armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 AM
Recruit

Question Military Couple BAH questions.

I am in the National Guard and my husband is Active Duty Navy, we currently live off post and he recieves BAH I - w/dep. He recently got on the waiting list for military housing. I have been offered an Active position, and researched to find that if I take the position we will both be eligible to recieve BAH I w/o dep. (The Article is quoted below.)

My question is, if we move into the miltary housing, will I still recieve my portion of BAH I w/o dep, or will we both be sacrificing our BAH?

One more question, how do I make my rank appear next to my post?

*[URL="http://www.army.com/resources/item/727"]Army.com[/URL]

"Military couples stationed together have housing options. They can live off-base and receive a housing allowance, or can give up the housing allowance and live free in on-base family housing, If there are no other dependents (children), each member is treated as "single" (for housing allowance purposes), and each will receive the single-rate Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) appropriate for their rank and assignment location. If there are children, one member receives the with-dependent rate, and the other member receives the single rate. It is usually to the couples advantage to let the senior ranking spouse receive the "with dependent" rate. If a military couple is not stationed at the same base and there are no dependents, each member is considered "single" when calculating the housing allowance."

Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to kmullins

i believe both would lose the BAH. BAH is to help offset the difference you must pay to live off base to where living on base the rent is already paid for you. but, that's just my train on thought.

on the rank system here, this has nothing to do with you rank in the real army. this is just a little way for us to show our membership with army.com. the more post you have, the higher your rank.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Recruit

Thanks for your reply, and quick answer to both my questions, no wonder why you're a 2LT...

Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM
First Lieutenant

im glad i could help!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Private First Class

Ok Heres the Deal, if both of you are active duty you will both receive Bah, Which ever has the Higher pay grade will get BAH with dependents rate while the lower ranking will get BAH without dependentd rate. If you move into onpost houseing you will forfit the the higher ranks Bah with dependents rate while the other soldier(lower ranking) one will still receive Bah without Dependents rate.

Hope This Helps

Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujinraijin View Post
Ok Heres the Deal, if both of you are active duty you will both receive Bah, Which ever has the Higher pay grade will get BAH with dependents rate while the lower ranking will get BAH without dependentd rate. If you move into onpost houseing you will forfit the the higher ranks Bah with dependents rate while the other soldier(lower ranking) one will still receive Bah without Dependents rate.
Hope This Helps
why would you still recieve BAH for living on base?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Private First Class

# If a husband and wife both are on active duty and have a child, the higher-ranking spouse receives BAH at the “with-dependents” rate. The other spouse receives BAH at the “without-dependents” rate.
# The “without-dependents” rate is for single people with no family members living with them. Dual military couples without children both receive BAH at the without-dependents rate.

Thats if Living off post, if they move on post the higher-ranking spouse pays his BAH as rent of government quarters while the other keeps theres

Old 11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
First Lieutenant

hmm, i do understand what your saying, but i dont understand why.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Corporal

Default KMullins is correct

I would love to know where fujinraijin got that information.

JFTR VOL 1 U10300 A housing allowance, other than BAH-Partial or BAH-Diff, is not authorized for a member who is assigned to Government quarters appropriate to the member’s grade, rank, or rating and adequate for the member and dependents, if with dependents.

In other words, assigned to post housing = loss of BAH, regardless of with or without and marital status.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Private First Class

Yes that is true if your not duel military, you lose your BAH, If you are Dule Militaty then one gives up BAH and the other spouse keeps BAH...