armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Sergeant First Class

are you kidding me?! 42! jesus lol....most can ritire by then...good grief. loli understand prior service but no service under your belt that is amazing

Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Private

Yea 42 is pretty amazing. But if I can hack it physically then I'd like to think an older guy like me (35) could be an asset to a platoon.

Looked into rotary-wing and it appears to be a no-go for me. Read that 32 is the cutoff, you can get a waiver up to 34 (with under 2% chance of a slot) and beyond that its actually illegal for the Army to register you for school. Dunno if I buy the whole 'illegal' bit (gotta love the internet) - that would restrict the Army in, say, a world war - but it certainly seems that 34 cutoff is a hard number right now.

Be a hell of a job though. Hats off to those guys.

In the civilian world its about 40-70k to get instrument rated and 150 hours commercial license, which is minimum for any non-instructional job generally. For the cushy jobs of EMS, Oil Rig and police work you increasingly need quite a few hours on a turbine aircraft, and a lot of guys are wondering how to get those hours without joining the military or winning the lotto since of course a turbine is a pricey piece of kit to buy and maintain. Good news is that, according to some pilots in the field (I wouldn't trust what a school is saying) the civilian helo manufacturers are generally backordered so there's a lot of new birds coming online, and a lot of the best current pilots served in 'Nam and are getting close to retirement. Obviously theres competition from retired military but they ain't pumping out pilots anywhere near the rate they did in 'Nam.

They also seemed to think that having that commercial license has helped a few of them get a military rotary wing slot, which I can understand.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Sergeant First Class

psh 35 is still young but 42? heh.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskmonkey View Post
Also looked into option 40 and spent a lot of time on the ranger boards. Sounds brutal. RIP school, yea that's to be expected. What I find amazing is those guys describing 90+ percent washout after a year in the 75th even after these guys killed themselves to get in. RIP school, they say, is a joke compared to the regular op tempo in their units. Seems silly to wash out such fine, expensive, warriors. Still interested though..
There's not a 90% washout after a year in the 75th. I wouldn't even put it at 30% .. by then, a guy has already had at least one deployment with his Bn and he's already proven he can hang in the Regt. Majority of the washouts come from RIP, and then you have your occasional idiot that can't meet the integrity standards, behavior, etc.

The only Special Operations Force that has a 90% and up washout rate is Air Force Pararescue.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

33 is the cutoff for flight warrant, I've seen waivers up to 35, but these guys had experience in aviation before and this was 10 years ago. They are a little more strict on that now.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliptica24 View Post
psh 35 is still young but 42? heh.
My hero: [url]http://www.thenatural.tv/[/url]

Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
There's not a 90% washout after a year in the 75th. I wouldn't even put it at 30% .. by then, a guy has already had at least one deployment with his Bn and he's already proven he can hang in the Regt. Majority of the washouts come from RIP, and then you have your occasional idiot that can't meet the integrity standards, behavior, etc.

The only Special Operations Force that has a 90% and up washout rate is Air Force Pararescue.
Thanks to you and MSG Glenn for that clarification. Seemed like bravado to me, glad to see it confirmed. Not that they haven't earned the right.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Brigadier General

RIP can be a ball-buster. In my son's class a mentioned about only a few who didn't graduate. Some were possibly recycled for one reason or another like medical problems. It's really not too hard for those who are prepared mentally & physically. My son found it to be easy but then again he was prepared. I ran his *** off before he even joined the Army along with PUs, SUs & he still did Judo 3 times a week. Guys got through the course with very little preparation other than Infantry OSUT & Airborne School.

His major claim is that RIP seems easier than when he went through. Now that he's an NCO he has to train them up to standards that he claims his RIP class were already up to, especially the running. I suppose each class is a bit different & maybe the school did lower its standards. Of course I really know that evey school I took in the military was harder than the next class going through had it!

Caught me on one of my rare Mon. internet days. Normally I only get on the web on Thurs. & Fri. when I can use the computer in my Security Office.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
His major claim is that RIP seems easier than when he went through. Now that he's an NCO he has to train them up to standards that he claims his RIP class were already up to, especially the running. I suppose each class is a bit different & maybe the school did lower its standards. Of course I really know that evey school I took in the military was harder than the next class going through had it!
It's just a case of "it was harder back when I went through." My RIP and your son's RIP were too completely different animals, because .. "it was harder back when I went through."