armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Staff Sergeant

Default Who was the greatest war leader in History?

Well for me it has to be Winston,being a Brit an all.If it wasnt for him my name would probably be 'Geirhardt'.
...and that just doesnt go with 'Warrior'

Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Colonel

If Rommel is an acceptable answer, then I would say Rommel.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Private First Class

Hitler was misguided as hell and not exactly the best general but got a country to back him into doing all kinds of crazy **** he was a great leader just very wrong...

Old 09-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to arctcfightr

i would have to say ghengis kahn

Old 09-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Private First Class

Genghis Khan or Rommel Or Frederik Barborossa

Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Major General

Churchill is the obvious modern day leader. Going back in history I would say Henry the 5th of England who defeated the French at Aigincourt .Not many leaders actually fight in battle ,but he did !

Old 09-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to arctcfightr

Who was the greatest war leader in History?....yea we can argue all day about that but........................ Who was the greatest war leader in History,with the best empire/nation, i mean you can havea great war leader but some of there empire's,nation fell apart fast

Old 09-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Sergeant

it really depends on the time period but the 2 that i liked were rommel and alexander the GREAT. i mean the guy beat an army that was like a 100 times bigger than him, that has to be a pretty big acomplishment

Old 09-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackAttack23693
it really depends on the time period but the 2 that i liked were rommel and alexander the GREAT. i mean the guy beat an army that was like a 100 times bigger than him, that has to be a pretty big acomplishment
Yes i agree, Alexander the great is probably the the one we're looking for, nobody has ever beaten those odds.

King Richard Coer de lyon (Lion Heart) is another one of my personal favourites,but i dont think he ever managed to complete his objective.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Colonel

Suvorov Early life and career
Suvorov was born in Moscow into a noble family of Novgorod descent. He entered the army as a boy, served against the Swedes in Finland and against the Prussians during the Seven Years' War (1756 - 1763). After repeatedly distinguishing himself in battle he became a colonel in 1762.

Suvorov next served in Poland during the Confederation of Bar, dispersed the Polish forces under Pułaski, stormed Kraków (1768) and reached the rank of major-general. The Russo-Turkish War of 1768–1774 saw his first campaigns against the Turks in 1773–1774, and particularly in the battle of Kozludji in the latter year, he laid the foundations of his reputation.

In 1775, Suvorov was dispatched to suppress the rebellion of Pugachev but arrived at the scene only in time to conduct the first interrogation of the rebel leader who had been betrayed by his fellow Cossacks and later on suffered decapitation in Moscow.

Scourge of the Poles and the Turks
From 1777 to 1783 Suvorov served in the Crimea and in the Caucasus, becoming a lieutenant-general in 1780, and general of infantry in 1783, on the conclusion of his work there. From 1787 to 1791 he again fought the Turks during the Russo-Turkish War of 1787–1792 and won many victories; he was wounded twice at Kinburn (1787), took part in the siege of Ochakov, and in 1788 won two great victories at Focsani and by the river Rimnik.

In both these battles an Austrian corps under Prince Josias of Saxe-Coburg participated but at Rimnik Suvorov was in command of the whole allied forces. For the latter victory Catherine II the Great made Suvorov a count with the name "Rimniksky" in addition to his own name, and the Emperor Joseph II created him a count of the Holy Roman Empire. On 22 December 1790 Suvorov stormed the reputedly impenetrable fortress of Ismail in Bessarabia. Turkish forces inside the fortress had the orders to stand their ground to the end and haughtily declined Russian ultimatum. The defeat was seen as a major catastrophe in the Ottoman empire, but in Russia it was glorified in the first national anthem, Let the thunder of victory sound!

Immediately after the peace with Turkey was signed, Suvorov was again transferred to Poland, where he assumed the command of one of the corps and took part in the Battle of Maciejowice, in which he captured the Polish commander-in-chief Tadeusz Kościuszko. On November 4, 1794, Suvorov's forces stormed Warsaw and captured Praga, one of its boroughs. The alleged massacre of many civilians in Praga broke the spirits of the defenders and soon put an end to the Kościuszko Uprising.

Exiled Suvorov receiving the Emperor's order to lead the Russian army against Napoleon.It is said that the Russian commander sent a report to his sovereign consisting of only three words: hurrah from Warsaw, Suvorov. The Empress of Russia replied equally briefly: Congratulations, Field Marshal. Catherine. The newly-appointed field marshal remained in Poland until 1795, when he returned to Saint Petersburg. But his sovereign and friend Catherine died in 1796, and her successor Paul dismissed the veteran in disgrace.

Poor guy. Just goes to show, that's it's who ya' know I guess.