armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Recruit

Default A number of questions, perhaps someone can help.

Okay, here goes.
I've been interested in the military for some time now but here is my thing: I sincerely plan on going to med school, but I would still like to join the guard. Because of my plans on moving on to med school i would obviously like to seek some type of medical job out of the guard, currently I am a certified EMT, but hold no other form of medical training, is there a medical job I could get with such limited experience? It seems as though all the medic positions are sketchy on requirements. My second dilema is that I want to go to med school, and I am half way through college already, if they were to pull me in to active duty that would kind of screw up my whole agenda on getting in to med school. (for those of you who dont know, if they take me out of school a semester, ill miss the classes i need to take, and get set back nearly a year to take the courses required by my major, thus delaying everything. I guess ultimately, I'd like to serve, but while I am attending school have some kind of free pass where perhaps I could only get called to duty over the summertime, or to be ensured while im in med school that I couldnt get ganked out (med schools are competitive, and giving up 6 months will hurt a student alot).
I guess rethinking this its kind of asking the impossible, but I didnt want to sit down with a recruiter and talk things over because I feel like they are used car salesmen...

--Dan

Old 03-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

All you need is a brain to become a medic in the military. If your ASVAB score is high enough, you can sign a contract for the MOS. If you are already an EMT, you would be ahead of the game.

As for your priorities, I suggest waiting until you've finished med school to join. If you join now, you can be called up, and you will be required to do your duty and serve your country as you signed to do.

Wait and join as a Medical Officer when you've finished school.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Recruit

I don't know entirely how ROTC works, but do you have any thoughts on that. Im going to be starting my 3rd year of college come fall, and i think i read about a 2 year accelerated thing, but.... would it at all be applicable in my situation.