armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Recruit

Default BAH questions

Hi, I have just enlisted and I have some questions about BAH, I've read practically this entire forum, but none of the answers here quite fit my exact situation. My recruiter seems pretty clueless about this too. I am married with 2 children.

1. Do I recieve BAH or Separation pay while at bct and ait(6 weeks)?

2. My wife and children will probably not be moving to my duty post. Do I get bah or separation pay if I live on base? Would I be better off getting an apartment near my post?

3. How does #2 change when I get divorced? I won't start the process until after ait.

4 Finally, what if I am lucky enough to be stationed overseas? Will that affect any allowances?

Thanks for your time.

George

Old 04-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Sergeant

1-Yes and Yes, you will recieve BAH based on your wifes address

2-Once you have your first post you'll either be given on base housing or bah to live off base if theres no housing, its not a choice. one or the other and they decide. So if your familly doesnt come to post, then their on their own. You wont get BAH or seperation pay for them.

3-Hopefully someone can chime in, im not sure because of the kids. If you didnt have kids BAH would cease and you would go to living in the barracks.

4-Pretty much works the same as being home. thou i beleive there is a bonus for living overseas.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist View Post
Hi, I have just enlisted and I have some questions about BAH, I've read practically this entire forum, but none of the answers here quite fit my exact situation. My recruiter seems pretty clueless about this too. I am married with 2 children.

1. Do I recieve BAH or Separation pay while at bct and ait(6 weeks)? Yes you receive BAH based on your family's location. Separation pay kicks in when you have been gone over 30 days.

2. My wife and children will probably not be moving to my duty post. Do I get bah or separation pay if I live on base? Would I be better off getting an apartment near my post?

Since you are married and will be drawing BAH, you will not be authorized to live on post in the barracks. You could technically sign for housing even if your family isn't with you but you lose your BAH. If you live off post, you draw your BAH but you do not get extra to support two households in two locations. You also will not receive separation pay since you will be choosing to be separated. You will recieve BAH for your duty station at this point and not the location of your family.

3. How does #2 change when I get divorced? I won't start the process until after ait. The courts will decide what you are obligated to pay to your family and your kids. Until you are divorced, most courts require you to give them your BAH since you receive it for your dependents.

4 Finally, what if I am lucky enough to be stationed overseas? Will that affect any allowances? You will continue to receive housing in some fashion, whether it's government housing or the allowance itself. Some duty stations overseas also receive a Cost of Living Allowance.

Thanks for your time.

George
Good luck, hope this helped some.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Recruit

Default thanks!

Thank you both for the responses, they were very helpful!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Corporal

hope the below helps.....

[url]http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/pay/bah/02_types.html[/url]

BAH-Diff

BAH-DIFF is the housing allowance amount for a member who is assigned to single-type quarters and who is authorized a basic allowance for housing solely by reason of the member's payment of child support. A member is not entitled to BAH-DIFF if the monthly rate of that child support is less than the BAH-DIFF. BAH-DIFF is determined by the SECDEF and was equal to the difference between BAH-II with dependents and BAH-II without dependents in 1997 for the member's grade. BAH-Diff is published annually and is determined by increasing the previous year's table by the percentage growth of the military pay raise. For more information contact your finance office or consult Section 260416, Chapter 26 FMR.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Corporal

. Do I recieve BAH or Separation pay while at bct and ait(6 weeks)? Yes you receive BAH based on your family's location. Separation pay kicks in when you have been gone over 30 days.

The above is not true. Pay is pro-rated based on the day you leave. My husband received his separation pay in his first paycheck and he was not gone 30 days. HOWEVER, BAH is tricky. My husband is USAR and we received 604.50 for the first month of BAH, then we received our zip code's BAH afterwards. I am not certain how active duty military applies in this case, but I do know it took me forever to figure out this on my own. As for your remaining questions, I cannot answer them. I am sorry to hear you are going to be going through a divorce, though!

Separation pay should be $250 as long as you are more than 50 miles from your home address.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach2heaven1108 View Post
. Do I recieve BAH or Separation pay while at bct and ait(6 weeks)? Yes you receive BAH based on your family's location. Separation pay kicks in when you have been gone over 30 days.

The above is not true. Pay is pro-rated based on the day you leave. My husband received his separation pay in his first paycheck and he was not gone 30 days. HOWEVER, BAH is tricky. My husband is USAR and we received 604.50 for the first month of BAH, then we received our zip code's BAH afterwards. I am not certain how active duty military applies in this case, but I do know it took me forever to figure out this on my own. As for your remaining questions, I cannot answer them. I am sorry to hear you are going to be going through a divorce, though!

Separation pay should be $250 as long as you are more than 50 miles from your home address.
Actually the regulation for separation pay is based on the Soldier being gone over 30 days, why your husband received it on his first paycheck I don't know but it doesn't usually kick in until the Soldier is gone 30 days, that is the rule.

BAH for the reserve components is very different and you guys receive BAH II until your Soldier is gone for over 30 days when full active duty benefits kick in.