armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Corporal

Default Can someone explain BAH numbers?

My husband sent some paperwork home and on the paperwork, the lady from BAPS wrote 604.50 as our housing allowance. We live in Sevierville, near Knoxville, and Knoxville was the only place I could find listed in the BAH charts and it said 978.00... I called his recruiter and he said there is no way of telling how they decide the numbers. I am just confused because it appears we got the national housing average instead of the Knoxville area BAH and I am really upset about this because it is a $373 difference and when it comes to bills... well... that's a big difference. I can't budget ANYTHING until I know what his pay his and I have heard I may not see his pay until April 1st... I am extremely frustrated because I don't understand how this works. Does anyone know how they get the BAH numbers and how we can find out his pay broken down into exact numbers?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Bah

BAH (basic allowance housing) is usually calculated by zip code. The Army takes the average of all rent and house payments related to an individuals zip code. It is not based on the individual Soldiers house payment or rent. It is also not based on the city you live in. If you live in a large city but the zip code encompasses a large rural area then it is possible that the BAH will be lower than what you need. BAH is not designed to pay the full amount of your monthly payment. There are some Soldiers that draw more in BAH than they pay in rent and are able to pocket the rest. Is it fair?? probably not but it is the only way the Army can keep it standard across the board. If they did it the other way then every Soldier would buy a 1/2 million dollar home and expect the Army to make the payments.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Sergeant

I was asking my recruiter about this, since my fiancee (will be married when i ship out) will be staying here for a good 6-7 months while im at training i was curious as to what she would get. another recruiter chimed in aswell, the two of them lived less than 5 minutes apart, but different zip codes and each with a wife and one kid, but had almst a 300 difference between the two zip codes. Its my understanding that BAH is a none negotiable thing when it comes to rates. So i think your stuck with what you got.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Corporal

I think what angers me the most is military.com lets you put in your zip code and it gives you what your BAH will be and it said 978.00 and two different recruiters at the MEPS building told me it would be based on the Knoxville area... If they want to go based on zip code, and housing costs in the area... Sevierville's housing costs are actually higher than Knoxville's. it just doesn't make sense to me and I don't think there should be so many websites out there authorized to list BAH charts unless they are listing the exact way it is calculated...

BTW, I know it isn't supposed to pay your mortgage, it is just an allowance... that I actually read and understood... I just don't like the contradiction between what I was told and the actuality of the amount... it's a big contradiction and the BAH charts for 2009 need to be updated...

Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Sergeant

You could try calling meps, and at the very least they should be able to tell you why theres a difference, BAH isnt something a recruiter handles so theres probably not much info he could tell you, all mine knew was how it worked in general and what he and a few of the other guys got from it.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Corporal

Here is the link to the PDTATAC website. Just put in the zip where you will reside. The pay system uses the informaiton provided by the PDTATAC to pay the service members. The zip code is input to the system and that is what shows up in the pay.
[url]http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html[/url]

PDTATAC is the governing body for BAH, COLA and many other items. There is an explanation of how the rates are established on the site.

Also on the site is the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR). It outlines the entitlement to BAH, not the rates. It was moved from the DoDFMR Vol 7a (Pay Manual for Military Pay) a couple of years ago. Here is where you will find your travel entitlements also.

The FAQ's may help you with other questions.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Corporal

I went to the AKO site and the chart there has the 604.50... but when you got to the site in the above post, it allows me to put in my zip and it is 978.00 that comes up... doing some reading... I am going to take a wild guess (because it really is anyone's guess!) that during Basic... we get the housing average instead of our location.