armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 01-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Private

Post Greetings from England

Hello
My son left for Ft Benning today to start basic training. He lived in Va with his Dad since he was 10 and now seems to be sort of following in his footsteps. Dad was 212thMP based in A'burg Germany for 3 years. I last saw him in 2007 for his 18th birthday and although we email and talk on the phone I would have loved to be able to give him a hug before he left today. I hate that I will not be able to be at any of his graduation ceremonies but I am trusting that his father will at least take photos. (fingers crossed)
I have used this site for finding out what he will be going through and also to see how other parents cope. I have to say I am very proud of my son.
Will probably have loads of questions in the upcoming weeks/months so I hope thats ok.
Best wishes to all
heading off now as it is about midnight here.
take care.
EnglishMum

Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Brigadier General

Mum,

If you have questions ask away. Do you know what job (MOS) your son is training to be? My son is the product of Ft. Benning Infantry School. In his case the Infantry School & Basic Training is all run together as one course called One Station Unit Training (OSUT). From there he went directly to Airborne School to learn how to jump out of airplanes. After that he went to the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) to test for entry into the 75th Ranger Regt. all at Ft. Benning & eventually to Ranger School shortly after. He wound up in the 3rd Ranger Battalion also at Benning.

He recently left active duty after 4 years & 16 weeks & is now in an Army Reserve unit.

I myself was career Army & retired several years ago. I had taken some of my training at Ft. Benning, Airborne School & several other courses & instructed at the Infantry School & Airborne School for a while. That was a bunch of years ago, though

You can go on the Ft. Benning website & get some information about the training. If he's going into the Infantry they also have a website which I believe is linked from the Benning website.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Second Lieutenant

Welcome! My son also did his basic training at Ft Benning. There is a website for the training units but of course I can't remember what it is. I will play around and see if I can figure it out. I was able to go on and see pictures of their training. Of course you can rarely tell one recruit from another but it does make you feel better. Ask your questions, someone will have the answer.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Private

Smile

Thank you for your replies, welcomes and information.
My son is 11x option 32 - Infantry Recruit, but not sure what the option 32 is. Yes, he is doing OSUT.
When I last spoke to him, just before he left for Ft. Benning, he said he was going the following day for more fitness tests - I know he is interested in going for Special Ops. He said something about having to do certain fitness tests in a minute rather than in 2 minutes?
I have looked at the websites suggested - thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. I get frustrated by the lack of information that I have at this point but I am sure that will change as and when possible.
I looked at what can and can't be posted to him - but there was no mention of pre-paid phone cards (so he can call us in England) being allowed or disallowed. I will ask him when I write but if anyone knows advice would be appreciated.
Take care and have a great weekend.
EnglishMum

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Brigadier General

He probably won't be ble to use a phone for at least the first few weeks & after that he might be allowed to call on Sundays. It all depends on whatever policy the Drill SGT & his command sets. Sometimes a phone call is allowed to those recruits doing a good job as an incentive. When he gets into the Infantry School phase he'll be allowed a few more privileges.

I'm not sure what an option 32 enlistment is. Could you please enlighten me? I know Option 4 is Airborne School, Option 40 is Ranger, 18X is Special Forces. I tried Googling the various Army enlistment options & haven't been able to determine what a 32 is.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
General of the Armies

Hi Englishmum,
Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy our crazy debates, and hope to see your contris soon... Like Glenn, Dunno what an Option 32 is??... Can you enlighten us please....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 01-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Private

Smile Option 32

Hi
As soon as I know what it is I will put it on here. My son sent me a photo of his enlistment info which gave:
Name:
Job: 11X1 (plus some other letters/numbers)
Title: Infantry Recruit
Option: 32
Title: United States Army

I am intrigued that no one knows what it is, but it could just be a general code for unassigned maybe?

Horrible windy night here and icy rain too.
Stay warm everyone if you can.

EnglishMum

Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Private

Exclamation A change of contract?

Well my son has been in touch with his girlfriend (as I thought he would be) and she has passed on his news. Apparently he has changed his contract and signed up for 3 years, rather than the original 2 (plus 4 Reserve), and will be going to The Old Guard just outside DC. That is all the info I have right now and I am a bit confused as to what is happening. Still waiting to hear direct from him but not holding my breath on that

best wishes
EnglishMum

Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

3rd ID? He gets assigned after basic...

Old 05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Private

My son graduated on 1st May and will soon be heading to Arlington just as he was told he would be when he changed contracts after he got to OSUT.

Hope everyone is well