armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Private

Default BAH and moving while hubby is in Basic

I have search all over the internet trying to find this info. Maybe someone here can advise me.

My husband is leaving for basic training on July 22nd. I know that once he receives a permanent duty station BAH will be based from there, but I have read that during training BAH is calculated on dependant's location. What do I need to do to give them updated information when I move in August? I am moving to Maryland because I am pregnant and need some help for the 8 months that my husband will be gone. The BAH there is $700 a month more and I know if I try to get a place there with a Phoenix based BAH, I will never be able to survive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Private

I'm just guessing but at this point since your husband has not left yet for basic I would say you should contact his recruiter. I think his BAH will is based off his home of record until he gets to his permenat duty station. I have never heard of it being based off of the dependants location. I could be wrong so definetely check with his recuriter.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily84 View Post
I have search all over the internet trying to find this info. Maybe someone here can advise me.

My husband is leaving for basic training on July 22nd. I know that once he receives a permanent duty station BAH will be based from there, but I have read that during training BAH is calculated on dependant's location. What do I need to do to give them updated information when I move in August? I am moving to Maryland because I am pregnant and need some help for the 8 months that my husband will be gone. The BAH there is $700 a month more and I know if I try to get a place there with a Phoenix based BAH, I will never be able to survive. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You receive it for the state your husband had residency in... from what I was told it doesn't have anything to do with where your dependents are. Could have mis-understood though. ArmyGirl4Ever will know. haha

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Private

well here is where I got that info from: [url]http://www.army.com/enlist/off-base-housing.html[/url]

"While you are in Basic Training and AIT/A school your BAH allowance is calculated based upon the location of your dependents."

I have seen that same info from other sources as well, but no mention of it being based off his HOR. Now I am being told it will be based off of what he puts on the paperwork he will fill out for DEERS at reception. How quickly do they do that paperwork?? I am moving only 1 week after he leaves.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Captain

Quote:

Your BAH will be based on the location that is listed on your husband's enlistment paperwork which is most likely his Home of Record. If you want it to be based on where you are going to be living while he was gone, talk to the recruiter and have that changed.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Private

I just wanted to update what happened with this so that if other's are in the same position ever, they will know the correct info.

We are receiving BAH for MY location, not my hubby's location or home of record, not the paperwork he filled out at enlistment, but the address he filled out on DEERS once he got to Basic. And also we do NOT need a lease from my family to receive it, he asked all about that when he got there.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
I just wanted to update what happened with this so that if other's are in the same position ever, they will know the correct info.

We are receiving BAH for MY location, not my hubby's location or home of record, not the paperwork he filled out at enlistment, but the address he filled out on DEERS once he got to Basic. And also we do NOT need a lease from my family to receive it, he asked all about that when he got there.
Just keep in mind every installation is different, so some may require proof while others just go off of DEERS and others still off of enlistment papers.

Glad you got it all situated.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Private

Default my experience

When my husband started basic his BAH was based on where I was living. I moved right before he started AIT and once he got to AIT I'm not sure who he talked to but he let them know during reception that my address had changed and they changed it, no problem I kept receiving the BAH based on where I was living : ). Hope this helps a little bit more!

Tags
bah during training, moving