armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Yes, Torps is right, we use the Styer AUG as our main assault rifle..... Its a modified version, factory model have it on full auto only. Our Army Engineers installed an ELO in the trigger, which allows for single shot use aswell, better for firefights, and very easy to switch to auto in the blink of an eye. Its hte best assault rifle I ever used..... a real reliable piece of kit...

For our Regular work when I was there, we used the GPMG 7.62 Fire Support Weapon, Vickers .5 inch Heavy Machine Gun, Browning Automatic Pistol (BAP). Oh we use the A84mm Gustav which was being phased out by the Milan when I left. Talk of the LAW being bought aswell?... dunno where that went... We would have used alot of the field weapons in Lebannon (IrishBatt, UNIFIL), when we were there. Your colleagues who worked alongside us would know the above...
The Styer AUG is a very reliable and accurate rifle. I have shot it (a semi automatic version) however I have found it to be uncomfortable in the sense of where the magazine goes. It takes some getting used to. I'm glad your engineers modified it into semi auto as well. I can only imagine that a rifle that is purely fully automatic is mostly useless. Organized units don't pray and spray lol. Semi automatic has many uses. Infact most of my friends that have been to Iraq and Afgan have said they used their weapons in semi auto more than any other mode (auto, 3 round burst).

Quote:
Browning Automatic Pistol (BAP)
Thats the Browning Hi Power isn't it? Hell of a design!!!

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - Gen William T. Sherman

Last edited by onep0int; 10-18-2006 at 01:09 AM..

Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Yes, Torps is right, we use the Styer AUG as our main assault rifle..... Its a modified version, factory model have it on full auto only. Our Army Engineers installed an ELO in the trigger, which allows for single shot use aswell, better for firefights, and very easy to switch to auto in the blink of an eye. Its hte best assault rifle I ever used..... a real reliable piece of kit...

For our Regular work when I was there, we used the GPMG 7.62 Fire Support Weapon, Vickers .5 inch Heavy Machine Gun, Browning Automatic Pistol (BAP). Oh we use the A84mm Gustav which was being phased out by the Milan when I left. Talk of the LAW being bought aswell?... dunno where that went... We would have used alot of the field weapons in Lebannon (IrishBatt, UNIFIL), when we were there. Your colleagues who worked alongside us would know the above...
So you use British weapons then???.....best for the job aint they!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache7 View Post
while L85A2 is accurate.. (and it has that to thank due to the 4X SUSAT and the bullup desing in general)
it totally sucks in another measures. its nowhere near the capability of the Steyr.
and its nowhere near our RK aither.. the thing is that.. well..
its just bad what ive heared.. granted.. i have not shot one my self but
when its said allaround that the ****ing handle can bruise your arm
and the top cover is badly made and you can actually brake the thing by dropping it...
well thats just very sub standard.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:12 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by onep0int View Post
The Styer AUG is a very reliable and accurate rifle. I have shot it (a semi automatic version) however I have found it to be uncomfortable in the sense of where the magazine goes. It takes some getting used to. I'm glad your engineers modified it into semi auto as well. I can only imagine that a rifle that is purely fully automatic is mostly useless. Organized units don't pray and spray lol. Semi automatic has many uses. Infact most of my friends that have been to Iraq and Afgan have said they used their weapons in semi auto more than any other mode (auto, 3 round burst).

Thats the Browning Hi Power isn't it? Hell of a design!!!

Yea, single shot is so important in fire fight... Its accuracy is great, and reliable too...

The browning we use has the same stopping power as the MP5 upto 30 yards.... Its a good weapon, but has had its day, theres an upgrade going through..... dunno what the replacement weapon will be yet...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache7 View Post
If you are referring to the Vickers .5 Heavy Machine gun, then yes we do and yes, they are very effective as a heavy machine gun, reliable to, not many jams.... The browning is good, but has had its day, dunno what the upgrade will be though....

Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Second Lieutenant

training Famas launcher, oops lol
[url]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xehm6_tirflg[/url]

Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim76 View Post
Haha.... Great one Jimbo.... I remember taking my first shot with a FN many many years ago... I didnt have it tucked into my shoulder and bang feckin rifle butt hit me in the face.... man.. I was like your lad there.... feeling silly and bruised...

Old 10-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Second Lieutenant

Poor guy, a great moment of loneliness for him :s

Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim76 View Post
Nice one Jim.......funny stuff...thats going to sting in the morning