Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post

WOs are also not given more respect necessarily, just because someone was prior enlisted doesn't mean he's not a POS. Respect is earned through the individual, not the rank. It's easy to toss up a salute to someone and not respect them.
EXACTLY! Thank you. I was thinking the SAME thing.

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptica24 View Post
ok so he was accurate and what he was explaining, ok ya cause he was talking about people who go WO around 8-12 years. ya for the respect thing i understand but it is more likely to be respected for having the back ground instead of trying to tell someone whos been in a couple years by an officer with 0 experience and it makin sense....
No, he wasn't accurate, because they don't make more than someone commissioned with the same amount of experience.

I've met plenty of 2nd LTs that were spot on and great leaders that did not have prior enlisted time. I've also met more than enough worthless WOs that hide away in their own little "specialities" because they're afraid to work. Like I said, it's up to the individual.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
No, he wasn't accurate, because they don't make more than someone commissioned with the same amount of experience.

I've met plenty of 2nd LTs that were spot on and great leaders that did not have prior enlisted time. I've also met more than enough worthless WOs that hide away in their own little "specialities" because they're afraid to work. Like I said, it's up to the individual.

no no i meant about , bah accurate on the point that enlisted to wos tend to make money for a bit. right its up to individual i didnt say all.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Brigadier General

Tacky,

Do you detect the sounds of banjos & inbreeding here? There's a certain aroma.

The originator of this thread is still left hanging with all his questions about the Army. By now he's probably joined the Air Force.

Sometimes original honest questions can get so far off track that the bus doesn't stop here anymore!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Tacky,

The originator of this thread is still left hanging with all his questions about the Army. By now he's probably joined the Air Force.

Sometimes original honest questions can get so far off track that the bus doesn't stop here anymore!
I hate to laugh... but you all are so funny... And the AF comment was flipping hilarious!

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Tacky,

seriously that is pretty rude hun. i am not callin people names or insulting them. why you have to do that to me and im far from inbred. i....yet again....

what is the age restriction on joining.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Private

Quote:
Tacky,

Fear not, MSG Glenn, your bonus is still in play. I'll look into rotary wing school as that's far more interesting to me than fixed wing. Lots of research needed there though.

Also looked into option 40 and spent a lot of time on the ranger boards. Sounds brutal. RIP school, yea that's to be expected. What I find amazing is those guys describing 90+ percent washout after a year in the 75th even after these guys killed themselves to get in. RIP school, they say, is a joke compared to the regular op tempo in their units. Seems silly to wash out such fine, expensive, warriors. Still interested though.

As to the thread hijacker, you have to understand that military boards are a no BS zone. These guys get "A friend of mine said that..." or "I overheard that..." crap all through their service lives. Its the rumor mill, its invariably wrong, and its a destructive waste of time and mental energy. I happen to think they have treated you quite fairly compared to what you would get in a lot of other places on the net. A quote from a song that has stuck with me since my teen years:

"I take everything slow
go with the flow
And shut my mother****in' mouth
if I don't know"

I apologize in advance if I'm stepping out of line trying to explain to her why these types of comments are not helpful.

Thanks again to all respondents, this is looking more like a go with each passing day.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Sergeant First Class

a section of that was verbadum so it wasnt hearsay. he was speakingi was typing. eh o well. bs is everywhere no one can get away from it. no use trying.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskmonkey View Post

Also looked into option 40 and spent a lot of time on the ranger boards. Sounds brutal. RIP school, yea that's to be expected. What I find amazing is those guys describing 90+ percent washout after a year in the 75th even after these guys killed themselves to get in. RIP school, they say, is a joke compared to the regular op tempo in their units. Seems silly to wash out such fine, expensive, warriors. Still interested though.
If you make it through RIP you'll more than likely do okay in Battalion. What happens to some guys is they get sent to Ranger School (62 days of torment)after about a year in Batt. & wash out. Many will stay with Battalion after that but they won't get into a leadership position without a Ranger Tab on their shoulder. My son had a soldier in his team that wrecked his knees & couldn't pass the Ranger School PT test. He just got out of the Army a few months ago. No Tab, had to wear PFC stripes even though he was a SPC. Didn't mind a bit. He was a great guy & an asset to his battalion & could run forever with a full load but just not fast enough.

Give it some thought.

The Army also needs helicopter pilots. Hopefully Nightflyer gets on this thread & gives you the lowdown on that. You also have to qualify for a Warrant Officer position. The helicopter school is also a WOC (Warrant Officer Candidate) School. **A WOC is something you thwo at wabbits**

Keep researching & let us know what you come up with.
Keep doing the PT!!
MSG Glenn
Retired MSG

Old 10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptica24 View Post
seriously that is pretty rude hun. i am not callin people names or insulting them. why you have to do that to me and im far from inbred. i....yet again....

what is the age restriction on joining.
I wasn't referring to you specifically but the off-topic posts in general.
But what the hell - I'm a Master Sergeant & I'm SUPPOSED to be rude! goes with the stripes. You should have known me when I was a First Sergeant!!

Right now the Army is enlisting soldiers up to age 42. I believe they have to have all their training in before age 43 so joining at 42 years & 9 months is a no-go.
I don't know what the Army will do about retirement as they won't be able to get their 20 in before age 60. I think they would give them a lump sum package at age 60 instead of a monthly retirement check.

Our everlasting gratitude for your husband's service! And yours too. You're just as much a part of the Army as any soldier.

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG