armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Private

Default A bit out of shape

Heres my story:
I'm 23, 6'3" and 247lbs. Wanting to get back into military like I've discussed with a few of you.

Havent worked out pretty much since AF basic, end of 2002, Came home at 194lbs. Since then my weight was staying around 215-220 until this past year when my girlfriend got pregnant with our son. So I kinda packed on some simpathy weight you may call it.

Since I've been thinking about getting back in the army, I decided to start working out and get backin shape.

Diet:
I've cut off the pop, maybe having 1 12oz diet every few days.
WATER, WATER drinking 5-6 20oz bottles a day.

Avoiding all fried foods, been sticking with lean chicken, salads, fruit, occasionally my home meals are a little more fatty since i dont have as much as i used to..
Definatly cutting the calorie intake down

Work out
2 days weeks (schedule is pretty busy since their is a 4 yr old and 7 month old around)
started back at track, full stretch, started the walk 2 miles and now I'm at running the straights and walking the curves. Maybe since because I havent ran in a while,, i push it going 1/4 mile. ended up getting shin splints, trying to let them rest, but want to keep going.

still need to work on my sit ups and push ups.. Not sure if pull ups will be a issue..Casue I've never in my whole life been able to do more than 1,even in gym class and I wasnt overrweight..

I know dropping this weight down will help in running, and the rest of my workout..

Anyone have any helpfull tips or comments, to help drop this weight and gain muscle.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Private

bro im 288 lbs or so and 6 ' 3 20 years old. i was 326, cut off the soda in my life not even diet. **** THAT ****! its all the same. its a hard road but its for the best. good luck to you and best wishes.

and for sure you sound d more physically fit, i know you can do a mile if i can do a mile + in the unfit position im in.

Last edited by evoarmy45; 10-18-2007 at 12:39 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

The first thing to do is get ahold of the Army PFT scores needed to pass basic. If you can work your way up to that level before joinig you'll be just that much further ahead of the game.

Practice your pull-ups. When I was involved in recruit training the Drill SGTs had the recruits do pull ups just before they entered the chow hall.

If you decide on any of the hard core MOSs like Airborne you'll need to do them. Get yourself in shape. You'll be doing lots of running , PUs & SUs.

Your diet seems fine. Try to lose as much weight as you can safely. If you can hold off until you meet all requirements to graduate from BCT then you'll have it made & it'll be a lot easier on you.

As a soldier your life & the lives of your battle buddies depend on eveyone being in good physical condition.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Private

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice and support.

I had already planned on getting in shape and knowing that I can meet requirements in BCT plus more before I would even sign.

During my time in basic when I was in the Air Force, before I was discharged.. I had no issues with the pt. Except maybe pull ups..

Thanks Again

Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Brigadier General

You're Welcome!

Any further questions will be cheerfully answered by me or many others on the site.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Don't worry about the minimum scores, going into BCT with minimum scores isn't going to help you any.

Be able to do 100 Push-ups in 2 mins. 100 Sit ups in 2 mins, and work on getting your 2 mile down to 13:00. Come close to making that, and you'll be set as far as the APFT.

As for pull-ups, go to the gym and work on the machine, start at half your body weight, then increase it. Pull-ups, like Push-ups are mostly muscle memory, you have to practice them to get good at them .. if you can't lift your own body weight, you can't practice. So use the machine.

Work on your upper body, it sounds as if your diet has a good amount of protien and carbs .. since you will be working on your cardio a lot you won't pack on a lot of bulk by lifting weights, but you will increase some of your strength.

Don't forget your legs.