armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 12-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Recruit

Default Need serious advice

My best friend just returned home from Iraq two months ago. I understand that alot of soldiers are having some issues when they get home and he seems to be one of them. I know he has been seeing a counselor. But still, I am worried about him. Before he left, he was an all around happy person. We have always been extremely close. We saw each other about every weekend and talked about 4 times a week before he was deployed. When he came home for R&R, he called me as soon as he was off the plane and got to a phone. It's been two months and I still haven't seen him. He doesn't answer most of my calls and he won't return my missed calls or voice mails. I've probably only spoken to him a handful of times since he returned home. Unfortunatley I'm in a position right now where I can't drive to see him, or I would have already been at his doorstep. From what I understand, he has become an angry individual, but not quite violent. Especially when he drinks. From what I've read on the issue, I should give him space and just be there if he needs me. But that is so hard! Especially when I can barely get him to answer the phone. I haven't really talked to him about this yet. I don't really know how to approach him about it. I'm afraid he'll get angry with me. Has anyone else gone throught the same thing or have any advice on how to handle this? I love this man and would do anything for him, but right now I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Recruit

Unhappy worried about my son

My son came back from Iraq four months ago, and I haven't seen him yet. I am so worried about him also, so I know what you are going through. He has been put on medication for stress and depression, and now has no contact with anyone. Don't know where to turn. The army is putting him through unncecessary stress. He is so doped up on meds I don't know how he can go through his daily job. Have you found anyone who can help you? He says he cannot go back to Iraq a third time, and why would they send him when he is having a hard time functioning here in the states? Don't know where to turn for help. Praying for you and your situation, take care, a worried mother of a soldier

Old 02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
General of the Armies

My best wishes to your loved ones who are soldiers with post combat issues.... It annoys me to no bloody end that Army Medical Officers medicate possible PTSD sufferers with Meds.... what you both describe fits loosely into that catagory... We had the same issue until a young medical officer who served with a foreign Army (maybe US), came home and joined the Irish Army. She was an accomplished expert in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and cured men, not doped them out of their heads. The stress of combat (cumulative stress) is amplified over time in theatre, and cutting a long story short, makes the soldier despite their training more succeptable to incidental stress.... these traumatic events have a harder impact on the solider as a result, and can push the mind into partial shutdown due to the overwhelming experience/trauma they experienced...... This festers like a cancer in the mind, if its not structured and treated..... No Im no expert, but Ive experience of "trauma", and whilst I reacted differently to most, I can appreciate that its a long road back.... after looking into it, and the medical officer who saved so many minds, I realised its teasing out the issues in counciling is the resolution, as the person needs to accept the experience, and grow beyond it mentally, and some would say spiritually (this is different to religous belief).... A tall order for any man!!.. Now onto the upside, many back from theatre of combat are suffering from combat stress (not PTSD), and deal with it in their own way without requiring assistance from a medical officer...however, dont take this post as pure fact, cos EVERY case is different..... if its seems to go on, the person should get checked out by a Medical Officer.... if its a clean bill of health... cool!!... If its not and a diagnosis is made, the earlier the treatment the better... Good luck to you both....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"