armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbushido View Post
Do you think it will possible to leave with 11X in late August or at the very latest October?
That's questionable. Many Combat Arms OSUT slots fill up fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbushido View Post
*Edit
one last thing how difficult will changing my contract be ? Will it be a lot of paper work for my recruiters ? Will it take forever at MEPS to get it done ? Lastly how pissed will my recruiter be ?
Yes to all of the above. As busy as Recruiters are these days they don't want to be bothered. They can make their quota with the easy enlistments.

Let's hope that you have a good-natured Recruiter. Remember - You're the boss. Maybe all that extra work that he has to go through will teach him to get the prospective recruit the contract he wants the first time. All they have to say is "there are no openings for that enlistment option at this time. Would you like to try someting else or would you rather wait?"
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Sergeant First Class

I'll trade you I tried to get 19k but it wasn't there when I picked my job so I chose 88m.What kinda bonus did you get.I also heard that 19k is a star mos right now not alot of people signing up for it.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty32 View Post
I'll trade you I tried to get 19k but it wasn't there when I picked my job so I chose 88m.What kinda bonus did you get.I also heard that 19k is a star mos right now not alot of people signing up for it.
I got $8,000 dollars the GI bill plus the Army college fund. And whats 88M?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 AM
Private

So how dose this work? Do i just go back to MEPS and sign a new contract for the job I want? Or do I have to cancel my old contract and sign a new one? And my recruiter really hates his job so I don't know how this is going to go over he's cool but I can tell he was assigned to to recruiting it wasn't his choice. Sorry if I ask a lot of questions but the whole enlistment process is so complicated! The day I signed my contract I was exhausted from jumping through hoops and doing the same thing twice it was hard to tell what I wanted when I actually got to sign my contract. The councilor told me he could get me a better contract if I canceled the job a reserved and I got suckered into 19K with bonuses. If I could do it over again I wouldn't have said yes to the new job. But at this point all want is 11X hopefully I can volunteer for airborne after training.

Last edited by lwbushido; 05-11-2009 at 03:46 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Staff Sergeant

if your recruiter doesn't want to work with you ask to speak to the sgt in charge of the recruiting station politely and discuss your problem with him also politely just make sure you don't go straight to him the recruiters like to know what's going on too. you will have to cancel your contract if the job you want is not open. if it is then they can make changes to your contract or draw up a new one or so ive heard. just be polite trust me sgts don't want to deal with pissed recruits ive seen it at drill

Old 05-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Brigadier General

Your Recruiter has to initiate paperwork to let you be a DEP voluntary drop. You have to go to MEPS to process out & you'll be treated like schit as a quitter. Then you start the recruitment process all over again. Your ASVAB & physical will still be valid, though.

Then it's a waiting game until the MOS & contract you want open up again. That usually means several trips to MEPS sitting down with the counselor & him checking his computer for openings. I understand that Recruiters have computers that can access the MOS list so maybe things have changed a bit.

It's best to start the drop process as soon as possible so that they can fill your slot at BCT or OSUT.
Retired MSG

Old 05-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Private

So I have to get out then get in again to get what I want ? You got to love government efficiency! Thank you, all of you have been a big help. And yes Sgt. Glenn the recruiter can look up job availability from the station. I was hoping that there was going to be a more efficient and quicker way of doing this.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 AM
First Sergeant

Personally, I don't think 19K is a bad MOS.
The upsides, you will never walk anywhere, there will be a place to sleep, you will be protected by armor and I think driving an M1 is an absolute blast.
Down side, you will never go Airborne as a 19K as tanks don't fall from the sky to well. Past that, I can't really think of much else being bad. It's been my experience that Armor units are pretty nice places to be.
You have to know whats right for you. If you live in Columbus, it might be worth the drive down and check out Knox.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Brigadier General

There might be a better way. Your Recruiter will probably be able to guide you unless he's pi$$ed off & wants to stick it to you.

I can only relate to my son's situation when he changed his contract from 19D to 11X Option 40. The original contract was predicated on a lie & I caught them at it. His Recruiter was highly pi$$ed & wouldn't even give him his E2 for taking DEP classes & a PT test. My son didn't care about that as long as he could try to get in the 75th Ranger Regt. He made SGT well before his time so that didn't affect his future promotions. It was a shame because he had trained so hard before he started the enlistment process that he aced the PT test.
Retired MSG