same boat. My son left on the 3rd. and I am having a hard time. I am very anxious and worried. It is so hard to let them go. He did call me and he is having a hard time also. I will pray for your son. please keep in touch I am hoping this will help me cope.
God Bless
hi there my son left on the 3rd also but he is in Ft.LeonardWood in MO. he did call again today on one of the SGT.cell phone cause when he called the other day he didnt know how to use a phone card so we didnt get to talk at all. But today was a great day to hear his voice because I was having a really bad day today and that just made my day...he told me felt he needed to call me that something was wrong with me... i was in the denist office gettting a tooth pulled at the time he called... we have always been extreemly close and alway have had that sence when the other one needed the other one and that just let me know that no matter where they send him I will always know how he is and he will always know how I am too.. if that makes sence... he still hasnt started the training part yet he said something about not getting the shots they gave him checked on time yesterday so he should start tomorrow... does this mean he wont graduate on time in march?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbubbles68 View Post
does this mean he wont graduate on time in march?
He's more than likely at the Reception Station & they'll make sure he starts his BCT on time. Sometimes new recruits are there for over a week until their class starts. My son left home about 2 weeks before BCT started. He had to leave by Feb. 1 so he could get his bonus. He left Jan 29 4 years ago. Bored out of his skull after the 1st couple days & he couldn't wait until he could start basic.

After getting his shots, his uniforms, learning how to make his bed & a little Drill & Ceremonies it started to be a drag.
Retired MSG

Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Corporal

Heard from my son yesterday. He went from Louisville to Dallas in a small plane, his first flight and he was pretty scared. Said it was like that Ron White routine about the crappy plane... Was going to Ft. Sill from Dallas and should be there now. Haven't heard anything but he said that he would probably be in reception for 6 days. Can he call while he is in Reception? How soon will we be able to send letters and is it true that for every letter they get they have to do 25 pushups?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Can he call while he is in Reception? How soon will we be able to send letters and is it true that for every letter they get they have to do 25 pushups?
It all depends on the Drill Sgt.or whoever's in charge. Every cycle is a little bit different than any other.

When he does his 25 pushups he has to say "more PT Drill Sergeant!" If he says that he'll probably have to do 25 more. If he doesn't say that he'll only have to do 25 more! That's the ARMY way!!

Don't worry about him too much. Millions have gone before him. He's in good hands. All they're trying to do is make him into a good soldier & they're professionals. Good soldiers have a much greater life expectancy
Retired MSG

Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Heard from my son yesterday. He went from Louisville to Dallas in a small plane, his first flight and he was pretty scared. Said it was like that Ron White routine about the crappy plane... Was going to Ft. Sill from Dallas and should be there now. Haven't heard anything but he said that he would probably be in reception for 6 days. Can he call while he is in Reception? How soon will we be able to send letters and is it true that for every letter they get they have to do 25 pushups?
Bubba sent letters even from reception, they just didn't have a return address on them. I thought he was being a typical man by not wanting to ask someone what his return address was, but apparently that was not the case. He too was very bored. I think they do some of it on purpose to start teaching them patience. I didn't get an address to write until a week or so after he actually started. Then I got 1 a day sometimes more. I saved them all in chronological order, someday I will show him just how much he grew up in those 9 weeks. The first ones were so sad. Went to visit him parents weekend and haven't gotten a letter since. Once he could have his cell phone there were no more letters. The only time he said he had to do anything was for a set of pictures I sent him of his sisters graduation, but he said it wasn't bad. I think it depends on the DS.