armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Private

Default TriCare?

Okay, I am new to this and am trying to figure out all of this Tricare stuff... my husband has been at BCT for a little over a month now, he is Army Reserves...from what he understood, when he got there he was filling out the paperwork for our health insurance. He took all of our paperwork, my social security, etc. and says he filled everything out. He said that I should have gotten the insurance information from the army by now. I also have heard people make mention of receiving a "welcome packet". I haven't gotten ANYTHING and am rather confused about how to fix this. Talked to his recruiter who said to contact his unit administrator, who said that if they didn't send anything to me there's nothing she can do about it. I am already registered in DEERS, we did that before he left. Does anyone have any advice??

Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Tricare nightmare

If you are already enrolled through DEER's then you are good to go. Go to the closest military base and get your I.D. card. Once you have that you can go to the local DEERR's office and they can get you a tricare I.D. Card. YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE THE CARD TO GET CARE. All you need is your husbands social security number and you will be fine. If you cant get to a base then dont worry about it. Any hospital will accept Tricare with your Hubby's SSN. However you need to get a list of TRICARE providers in your area for regular Dr. Apppoinments. Your recruiter will probably have one since he goes to the Dr. too.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Private First Class

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
If you are already enrolled through DEER's then you are good to go. Go to the closest military base and get your I.D. card. Once you have that you can go to the local DEERR's office and they can get you a tricare I.D. Card. YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE THE CARD TO GET CARE. All you need is your husbands social security number and you will be fine. If you cant get to a base then dont worry about it. Any hospital will accept Tricare with your Hubby's SSN. However you need to get a list of TRICARE providers in your area for regular Dr. Apppoinments. Your recruiter will probably have one since he goes to the Dr. too.
Alot of places you may not even be issued a tricare card (i wasnt) your med infor will be on the back of your picture ID card that was issued on base at the ID office. and that is all you will need to take to your appointments and to schedule anything. did you get the form to take to your id office on base? if not maybe you can call and let them know that part because that is all you need.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Private

Default I.D. Card

...thank you both for replying! On the back of my military I.D. card it says that medical is "with active duty orders for over 30 days"... since he is Reserves, but in training, does this apply?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Sergeant First Class

yep when you are in training that count's as active duty time when he deploy's that is counted as active duty time also

Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Captain

This means you will only be covered at times your spouse is on Active Duty over 30 days. There is a program that you can see if you are qualified for that will allow you to pay for Tricare. I'm not in the Reserves but I will see if I can find out the name, I believe it's called Selected something.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Military Onesource

Go to [url]www.militaryonesource.com[/url]. This website answere ALL my wifes questions when I was deployed to the BOX. They also have a 1-800 number so you can talk to a live person when you cant find the answer on the web. They are staffed 24/7. Invaluable information here from people who really want to help Military Spouses.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Captain

reconmedik, that is one of my favorite resources!!! Thanks for sharing it. Yes, they are great! They can answer everything.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Private

Default Thank you both!

Thank you both for your replies and thanks for the link, I will definitely bookmark it! I have to say, everyone who I have spoken with on here has been a tremendous help, as well! The military spouses definitely had it harder back before the internet... I'm sure there were resources, but not as readily accessible!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Private

Default Answer to TriCare Question

I went through this too. I went with my wife to the local Army Base, before she left for BCT & AIT. I got my Military ID and so did my son, who will be 10 in June. My wife is Army National Guard. So it says on the back of my card, " Medical with Active Duty Orders over 30 Days".
All you need is a Copy of his Orders. You either need him to send them to you, or Get them through his Recruiter. I went through this and it was a pain, Since I don`t have my wife`s address yet and wouldn`t want to bother her with it while she is in Basic and It would take too long to send mail back and forth with her, due to the Military Snail Mail. When I conatacted the recruiter he said he could get it, but I couldn`t. Since you have to get the orders from MEPS and even with my ID I would not be allowed access to the MEPS building. This is a Major Flaw in the Shipping Out Process! They should have ALL Recruits, put a copy of their Orders in the Mail, to their Family before they leave MEPS, and there would be NO Problems. Since I have 2 young boys at home, I was really concerned about access to Medical Care if they got Sick or Hurt. I hope this helps you & God Bless You & your Husband!