armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Private

Is your husband over seas right now? Do you think your children make it easier for you? Do you think it would be harder with out them?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Captain

My husband is currently deployed. Honestly, I don't think I can answer the question about whether it makes it easier or not with or without children since I've always had kids during deployment. I have friend in both circumstances and each come with their own trials for sure. For me personally, my kids keep me busy obviously. But I also keep myself busy.

Each individuals situation is just that, individualized. I suppose it's nice to have my kids around to keep me from being lonely but on the flipside, it's not all about me.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Private

How many times has your husband been deployed? What is you and your husbands communication like..I mean, how often are you able to talk to eachother? Can you only communicate by letters? Or internet and phone as well?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole88 View Post
How many times has your husband been deployed? What is you and your husbands communication like..I mean, how often are you able to talk to eachother? Can you only communicate by letters? Or internet and phone as well?
Combined we have deployed 7 times (I was in the Army too). We talk every 2-3 days via Yahoo Messenger. Each location is different as to what they have available. We are fortunate enough that he has the capability of having internet in his room which we pay a high price for monthly. This option is available to many Soldiers now in Iraq. Afghanistan is a bit limited though, their capabilities are not quite so nice. Even in Iraq though there are areas where access to internet is very limited and they my have to go to an internet cafe where they might have to pay to use it and it has a time limit. As far as phones, again it depends on the area. My husband does not call my very much because of the wait to get on the phone and where it is located. Some people have really great access to phone.

Plus we do write each other letters ALL the time. Nothing feels better then receiving a letter you can hold in your hands and reread.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Private

Where is your husband currently deployed? I know what you mean about the snail mail. I come home on lunch everyday just to check the mail. I write my fiance every single day even if its just a small note. And send them like every other day.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Private

My husband has been in the military for a long time and to me it seems like it was a lot easier and funner when we didn't have kids. I was able to hang out with my girlfriends, sleepovers and all, and started a lot of new interests. The last three deployments have been harder since we have kids. It gets tiring being the sole parent. I don't know how single parents do it at all!

New deployments are back to 12 months. If they have enough leave time they'll be able to take pre and post deployment block leave along with the 12 days of leave in the middle of the deployment.

Whether you join him or not at his permanent duty station, be sure to take some Army Life classes. They are also available online at [url]www.myarmylifetoo.com[/url] under Lifelong Learning (AFTB).