armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Armies of the World
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Good article Spike, and it highlights the need for changing values that these Taliban (local) leaders are putting their people through... if the ferocity ofthe conflict doesnt sway them, then the blood letting must continue until the replacements are ready to talk...
Ferocity? Are you kiddin yourself? Soviets spent 10 years smashing that country into roubble and you don't see the flaw in what you just said..............

Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heama View Post
Ferocity? Are you kiddin yourself? Soviets spent 10 years smashing that country into roubble and you don't see the flaw in what you just said..............
and we spend about that in making sure that the nonsense wouldnt get here.
after about million belts of rounds... we failed. and you know why.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
and we spend about that in making sure that the nonsense wouldnt get here.
after about million belts of rounds... we failed. and you know why.
...............What?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default but this is nice

I am in here now
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7871216.stm[/url]

north of Afghanistan. Nice and lonely place. Good to have free food again

Old 05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heama View Post
As you obviously dont know the difference between the Soviet and Allied campaigns, let me summarise young man... As follows; Soviets launched a conventioned campaign against a seasoned guerrilla army. The Allies launched a conventional to counter insurgency campaign against the seasoned guerrilla army, and is going to succeeed cos of that point and the other major point.... the goal of the Soviets was victory, the goal of the allies is stability and security.... two VERY different goals... The progress of the Allies to date is less fluid then the soviet campaign and much better tailored to the enemy that has proven so resourceful for so long.... note also that the enemy is more and more foreign fighters including a very large pakistani element, which has come to die. The Afghans are prepared to fight and die for the freedom that they crave for for so long and that my young friend is why they are seeing the Taliban for the monsters they are and allying themselves with ISAF and the new Afghan National Govt. It will take a while but peace will fall on Afghanistan......

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
As you obviously dont know the difference between the Soviet and Allied campaigns, let me summarise young man... As follows; Soviets launched a conventioned campaign against a seasoned guerrilla army. The Allies launched a conventional to counter insurgency campaign against the seasoned guerrilla army, and is going to succeeed cos of that point and the other major point.... the goal of the Soviets was victory, the goal of the allies is stability and security.... two VERY different goals... The progress of the Allies to date is less fluid then the soviet campaign and much better tailored to the enemy that has proven so resourceful for so long.... note also that the enemy is more and more foreign fighters including a very large pakistani element, which has come to die. The Afghans are prepared to fight and die for the freedom that they crave for for so long and that my young friend is why they are seeing the Taliban for the monsters they are and allying themselves with ISAF and the new Afghan National Govt. It will take a while but peace will fall on Afghanistan......
Afghan culture is riddled with tribal politics, government corruption, honour killings, Islamic fundamentalists.

Alot of the A.A are only loyal to us as long as the money is there to pay them. It is going to take many years to change the mindset and natural distrust which Afghans have for foreigners.

I think we're going to be there for another 10 years at least

Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Afghan culture is riddled with tribal politics, government corruption, honour killings, Islamic fundamentalists.

Alot of the A.A are only loyal to us as long as the money is there to pay them. It is going to take many years to change the mindset and natural distrust which Afghans have for foreigners.

I think we're going to be there for another 10 years at least
Don't forget us keeping our noses out of their opium trade.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
We need to create stability first, which makes it difficult as the Taliban are financed through that stuff

Old 05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
Very witty for you that lad!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default now at Bagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolq View Post
I am in here now
[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7871216.stm[/url]

north of Afghanistan. Nice and lonely place. Good to have free food again

wow, hard to believe I am at war. Just got here today. I am in a dormitory type barracks with Air force Guys (cramped 5/6 to a room). We have toilets and showers indoors. We have to take 3 min combat/ship showers but its awesome. The buildings are hard so when mortars or rockets come, we dont have to leave the building. place is packed too. people come here for R&R. I cant believe I will make an extra gran a month being here. amazing.