armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Corporal

Default New worried mom here

Hi my 22 year old son just went to Louisville today to be shipped to Ft. Sill Ok on Wednesday the 9th. His MOS is Cannon Crew Member and he got a 40,000 sign on bonus for 6 years. Can somebody tell me how dangerous this MOS is? Will he likely go straight to Iraq without passing go? Someone told me alot of Ft.Sill's go to Germany, is this true. Any encouraging words are happily accepted....

Old 01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Corporal

Send a message via MSN to angelbubbles68 Send a message via Yahoo to angelbubbles68

sorry hun I wish I could help you but I dont have a clue what that MOS is. My son just went in also and i am not to sure what all the lingo is yet. Sorry. Maybe some of the others here can help ya when they all wake up and get back here lol...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Default Don't worry mom.....We look after our brothers.....Always.

13B - CANNON CREWMEMBER
Description
A Cannon Crewmember is an important part of the Army's success on the battlefield. Artillery teams are used to support infantry and tank units in combat, but also have responsibilities during peacetime. Cannon Crewmembers work on cannons known as 'howitzers,' a heavy artillery machine piece with single-barrel firing capability.

Here are some of the duties of a Cannon Crewmember:

Starts and maintains wire and radio communications
Identifies target locations
Operates self-propelled howitzers, ammunition trucks and other vehicles

Requirements
Cannon Crewmembers constantly lift heavy objects and perform strenuous activity for long periods without rest. Being in top physical and mental shape is definitely a plus. Normal color vision is also required in order to read color-coded ammunition, maps, and charts.

Training
Job training for a Cannon Crewmember requires nine weeks of Basic Training and 14 weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in a classroom and part in the field under simulated combat conditions. Some of the skills you will learn are:

Methods of calculating targets electronically and manually
Handling ammunition
Operating gun, missile and rocket systems
Artillery tactics and battle strategy

Skills
Helpful attributes include:

Interest in rocket and cannon operations
Ability to take on challenges and remain calm under stress
Top physical and mental shape
Ability to work as a team member

Responsibilities
Advanced level Cannon Crewmembers supervise other crewmembers and the distribution of ammunition to other units. Advanced Cannon Crewmembers manage cannon operations, training and maintenance. They are also responsible for positioning weapons in the right direction and maintaining all support vehicles..

Good Luck..Don't worry mom we look after our own like brothers. Always. I promise...

Spc. Nightflyer.
Army Aviation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever. The V's....
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Corporal

Thank you for the information. Sounds scary though....do you think he will go to Iraq straight away?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckymom View Post
Thank you for the information. Sounds scary though....do you think he will go to Iraq straight away?
Probably... most everyone we know who has gone in has left 4-9 months after AIT. Congrats! I am sure you are honored and nervous at the same time. All of us have been and will always be, but one thing is for sure - you have a choice to make it one of the best times of your life or worst. And it is WAY more fun to make it the best!!! It increases your faith as you watch everyone exercise so much care and loyalty to their units. We have adopted a solider and will be very involved this year. You will meet some incredible moms and wives that serve with all their heart as their soldiers do. SO many parents don't even attempt to understand - and you have. So for that you get lots of hugs!!! It is hard... I don't know if you are a religious person or not, but one of the books that was donated to soldiers this year was called Psalm 91 God's Sheild of Protection by Peggy Joyce Ruth, foreword was written by Lt. Carey Cash, Iraq Chaplain. I love that Psalm and it was a wonderful book. Anyway, I have lent it out to several people who just loved it. Anyway, good luck and if you need anything just ask!

Fire

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Corporal

Thank you!! I am so PROUD too. There were some people though in his family that tried to talk him out of it and I guess they get me down sometimes. I can handle him going to Iraq if I know what to expect and I think that is what creates alot of worry. The not knowing. I have strong faith in God and know he can keep him safe wherever he is. For that matter he could have been killed right here in our drug infested town just as much as on the streets of Iraq.
My son has had no direction in his life for awhile and this has made him so much different already, he feels like he has a purpose. I can't wait to see him in his uniform at graduation. The recruiter told his dad and me that they would give us some kind of password where we could actually see him over the internet at his training. Have you ever done that?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Thank you!! I am so PROUD too. There were some people though in his family that tried to talk him out of it and I guess they get me down sometimes. I can handle him going to Iraq if I know what to expect and I think that is what creates alot of worry. The not knowing. I have strong faith in God and know he can keep him safe wherever he is. For that matter he could have been killed right here in our drug infested town just as much as on the streets of Iraq.
My son has had no direction in his life for awhile and this has made him so much different already, he feels like he has a purpose. I can't wait to see him in his uniform at graduation. The recruiter told his dad and me that they would give us some kind of password where we could actually see him over the internet at his training. Have you ever done that?
My son joined the Army last April. He finished basic and AIT in August and was deployed to Iraq in December. Most of the time I deal with things just fine. As you may know I had a temporary melt down yesterday. I have to limit my intake of media! Sorry if I scared you. The Army has been so good for my son. He is a different person. He too needed some direction. He is 22 and didn't go to school out of High School for several reasons. He absolutely loves it! He loved basic, he was excited on his trip to Iraq, and he was really excited when he got to ride in a Blackhawk.

Most of the time it's like he is not even gone. I get emails a few times a week, and I have even had a couple of phone calls from him since he got over there. One day when he called he mentioned he had, had Subway for dinner! I am a control freak and I don't like not knowing where my children are so there were some letting go issues I had to work through, but I have for the most part.

When he was in basic there was a website that the Drill Sergeants kept up (for the most part) with pictures of the guys in training. It was pretty cool. There was only one that I could tell you for sure it was my son and it was picture of the back of his head with his name on his hat! But it was neat to see everything. They had DVD's we could purchase with a small donation at graduation.

Just stay positive for him, support him and let him know you love him. That's all mine every wants to know is do we support him, miss him and love him. Of course we do!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to kmullins

Quote:
Hi my 22 year old son just went to Louisville today to be shipped to Ft. Sill Ok on Wednesday the 9th. His MOS is Cannon Crew Member and he got a 40,000 sign on bonus for 6 years. Can somebody tell me how dangerous this MOS is? Will he likely go straight to Iraq without passing go? Someone told me alot of Ft.Sill's go to Germany, is this true. Any encouraging words are happily accepted....
the good new is your son is doing what makes him happy, and being someone you can look up to at the same time.

keep an eye on Fireball, she can get a little crazy at time, but is the best army wife on this site. she can be great to talk to when you need, and she makes some realy great cookies. (by the way fireball, i havent recieved my christmas batch yet?)

Texasmom is someone you may relate to a bit more, and she's proving to hold her own around here. i hear she freaks out from time to time (im sorry i missed the freakout post).

the guys around here are great to, but they get mad when we talk desperate housewives. but we girls cant help it, we love that ****.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Corporal

Hi~
My son left on the 3rd and it is driving me crazy him being gone. I am trying to learn how to cope with it but he is all I can think about. My son is also at Fort sill. I will pray for your son also. God Bless.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Corporal

Fort Sill too!! Maybe they will be there together. What is your son's MOS?