armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Recruit

Default My brother in BCT

My brother left January 12th for Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood.

It has been a serious struggle for him because he was not in good physical shape at all, and because he was sick for the first few weeks he was there.

Things were getting better for him, and his letters were sounding better and better, until I read the one I got from him today.

He informed my dad and I that he had been going through some severe mood swings to the point where his actions were so violent he was "scaring himself" (he did not elaborate further on this so I don't know exactly what his means by this).

He said he went to the psychologist and was diagnosed with clinical depression and is more than likely going to be put on meds. He said this meant either he will come home early on either a general or medical discharge, or will restart basic training and not be home for another four months.

He then said that he had now been classified as a "non-trainer" and that he will "be home soon".

The reason I am posting this is that I am foggy on what all of this means and I need help deciphering what exactly is going on. His original graduation date was supposed to be May 1st, does he still have a chance to make this or is either coming home or starting completely over his only two options?

Joining the Army was the best thing my brother ever did for himself and I don't want to see him fail. I express shipped him a letter telling him how much I want him to succeed and to not give up, along with a picture of the family and some other things, which is supposed to get to him Wednesday. I figured the faster he gets it the better.

But basically all I am asking is for help on understanding this situation further and knowing if there is anything else I could do to help him.

Anything helps. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

BCT is four months? Is he doing OSUT?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Sergeant First Class

if he is a non-trainer he is probably getting a discharge but I am not real sure only he knows and his drill sgt. sucks if he is though

Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Non trainer???

I am not familier with the term "non-trainer" it sounds as though to me that he is done. He may be given the opportunity later to try again depending on his discharge orders. I dont know a single Soldier that didnt have some type of depression while at BCT. It generally is not a fun time in anyones life. Everyone deals with it thier own way and apparently your brother has opted to get his chain of command involved in his depressive state. Every Soldier, when they are going through trying times in BCT are given the opportunity by thier chain of command to nut-up and stay if they want to. If a Dr. has recommended your brother for discharge then he is done forever...no second chances. If he told his Drill Sgt. he wants to quit then he can retract that and keep driving on IF HE WANTS TO!! Sounds to me as though Bro gave up and he wants to come home.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Recruit

Quote:
BCT is four months? Is he doing OSUT?
Sorry but I'm not familiar with that term, does that mean both BCT and AIT combined? If so then yeah that was the plan for him.

Quote:
I am not familier with the term "non-trainer" it sounds as though to me that he is done. He may be given the opportunity later to try again depending on his discharge orders. I dont know a single Soldier that didnt have some type of depression while at BCT. It generally is not a fun time in anyones life. Everyone deals with it thier own way and apparently your brother has opted to get his chain of command involved in his depressive state. Every Soldier, when they are going through trying times in BCT are given the opportunity by thier chain of command to nut-up and stay if they want to. If a Dr. has recommended your brother for discharge then he is done forever...no second chances. If he told his Drill Sgt. he wants to quit then he can retract that and keep driving on IF HE WANTS TO!! Sounds to me as though Bro gave up and he wants to come home.
I guess he had the option though to try again in six months is what his recruiter told me? In my opinion that would be stupid because he also said they are being picky with letting in anybody prior server (is that what its called?) eespecially somebdy with a medical waiver, due to the economy.

Or he can restart basic training right now and not come home? I think that would be his best option. I told him in my letter that I don't think it would be good for him to come home until he has completed training, because he has nothing to come home to. He has no car no job and no way of getting either. One of the reasons he even joined because it was basically army or jail for him. I am afraid he will fall right back into that lifestyle and I feel so helpless because there is nothing I can do but to tell him just to tough it out.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default Tough it out

Your brother is a big boy now and that means HE is going to have to make big boy decisions. I agree with you, if he drops out now he will never be allowed back in. The recruiter is telling you what you want to hear. If he leaves now the Army will NEVER allow him back in. Unfortunatly(sp) he is the only one who can nut-up and drive on. If he quits now he might as well make his reservations at the local jail!!(your words..not mine)
GOOD LUCK

Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Brigadier General

Doc,

Do you see now why I'm constantly harping about being in shape before you even sign the contract? For cryin' out loud -you only need a 50% to pass the APFT in BCT! Just to get to RIP you have to have a 70% & to stay in the Rangers an 80%.

A person who can delay their entry for 365 days has absolutely no excuse to not be able to pass the PT test before they ship for basic.

Shame on his Recruiter for not mentoring him & insuring he could make it through BCT! Do you realize how many young people I've prepared for Army & Marine Corps Basic, my son included & I don't even get paid for that.

Maybe I'll send the Army a bill.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Recruit

I realize that he is grown up now and has to make his won decisions, but as his sister I still feel obligated to look out for him. I don't want to see him **** up his life.

@MSG Glenn - Yes, I wish he and his recruiter had put more effort into preparing him for basic training. I am in the Air Force DEP and don't leave until August, but I started working out two months ago. But he only had about two weeks to prepare, which still ins't an excuse, I just wish he had more time to get ready. Which is essentially my brother's fault, he was orginally joining under 63B, but he wouldn't have left until mid february and he wanted (needed) to leave asap, so instead he reserved 21B so her could leave that following week.

But I'm doing as much as I can to convince him to stick it out, which in my opinion is his only option. I just pray he listens.