armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Second Lieutenant

Default This is it

It looks like Bubba has everything in the paperwork area squared away finally and will actually deploy a week from today. He has totally detached himself from me. I did get him to call me last night for a few minutes but that's the first call I have had since he was home in early November. He says I have to let go, I say I want to talk to you while it's easy and I can. I know he has a lot going through his head, and a lot to do so I am trying to understand. I also know he has to distance himself to make the deployment easier. That's just his way. He did it before he left for basic too. I am trying really hard not to take it personally. If I was there I am not sure if I would kick his *** or just hold on to him and never let go.

Sorry, emotions are running on high this morning.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom42 View Post
It looks like Bubba has everything in the paperwork area squared away finally and will actually deploy a week from today. He has totally detached himself from me. I did get him to call me last night for a few minutes but that's the first call I have had since he was home in early November. He says I have to let go, I say I want to talk to you while it's easy and I can. I know he has a lot going through his head, and a lot to do so I am trying to understand. I also know he has to distance himself to make the deployment easier. That's just his way. He did it before he left for basic too. I am trying really hard not to take it personally. If I was there I am not sure if I would kick his *** or just hold on to him and never let go.

Sorry, emotions are running on high this morning.
<hugs> it gets easier. Just think about the positives... how your relationship will grow when he is over through letters, how fun it will be to send packages... keep on the sunny side!

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 12-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Brigadier General

Godspeed to the warrior.
He's just psyching himself up for the big D. There's lots on his mind & I'm sure he's thinking of you but knowing that he'll be away for quite a while he's just trying to cut the cord sooner so he acclimate himself.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Godspeed to the warrior.
He's just psyching himself up for the big D. There's lots on his mind & I'm sure he's thinking of you but knowing that he'll be away for quite a while he's just trying to cut the cord sooner so he acclimate himself.
Thanks. I know that's what he is doing and i do understand. It's just the control freak coming out again. I have talked to him this week and he has actually answered a couple of my text messages. He says he is ready to go. I finally got his unit information out of him and that makes me feel better. He is part of Stryker. The more information I have the better I feel. At this point, I am holding it together pretty well.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Brigadier General

The Stryker is a good combat vehicle. My son went to Stryker school at Ft. Lewis a few years ago. His unit is using them in place of humvees for transportation & cover fire on missions. Much safer than Bradleys.
He served as a driver, gunner & VC on Strykers.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Corporal

Send a message via MSN to angelbubbles68 Send a message via Yahoo to angelbubbles68

I know how you feel TxMom42 my son is doing the same thing over here even though he isn't getting deployed but going to basic trainning on Jan.3 rd. It seems like everyday when he wakes up he is a little more differant then he was the night before more distant. It's already almost like I don't know him any more... he spends more and more time with friends then with family. I just really don't know how to handle it all... one day I am good and the next it's so hard...

Old 12-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbubbles68 View Post
I know how you feel TxMom42 my son is doing the same thing over here even though he isn't getting deployed but going to basic trainning on Jan.3 rd. It seems like everyday when he wakes up he is a little more differant then he was the night before more distant. It's already almost like I don't know him any more... he spends more and more time with friends then with family. I just really don't know how to handle it all... one day I am good and the next it's so hard...
Yeah, waves of emotion... that is the military life. haha My best friend and I were talking about how we felt like those fabreeze commericals where they are smelling the floor or pillows... because she was smelling her DH sweatshirt he left on the floor (he deployed recently) and I told her I did the same thing when I was putting away clothes I stepped in the closet and smelled him. hHAHAHA We both felt pathetic but just the smell was sooooo nice! ROFL In those moments us tough girls loose it. I will never complain about BO again. <jk> It is interesting how we supress those emotions to where they just pour out one day after days of feeling ok.

I have heard of the guys bonding close like that. You have to though - those are the guys that literally protect you. I look at it this way -- they protect them physically and as family we protect them emotionally, & spiritually. It is hard to feel like you've been replaced, but you really haven't they are just getting to know their unit/peeps and gain those relationships/friendships that will save their butt.

-Fireball

Old 12-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
Yeah, waves of emotion... that is the military life. haha My best friend and I were talking about how we felt like those fabreeze commericals where they are smelling the floor or pillows... because she was smelling her DH sweatshirt he left on the floor (he deployed recently) and I told her I did the same thing when I was putting away clothes I stepped in the closet and smelled him. hHAHAHA We both felt pathetic but just the smell was sooooo nice! ROFL In those moments us tough girls loose it. I will never complain about BO again. <jk> It is interesting how we supress those emotions to where they just pour out one day after days of feeling ok.

I have heard of the guys bonding close like that. You have to though - those are the guys that literally protect you. I look at it this way -- they protect them physically and as family we protect them emotionally, & spiritually. It is hard to feel like you've been replaced, but you really haven't they are just getting to know their unit/peeps and gain those relationships/friendships that will save their butt.
Not so sure about the smells. Maybe that's a hubby thing. The first thing my girls did when he left for basic was to clean out his room and fumigate it. Things that make you go eeeewwww!!!! But it is a roller coaster ride. I can be fine one minute and in a puddle of tears the next. In my head I know everything will be fine. But I just can't think about it too long. I don't think there is any one trigger, just lots of little ones. Lower food bill, fewer socks to match, less gas money handed out, no bud lights in the fridge, the bathroom stays cleaner,one less person to make the girls scream "MOM!!! Make him stop!" when he has had too much Taco Bell (that's a smell no one misses!). Hmmm, maybe it will be OK after all. Just kidding, Bubba!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom42 View Post
Not so sure about the smells. Maybe that's a hubby thing. The first thing my girls did when he left for basic was to clean out his room and fumigate it. Things that make you go eeeewwww!!!! But it is a roller coaster ride. I can be fine one minute and in a puddle of tears the next. In my head I know everything will be fine. But I just can't think about it too long. I don't think there is any one trigger, just lots of little ones. Lower food bill, fewer socks to match, less gas money handed out, no bud lights in the fridge, the bathroom stays cleaner,one less person to make the girls scream "MOM!!! Make him stop!" when he has had too much Taco Bell (that's a smell no one misses!). Hmmm, maybe it will be OK after all. Just kidding, Bubba!
ROFLMBO! That was too funny.

-Fireball

Old 12-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Second Lieutenant

What can I say, humor gets me through.