armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Private

I'm starting to get the feeling that Basic Training is training for the families, as well as the recruits.
I guess they're trying to make us stronger and less dependent on contact, whether the recruit is a husband or a son, so that we can handle deployments etc without going haywire and crippling the army entirely.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried_Mom View Post
I'm starting to get the feeling that Basic Training is training for the families, as well as the recruits.
I guess they're trying to make us stronger and less dependent on contact, whether the recruit is a husband or a son, so that we can handle deployments etc without going haywire and crippling the army entirely.
I don't agree, B and C companies got calls on Valentine's Weekend. E did not.
Soldiers on deployment get use of internet, email, webcams. It's not like its the 1950's.

I am very tired of the "making us stronger" jargon.
There is no making a 5 year old daddy's girl stronger by eliminating communication with her daddy.
Crippling the army???? what is that about. We are talking about phone call.

Yes I am complaining I do not think that BCT is prepared for National Guard service men and women who have families. I mean a wife, children, ... social responsibilities shall we say. I think that they have the mentallity of making boys into soldiers. But are not prepared for MEN and WOMEN who want to help service our states and our fine county. Family makes a commitment and then.... during BCT (which they sell as 9 weeks... that was BS)...
Maybe FRG might be better. Maybe after BCT, then the pervading atmosphere of lack of respect for the family institution will magically disappear.

Last edited by bekamcclung; 02-28-2009 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Corporal

i know it's been tough, but i know the soldiers have had a rough go at it. there's been four suicide attempts [one being 18] and one soldier getting arrested for going AWOL. if you want some information about military wife life, pick up a book called "Married to the Military" by Meredith Leyva. In one of the first five chapters, it states that basic training owns your man until graduation day which is a thousand percent true. also it says that it is a bit of a shock entering military life but just keep encouraging your man until he graduates. just know that thousands of soldiers and their families have gone through this before us and they did it just fine.

yeah, i also think it's crap that if one person screws up, the whole company is punished, but that's just the army. you either all do it right or all do it wrong. in all honesty, this does make you stronger. just think if they get deployed and you don't get to see them for over a year. yes, deployed soldiers do get more luxuries but they went through basic as well. basic hasn't really changed. actually today, it's alot easier. they don't get hit, they get their cell phones if they're lucky...

i know it gets frustrating. the army really does give a s*** believe it or not. you can call them if you're dissatisfied but you probably won't get a very satisfying answer. you have to look at both sides of this, yours and theirs. how much do you think it sucks for them being in BCT with hundreds of other soldiers away from their families? they would love nothing more than to leave there, i'm sure but i'm sure if you asked alot of soldiers there, they would say that they're doing this first and foremost for their country and secondly because they're making their family proud. i absolutely HATED the idea of the army when my boyfriend first dropped the bomb but now i fully embrace it after tons of research and a few talks with the recruiter.

just keep your soldiers hopes up, they really appreciate everyone they love standing behind them. and as frustrating as it gets, it'll all be worth it.

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Corporal

Default Fyi

My husband got to call today, and while I am a teacher a did not have access to answer my cell phone during school hours. He left messages that our daughters can listen to every day for the next 24 days.
Still not sure if Big Brother's ends justifies the means. And I called the recruiting office and complained about transperancy in marketing and the importance of making sure families like my husband and I really understand the process. Because quite frankly we did not. I criticized the Ft. Jackson website for suggesting 21days without a call and then usually calls on Sunday. Which I got 1 call after 14 days and then no calls until today, 1 month later.
I still question the process if jeepchick is correct about 4 attempted suicide cases in 2-60th, and national reports suggest 20 successful military suicides nationwide in the month of January.
We as the family have muster support for ourselves, our children, and most importantly for the fragile psyche of our soldiers.

