armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Staff Sergeant

Smile Leaving home...

Ok here goes another one of those mother things. My son will be deployed soon. So I just wanted to know is there anything he can't take with him? I know he can't take his Wife.(thought I am sure there are some that would love too!) LOL

But I mean like laptops and phone and things like that. I am hoping that he can take his laptop so it would be easier to stay in touch. We a few family friends over there that have bought stuff over there to bring back, I just wanted to know if they can take it with them.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
General of the Armies

mtmom, Nightflyers cousin is deployed can he took his laptop with him.. so this would indicate he can...

Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

My cousin sends E-mails home but not very often..Once or twice every two weeks.Some soldiers bring lap tops others don't. You may not get to use it much.

..Good luck and a successful deployment...Mission essential equipment only ! Lol.....Let me know if you like a deployment ready list. I have to pack for deployment myself one day soon...Hooah..

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtomom View Post
Ok here goes another one of those mother things. My son will be deployed soon. So I just wanted to know is there anything he can't take with him? I know he can't take his Wife.(thought I am sure there are some that would love too!) LOL

But I mean like laptops and phone and things like that. I am hoping that he can take his laptop so it would be easier to stay in touch. We a few family friends over there that have bought stuff over there to bring back, I just wanted to know if they can take it with them.

Thanks guys!

Hey!

My son took his laptop. Cell phones are of no use, they have call centers they can go to, phone cards work the best. E-mail is our best form of communication though. He also took his DVD's to play on his laptop and his PSP.
Since he's married it probably won't be an issue, but mine "forgot" to let his cell phone provider know he was being deployed. We got it handled but it would have been easier if he had done it before he left! DUH!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Corporal

I know another soldier besides my son who went to the ME and he took his laptop with a camera. When he is allowed and there is wireless in the place he is in, he can talk this way. I don't think he gets to much though.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Brigadier General

Some units (all?) have SatCom phones. My son was able to use his Ranger Company's Sat phone several times a week while deployed for short calls as long as no mention of the Army, his being a soldier, especially nothing said about Rangers or his location was spoken. They had computers & many brought their laptops so e mail was another channel of communication.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.