armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Private

Default New Mom of Soldier

My son shipped out last Thursday for Fort Lenard Wood, I have questions and cannot seem to find answers on any of the Army web sites. Is there a chat room here? Anyone available to ask questions to? please reply Is there a web site that tells you exactly what they are working on in any given week? How similar to Marine boot is Army boot? He chose as his AIT Combat Engineer.......what the heck is that? Describe duties? How do I send mail to him if he has not been assigned yet? The group he left with has been in holding over the weekend and he said probably will not process until today. Would that have anything to do with the meningitis scare there? Can he get mail yet?

Last edited by pinkdiamond; 02-24-2009 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Sergeant

Hello, Sorry i cant answer about what they do week from week or how similar it is to marine boot camp, army is actually basic training as far as the letters its my understanding(haven't attended yet either) that once he's processed and everything he'll be told to send a letter home containing a mailing address for him, so you just have to wait for that to come before you can write. heres a page about what happens during basic and AIT its not a schedule but give you a rough idea of what your soon will be doing [url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/blartraining.htm[/url]

as for his MOS heres a page about 21B-combat engineer
[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/21b.htm[/url]

hope that helps a little

Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Recruit

Just do a search for MOS 21b. You should find all the information you need about it.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdiamond View Post
My son shipped out last Thursday for Fort Lenard Wood, I have questions and cannot seem to find answers on any of the Army web sites. Is there a chat room here? Anyone available to ask questions to? please reply Is there a web site that tells you exactly what they are working on in any given week? How similar to Marine boot is Army boot? He chose as his AIT Combat Engineer.......what the heck is that? Describe duties? How do I send mail to him if he has not been assigned yet? The group he left with has been in holding over the weekend and he said probably will not process until today. Would that have anything to do with the meningitis scare there? Can he get mail yet?
You can go to the [url]www.goarmy.com[/url] website and it will break down the different phases of basic training for you.

Once your son gets to his actual basic training unit, he will send you a letter with his address. Don't send him mail because it ill be a paper chase without a correct address.

He is in reception battalion getting in processed into Fort Leonard Wood. He will be there for a few days to a couple weeks getting all the things he needs squared away like paperwork and medical before going off to his basic training unit.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Private

Angry how the Army works?

ok, got the address to write to my son in MO so he has been there two full weeks - he left on the 19 of February. I have a little problem and just wondering if anyone here has previous experience with this. My son decided to get married at the courthouse the day before he shipped! ???? anyway, the notifications of his arrival and assignment go to his new wife. I have many concerns about this on so many different levels! He has been assigned and I have that address, but I feel like I am the last to know anything about his life there. I have not received a letter, and do not know if there is a graduation date set yet? How much time do they have in the evenings to write? Am I expecting too much too soon, to get a letter yet since he is in boot and just finishing first real week of training? What kind of stats are there on these types of marriages? This will be a long road! it has just begun.........just feeling like they have NO idea what they got into here!

Last edited by pinkdiamond; 03-06-2009 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: this is a new post

Old 03-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdiamond View Post
ok, got the address to write to my son in MO so he has been there two full weeks - he left on the 19 of February. I have a little problem and just wondering if anyone here has previous experience with this. My son decided to get married at the courthouse the day before he shipped! ???? anyway, the notifications of his arrival and assignment go to his new wife. I have many concerns about this on so many different levels! He has been assigned and I have that address, but I feel like I am the last to know anything about his life there. I have not received a letter, and do not know if there is a graduation date set yet? How much time do they have in the evenings to write? Am I expecting too much too soon, to get a letter yet since he is in boot and just finishing first real week of training? What kind of stats are there on these types of marriages? This will be a long road! it has just begun.........just feeling like they have NO idea what they got into here!
Hi,

I understand your feelings. It's been two years since my son left for basic but I remember all the questions. First I would say that since you have his address, write to him. He will appreciate it. My son did basic at Ft Benning and he said they had about an hour every night before lights out to write letters and the like. I got a letter almost every day, once the mail started to flow, sometimes I got two. At first he was really tired, and really homesick, but that eased up after the first couple of weeks and then his letters were much more positive. Mail is slow. I received a letter from his leadership telling me when graduation was. There was also a website for each unit in training at Ft Benning that had fairly up to date informtaion and even some pictures of their training. Talk nice to his wife maybe she will share her information.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Private

Red face

Pink, Goodness I understand your frustration. My son too is at FLW as a Combat Engineer. He did not get married, but he has made sure that we know what he wants us to know when he wants us to know it. We have yet to receive letters with dates, but we do hear from him quite a bit. We get all of our information from him. I would love to chat with you about what you are going through. My son graduated from BCT this past weekend. We did not even know. He only wants us to come to AIT graduation on May 1. If you would like to chat, reply to this and we can exchange email.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Private

Default son

still trying to figure this web site out.....I would love to chat with you......how do we get in touch?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Private

Default ?????

no news - good news huh?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Corporal

Pinkdiamond,

As the wife... it often frustrates his family because they have to rely on me because I get EVERYTHING... and I have to try and remember to give them all the information. I am not sure what your relationship is with your daughter in law, but keep the communication lines open!

However, if you have his address, write to him. It will help him and help you! My husband gets one hour of free time every night and Sundays are usually free days. My husband has a decent drill sergeant who allows calls every Sunday so far. But anyone can mess that privilege up. Remember, in Basic Training, they are a team and what one team member does the others pay for! So... if he lost any privileges it would be personal time and call time. My husband lost 40 minutes of personal time, his whole platoon did, because of one girl!