armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #151  
Old 10-18-2006, 01:06 AM
onep0int onep0int is offline
Major
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Yes, Torps is right, we use the Styer AUG as our main assault rifle..... Its a modified version, factory model have it on full auto only. Our Army Engineers installed an ELO in the trigger, which allows for single shot use aswell, better for firefights, and very easy to switch to auto in the blink of an eye. Its hte best assault rifle I ever used..... a real reliable piece of kit...

For our Regular work when I was there, we used the GPMG 7.62 Fire Support Weapon, Vickers .5 inch Heavy Machine Gun, Browning Automatic Pistol (BAP). Oh we use the A84mm Gustav which was being phased out by the Milan when I left. Talk of the LAW being bought aswell?... dunno where that went... We would have used alot of the field weapons in Lebannon (IrishBatt, UNIFIL), when we were there. Your colleagues who worked alongside us would know the above...
The Styer AUG is a very reliable and accurate rifle. I have shot it (a semi automatic version) however I have found it to be uncomfortable in the sense of where the magazine goes. It takes some getting used to. I'm glad your engineers modified it into semi auto as well. I can only imagine that a rifle that is purely fully automatic is mostly useless. Organized units don't pray and spray lol. Semi automatic has many uses. Infact most of my friends that have been to Iraq and Afgan have said they used their weapons in semi auto more than any other mode (auto, 3 round burst).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Browning Automatic Pistol (BAP)
Thats the Browning Hi Power isn't it? Hell of a design!!!
__________________
"We do not negotiate with terrorists, we put them out of business." - Scott McClellan

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - Gen William T. Sherman

Last edited by onep0int; 10-18-2006 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote

  #152  
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Apache7 Apache7 is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Yes, Torps is right, we use the Styer AUG as our main assault rifle..... Its a modified version, factory model have it on full auto only. Our Army Engineers installed an ELO in the trigger, which allows for single shot use aswell, better for firefights, and very easy to switch to auto in the blink of an eye. Its hte best assault rifle I ever used..... a real reliable piece of kit...

For our Regular work when I was there, we used the GPMG 7.62 Fire Support Weapon, Vickers .5 inch Heavy Machine Gun, Browning Automatic Pistol (BAP). Oh we use the A84mm Gustav which was being phased out by the Milan when I left. Talk of the LAW being bought aswell?... dunno where that went... We would have used alot of the field weapons in Lebannon (IrishBatt, UNIFIL), when we were there. Your colleagues who worked alongside us would know the above...
So you use British weapons then???.....best for the job aint they!!!
Reply With Quote

  #153  
Old 10-20-2006, 06:57 PM
torspo[fin]'s Avatar
torspo[fin] torspo[fin] is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache7 View Post
So you use British weapons then???.....best for the job aint they!!!
while L85A2 is accurate.. (and it has that to thank due to the 4X SUSAT and the bullup desing in general)
it totally sucks in another measures. its nowhere near the capability of the Steyr.
and its nowhere near our RK aither.. the thing is that.. well..
its just bad what ive heared.. granted.. i have not shot one my self but
when its said allaround that the ****ing handle can bruise your arm
and the top cover is badly made and you can actually brake the thing by dropping it...
well thats just very sub standard.
Reply With Quote

  #154  
Old 10-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onep0int View Post
The Styer AUG is a very reliable and accurate rifle. I have shot it (a semi automatic version) however I have found it to be uncomfortable in the sense of where the magazine goes. It takes some getting used to. I'm glad your engineers modified it into semi auto as well. I can only imagine that a rifle that is purely fully automatic is mostly useless. Organized units don't pray and spray lol. Semi automatic has many uses. Infact most of my friends that have been to Iraq and Afgan have said they used their weapons in semi auto more than any other mode (auto, 3 round burst).




Thats the Browning Hi Power isn't it? Hell of a design!!!


Yea, single shot is so important in fire fight... Its accuracy is great, and reliable too...

The browning we use has the same stopping power as the MP5 upto 30 yards.... Its a good weapon, but has had its day, theres an upgrade going through..... dunno what the replacement weapon will be yet...
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #155  
Old 10-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache7 View Post
So you use British weapons then???.....best for the job aint they!!!
If you are referring to the Vickers .5 Heavy Machine gun, then yes we do and yes, they are very effective as a heavy machine gun, reliable to, not many jams.... The browning is good, but has had its day, dunno what the upgrade will be though....
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #156  
Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Jim76's Avatar
Jim76 Jim76 is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Versailles, Yvelines
Posts: 610
Default

training Famas launcher, oops lol
[url]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xehm6_tirflg[/url]
__________________
L'avantage d'être intelligent, c'est qu'on peut toujours faire l'imbécile, alors que l'inverse est totalement impossible.
Reply With Quote

  #157  
Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim76 View Post
training Famas launcher, oops lol
[url]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xehm6_tirflg[/url]
Haha.... Great one Jimbo.... I remember taking my first shot with a FN many many years ago... I didnt have it tucked into my shoulder and bang feckin rifle butt hit me in the face.... man.. I was like your lad there.... feeling silly and bruised...
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #158  
Old 10-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Jim76's Avatar
Jim76 Jim76 is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Versailles, Yvelines
Posts: 610
Default

Poor guy, a great moment of loneliness for him :s
__________________
L'avantage d'être intelligent, c'est qu'on peut toujours faire l'imbécile, alors que l'inverse est totalement impossible.
Reply With Quote

  #159  
Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 PM
jrj100's Avatar
jrj100 jrj100 is offline
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 1,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim76 View Post
training Famas launcher, oops lol
[url]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xehm6_tirflg[/url]
Nice one Jim.......funny stuff...thats going to sting in the morning
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.