armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Recruit

Thumbs up A question about the proper handling of hand grenades:

Hi Soldiers.
this is my first post here and I have what I consider to be a very strange question for any and all soldiers from any and all branches of service that are willing to indulge me with your personal opinions based on actual training you have received while serving our great country.

Let me explain myself further so you understand where I'm coming from. I am and always have been a civilian, so I have no first hand knowledge at all regarding the training methods and procedures offered by the military in the area of training our people in combat field practices. I do have a brother who was a Drill Sergeant during the vietnam era and have asked him this question also. He says the guy is either a poser or a section 8, and I agree with him. But this guy claims my brother is imaginary and refuses to accept any second hand info at all as my own fiction. I want a true and honest answer to this question from as many soldiers from as many branches of service, of as many ranks as possible. So please, if you were a sergeant and a Captain has answered me, don't feel that agreeing with him is being redundant. I want opinions from the perspective of as many of you as possible based on your personal experience in the field.

Here's my specific and detailed issue. I have been on a debate on another forum where a guy who claims to have served in the military insists that he has used a hand grenade as a hammer in the field dozens of times, and was trained to do this as a practice in order to for example, set booby traps or IEDs while in the field. Here are direct quotes of his statements:
Posted by daewoo:
Or that we are "intelligent" people capable of exhibiting meaningful "logic".

I happen to know for an absolute fact that you can drive a nail with a hand grenade. I have done it dozens of times. In Archie world, that apparently make a hand grenade a hammer.
He also said this after I questioned the logic of doing such a thing with a live, yet inactive hand grenade:
Posted by daewoo:
Or, Archie does not know a damn thing about hand grenades, which have a flat, machined bottom. You can beat on the bottom all day without any risk of the thing going off. Most hand grenades have flat bottoms. Only US hand grenades have machined bottoms, and it is so you can drive a nail with them.

For years the army has issued tripwire kits that included in the instructions "Drive pivot pin into suitable wooden surface with base of grenade". The pivot pin was a #20 nail with a groove machined in it about 2" from the top.

Leaving rocks that look like somebody has tried to use them as a hammer laying around your booby trap is a bad idea.
He insists that prior to pulling the pin a grenade is totally inert and the internal firing mechanism is totally immune from being accidently set off from the concussive force of let's say, hammering in a nail with the bottom of an inactive yet live grenade. And can anyone confirm that the directions with a tripwire kit advise driving in the nail with the grenade? I have been told that the nail is actually meant to replace the pull pin which is connected to the trip wire for easy discharge.

Can anyone confirm using a grenade as a hammer is a proper use of a hand grenade according to the principles of military training procedures at any level of the service, be it Special Forces, Seals or general combat training? Or more bluntly stated did or would any of you use a hand grenade as a hammer under any circumstances?

I sincerely hope you can clear this question up without concern for breaking any rules of conduct regarding the use of military equipment required of you. I look forward to your responses which I will post on that debate so that he can't deny or ignore the opinions of actual soldiers with real world experience and training which I lack. Thank you all in advance no matter what your answers are, but please don't be shy, I want your opinion even if you feel it has already been said by someone else.

Last edited by Archangel; 04-18-2009 at 05:19 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Recruit

Default Why so shy?

No opinions at all regarding this question? Does that mean that many of you agree that using a hand grenade as a hammer is a safe and proper use of one? Or am I misreading the silence.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Corporal

you sure did your homework! lol, to be honest i dont have any idea if thats legit or not. although it does "sound" pretty dangerous, i couldnt say one way or the other.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Sergeant

Default best way

dont be around when it goes BOOM

Old 04-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Brigadier General

depends from the situation..

Old 04-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Recruit

Default no!! it is not to use as a hammer!!!!

i already worked many times with hand grenades. And i must tell you that is not the best use of a hand grenade. I advise you to see the x-ray of a hand grenade to understand the body and components of a grenade.
I am a professional in this line of work for some time now and the best advise i had from my instructors regarding explosive devices is: " learn about them, see how they work!".

and i give you the same advise, that way you will understand that the grenade is built with two pieces ( making it simple, because there are many more), and there are many reasons for it to explode or ignite.

i can explain it better, but you may not underrstand very well, so, i advise you to see how they work.

just for the person that told you that he used has a hammer, if the trigger sistem device was not well attatched to the explosive body ( the main body) it could be very dangerous. Because the detonator could be ignited without taking the trigger pin.

Hope i didnt made you more confused about all this,

Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Recruit

I'm really surprised that only Rod has a definite opinion about this question. I would have thought that everyone would have some very definite thoughts on this practice having gone at least through basic training, if no other advanced classes regarding the proper use of and safety measures regarding hand grenades.

Remember, this guy is claiming it's ok to drive a nail with a hand grenade. Does that sound like a logical or rational use of an inactive, yet live grenade according to your training and experience? Thanks in advance for any input offered though. I really appreciate the feed back.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:12 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
I'm really surprised that only Rod has a definite opinion about this question. I would have thought that everyone would have some very definite thoughts on this practice having gone at least through basic training, if no other advanced classes regarding the proper use of and safety measures regarding hand grenades.

Remember, this guy is claiming it's ok to drive a nail with a hand grenade. Does that sound like a logical or rational use of an inactive, yet live grenade according to your training and experience? Thanks in advance for any input offered though. I really appreciate the feed back.
Dude, that guy is IMO reckless if he does that... Im not US Military, but I did train on Hand Grenades in the Irish Army. Basically every hand grenade has a detonator and charge. The charge is inert until the safety pin is pulled and the detonator explodes. As Rod has said the detonator if directly based being used as a hammer can explode taking your arm off, but the charge (with the detonator removed) could be used to hammer a nail in theory.... however, its not advised and definately not the best use of a handgrendade..... As a soldier he would have an entrenching tool (small shovel) or Assault Rifle, or personal work tool that would be a much better choice for the task. I personally would be treating Hand Grenades and all ordanence with more respect then that.... as the outside chance of getting blown up is something I would like to avoid.

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Corporal

There is a blasting cap inside those critters.
Like a dynamite cap.

I am unsure of the properties of the ones used today, but I would believe they are not real sensitive to shock of this type.

That said, there are a lot of tombstones of GIs who did really stupid stuff like this.
Or worse, just happened to be standing next to somebody that stupid.

Even a monkey is smart enough to use a rock to pound on stuff.

I had a bunch of Chicoms I was defusing. A visiting medic team doctor snivelleed to the team leader that I was scaring him.

Team leader suggested I do it out on the airstrip if I had to.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Sergeant First Class

Very funny post. I have only used live hand grenades during training and obviously its not to be used in that regard.

In combat, I was given grenades for my grenade launcher on my M-16 (Yes, I still had one until my PS got us the M-4s we needed in mid-tour. The only thing I carried were flash bangs but no they are not supposed to be used like that.

Did you ever see the pictures of the soldiers playing with found live ordnance and then killed themselves or the marines that put the blasting cap in his mouth and blew his face. His face came off but he was still alive. Gross stuff.

Handle all weapons with respect and care. They supposed to keep you alive!!