Last edited by bekamcclung; 02-23-2009 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Corporal

i think the suicide attempts are just because it's so overwhelming. alot of people signing up don't have a full understanding of what they're getting into and if you've seen the movie full metal jacket the boot camp half of the movie is really sad. boot camp is basically the absolute worst they can face i think; they're sleep deprived and worked to the bone and just insanely pushed to the limit. that's good that your husband got to call, even if you didn't get to answer it just a little less than a month, hang in there! it'll fly by

mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Sergeant

Hi everyone! It looks like everyone here will have their hubbies or sons graduate on the 20th of next month. My husband will be graduating on the same day too. He's in company F. I feel the same like everyone. It's so tough for us at home especially with young kids. I was lucky enough to get a call from my husband Sunday too. It was heartbreaking to hear my 4yr old son say "my heart is jumping up and down" when he talked to his dad. We hadn't heard from him in 3 weeks too. And I don't know about you ladies, but when I talk to my husband on the phone it's almost like he's a different person. He lacks emotion. I hate that! But when I get his letters it's a different story. But I would have to agree, it seems as if they are training us as well. I didn't expect this to be so tough. But as tough as it is for us out here, I'm sure it's much tougher for them. My husband also mentioned that someone tried to commit suicide the first few weeks he was there. It's a lot of pressure for them. Thankfully this is almost over.

Anybody have any luck seeing their son's or hubbies individual company photo gallery on the ft. Jackson website? I can't for some reason. I don't know if it's my computer or the website. I can see the regular photo gallery, but not the individual company's. I'm also having trouble viewing the videos. Anyone having the same problems?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Private First Class

Default Graduation day/plans . . .

Just wondering if anyone else in here will be staying at the Wingate by Wyndham on Two Notch Road for Graduation on the 18th - 20th???

If so and you will be there on the eve of the 18th, would you be interested in getting together for dinner? I understand there are several good resturants within walking distance of the hotel.

Interested? send me a private PM!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Recruit

Jeep I want to thank you for posting your views, even though I grew up an army brat I had some reservations when my husband announced to me he was enlisting.I have always been supportive of anything my husband wanted to do in the past and I want to be supportive now also. It was nice to hear a few words of encouragement. I know it is very hard to be without someone you are used to being there everyday. Not only does your soildier have to be strong but his family has to be strong during this time also

Old 02-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Private

I posted this in Basic but I'll post it here too

My son went to Ft. Jackson for Basic..(he was in the 1-13th Bravo Co) there was a week from the time he arrived to the time he actually began bootcamp. I heard from him while he was on the bus from the airport (short ride, maybe half hour) then for a couple minuted during the week.

I missed some of his calls because of his shift and mine, but still got his voice mail. Loved getting sporatic mail & phone calls in between. They were busy, he was never down. He viewed it as really hard summer camp. He learned a lot and came out of it with the same amazing point of view that he did going in. I know Moms who called and wanted to find out why they hadn't heard from their sons.. its bootcamp!! They're men (and women) doing military stuff. As hard as it might be to think your son or daughter is going into the Army, its a proud choice.

For every letter my son received, he did 50 push ups.. I was furious to hear it at first, but my ex husb was a Company Commander at Great Lakes, I remember how hard he was on those kids.. it wasn't any different. My son said that it was worth every push up to get a letter. They help.. even when they go into the field they love mail. My son's platoon was not allowed sweets, they approved hygeine products (Fort Jackson has a great website with a list of approved items you can send). They were not allowed cell phones, though not all of the Drill Sgts had this rule. The idea is that they need them to work together on the same plane and they aren't children anymore. They will always be your babies, but they also need to have their heads in the right place for focus on the bigger picture. If you look at Ft. Jackson's website, they have a run down of everything they do at bootcamp. Its hard, they get random sleep, but they are also being trained to protect & serve.

Graduation was wonderful, though rainy rainy rainy. lol Ours was indoors. My son came out standing taller, stronger and even more determined. I couldn't be more proud.

After bootcamp, he went to Ft. Sill for AIT, completed it and just last week left here for Camp Casey for his first duty station.

Btw.. We stayed at The Whitney Hotel.. LOVED IT.. very nice people and just 10 minutes from the base with traffic. The room we stayed in had two bedrooms two private baths, full kitchen, living room & washer & dryer in the room. I believe they used to be apartments, I would definitely stay there again.

Last edited by SoCa Army Mom; 02-27-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Corporal

hello everybody, just wondering since graduation is coming up, are you getting your soldier a present? i'm debating over what to get my boyfriend or even if i should get him anything because i don't know what he'll be allowed to have in AIT. just a thought since there's only 17 days until family day!

mud, sweat, and gears.

PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!