Private

What is the tax percent?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox813 View Post
What is the tax percent?
I don't know. It may vary on where you live?? Hopefully someone who has received a bonus will reply and let you know...

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
I don't know. It may vary on where you live?? Hopefully someone who has received a bonus will reply and let you know...
To address a few concerns in this thread:

1. You cannot receive more than $40,000, so no point in using $42k as an example.
2. If you get $20,000, you will get half and half; half when you are stationed and half when you exit, however, they keep changing the rules on this.
3. If you get >$20,000, you get paid annually begining on the day you are stationed and on each anniversary of that date for the duration of your AD contract.
4. Taxes: Your tax rate is based on your income bracket. But for the most part, since we don't make all that much money, we will likely be taxed based on the civilian rate of bonus income, which is, sadly, about 25% unless your contract says it is tax-free, which for most enlisted is not the case (including myself). So I hope you guys have some deductions to use. However, because they distribute the bonuses at $10k per year, you are able to use deductions much more effectively to counteract the tax rate. For example, try coming up with $10,000 in standardized deductions in a single year compared to coming up with about $2,500 once a year over four years.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Sergeant First Class

My bonus was for 40,000 I was told I would get 10,000 after ait and that on my anniversey date I would get 6,000 a year for my last 5 years remember it is taxed

Old 06-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Private

My husband enlisted in April and we were told it was 40k total. 20K at the end of AIT, and then yearly instalments of 5k each year for 4 years.

But also, my bro-in-law is an army recruiter and has been in for 13 years and one thing he can vouch for, is that when it comes to money and the army. There is no real guess work. You kind of have to wait and see. Now I know we have a contract to get our money, but it doesn't outline a time of pay and what not. When he's received re-enlistment bonus' half the time they wouldn't come on the date he was told or they wouldn't come in the amount. Meaning, they could tell him he's getting it Mar. 3rd and he's getting 3k and he gets 1.4k on Mar. 19th and 1.6k on April 2nd. Why? No one knows, and you don't question it because you know it -is- coming, you just don't know when and how.

My husbands AIT is 15 weeks long, so we won't be seeing a bonus for a good while since his AIT doesn't even start til August 4th, so I won't be able to vouch for us as an example for getting a bonus. But what I can honestly say is that things tend to work differently for everyone, especially with the bonus variants.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Staff Sergeant

My son said that they taxed it os much he only got 150.00 of his 3K. Not sure how it works but he said it was right.

Not sure about that part. Good luck

Last edited by mtomom; 06-13-2008 at 06:30 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Rwife View Post
Ok so I am the wife of a soldier. ....
I already ANSWERED your question! Here's a copy / paste. I HATE having to do the same thing twice!!!

My son was owed $10,000 for a seasonal Infantry bonus. While in Infantry OSUT his contract was changed to 11X/Abn/option 40 (Ranger). that was another $3000 bonus. As soon as he completed RIP & went into the 75th Ranger Regt. he got his $3000. He kept applying for the $10,000 & finally it started coming. He was getting it monthly in addition to his regular pay/jump pay. They assured him that if he didn't receive all of it before he ETSed he would still receive it monthly in his direct deposit account until it was payed up.

Make numerous copies of all your paperwork: enlistment contract & completion certificates, orders to your unit , etc. & always make sure you have several copies for yourself. You'll have to submit all the paperwork every time you apply. Maybe you won't have a problem but you'll still have to physically apply for the bonus yourself. Ask your 1st line supervisor where to go for that. Bear in mind that my son was dealing with lazy civilians at Ft. Benning but eventually it worked itself out. What the screwup was the civilians thought that his initial $3000 bonus for Rangers was his 1st installment of the whole thing. They also told him that he could only receive one bonus in a fiscal year. He was wishing they would have started the Infantry bonus 1st & then the Ranger bonus.

Once you apply for your bonus check your LES after the date they told you that you'd start receiving it.

Don't let them screw you out of it. A contract is a contract regardless if you went into the Army for patriotic reasons or for the bonus.

If it ain't in your contract it ain't gonna happen.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Last edited by Grimm; 05-27-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Bonus

Quote:
I've read some of the other threads and I am still a bit confused about how you receive your bonus.

Ok. So when you get to wherever your stationed, you prove they owe you a bonus and it may take up to a month for you to receive it, and when you do you will receive half.

Now how does this dividing the rest of it up go.

Lets say I enlist 4 years active and get a bonus of 42k.

Unless they have changed it since I was active duty here is the way they pay it.
Once you complete BCT and AIT you have to file the necessary paperwork to get your bonus. The will pay you 1/2 up front. The rest is paid in increments on the anniversary of your enlistment until it is paid in full. In 24 years in the Army I never recieved a bonus but I knew several people who did aand thats how it was paid. Like Msg. Glenn said, keep copies of everything and DO NOT let your anniversary go by without getting paid. At least 3 months before each anniversary go to finance and remind them that your bonus payment is coming due and fill out whatever paperwork they require. Dont forget that Uncle Sam will also get his share so you can knock about 30% off for taxes.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Rwife View Post
Ok so I am the wife of a soldier. ....
If the paperwork states he has a bonus coming then he should have it coming to him. If his contract doesnt state he has a bonus then forget it your screwed! From here on out you need to make sure that no matter what he is told he gets it in writing. You dont have to be a rocket scientist to understand your contract. If someone told him he has a bonus all he had to do was ask them to show him in the contract where it was stated he would recieve it. When you sign up at MEPS The are a hundred places where you initial your understanding after each paragraph. If he didnt bother reading it before he initialed it....HIS BAD!! He can also go to his post inspector generals office and file a complaint, but I wouldnt advise that if he doesnt have it written in his contract that he has a bonus coming. If his contract states he has it coming then the IG will handle it and get him paid.
GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by Grimm; 05-27-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Corporal

Send a message via Yahoo to bgd8rd

Quote:
I've read some of the other threads and I am still a bit confused about how you receive your bonus.

Ok. So when you get to wherever your stationed, you prove they owe you a bonus and it may take up to a month for you to receive it, and when you do you will receive half.

Now how does this dividing the rest of it up go.

Lets say I enlist 4 years active and get a bonus of 42k.
You will get half of the $42,000 after you finish basic and ait. The half will be taxed though so don't expect a full $21,000. Every year after that for the next three years you'll receive installments of equal amounts of what they owe. Somewhere around the neighborhood of $7,000 dollars but they will be taxed so don't expect all 7G's...