armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 PM
General of the Armies

Default Iran building seven new satellites

AFP) — Iran is building seven new satellites, including three for high orbit positions, the communications minister said on Thursday, a week after Iran launched its first satellite amid international concerns.

"Four low-orbit satellites weighing under 100 kilograms are under design and construction," Mohammad Soleymani was quoted as saying by the state broadcaster's website.

The other three will be high orbit spacecraft and all seven are being built by Iranian scientists, he said.

On February 2, Iran sent its first home-built Omid (Hope) satellite into space, carried by a Safir-2 rocket, setting alarm bells ringing among Western powers already at loggerheads with Tehran over its nuclear programme.

Hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the launch of the satellite signalled Tehran's technological achievement and was an attempt to break the Western world's monopoly on science.

The West reacted strongly to the satellite launch, saying the technology could be diverted into developing long-range ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Iran denies seeking atomic weapons, insisting its nuclear and space programmes have peaceful aims.

A top Pentagon official said the satellite launch was "rudimentary" but warned that Iran was on a path to having a long-range missile.

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
AFP) — Iran is building seven new satellites, including three for high orbit positions, the communications minister said on Thursday, a week after Iran launched its first satellite amid international concerns.

"Four low-orbit satellites weighing under 100 kilograms are under design and construction," Mohammad Soleymani was quoted as saying by the state broadcaster's website.

The other three will be high orbit spacecraft and all seven are being built by Iranian scientists, he said.

On February 2, Iran sent its first home-built Omid (Hope) satellite into space, carried by a Safir-2 rocket, setting alarm bells ringing among Western powers already at loggerheads with Tehran over its nuclear programme.

Hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the launch of the satellite signalled Tehran's technological achievement and was an attempt to break the Western world's monopoly on science.

The West reacted strongly to the satellite launch, saying the technology could be diverted into developing long-range ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads.

Iran denies seeking atomic weapons, insisting its nuclear and space programmes have peaceful aims.

A top Pentagon official said the satellite launch was "rudimentary" but warned that Iran was on a path to having a long-range missile.
AND? How is this political????

You think we should have the right to stop other countries building satellites? **** we let the USSR build them...................I don't understand US foreign policey towards Iran, It was ok While the US was screwing them....... The US doesn't seem to like the fact that the Iranians haven't forgotten that little part of history dee daa dee daa

My problem with the US is it doesn't learn anything from history and just reverts back to type.......I mean I seriously doubt the average American has learned anything from IRAQ at all and voted for Obama just because they just didn't quite understand
On our part I'd like to see Blair hung by his balls for being a lying, coniving con merchant.....How the f-ck did that idiot become a middle east peace envoy............oh and recently In January 2008 it was confirmed that Blair would be joining investment bank JPMorgan Chase "in a senior advisory capacity" and that he would advise Zurich Financial Services on climate change. His combined earnings will then reach over £7m a year.
Blair also gives lectures and earns up to US$250,000 for a 90-minutes speech

He belongs in the dock along with W!..........but no you continue finding the boggie man and ignore the whats on your own doorstep!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Brigadier General

Spike,

You're right but when you realize Iran has promised that they would wipe Israel off the face of the map. That alone clues me that we're dealing with an unbalanced dictator. Anyone that comes to her aid can now be attacked with nuclear weapons. Kinda puts a crimp in foreign policy & any possibility of negotiations. Having any country in the west wanting to sit down & talk elevates their position in the eyes of the Islamic nations & they aren't going to honor any treaty anyway. So that would certainly be a waste.

Having a madman that hates the west at least as much as he hates Israel having control over that sort of weaponry is a scary notion.

At least the USSR was scared by the thought they could be annihilated which made her rulers uneasy. Islamists just call a jihad, die a glorious death & collect their virgins. They really don't give a shiite what happens to them or their people. It's all In'shallah.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Spike,

You're right but when you realize Iran has promised that they would wipe Israel off the face of the map. That alone clues me that we're dealing with an unbalanced dictator. Anyone that comes to her aid can now be attacked with nuclear weapons. Kinda puts a crimp in foreign policy & any possibility of negotiations. Having any country in the west wanting to sit down & talk elevates their position in the eyes of the Islamic nations & they aren't going to honor any treaty anyway. So that would certainly be a waste.

Having a madman that hates the west at least as much as he hates Israel having control over that sort of weaponry is a scary notion.

At least the USSR was scared by the thought they could be annihilated which made her rulers uneasy. Islamists just call a jihad, die a glorious death & collect their virgins. They really don't give a shiite what happens to them or their people. It's all In'shallah.
Would we have had an Afghanistan in the condition that allowed the Taliban to come to power if not for Soviet and Western interference, highly doubtful! Would we have had an Islamic revolution in Iran to over throw the Shah, if not for western interference, highly doubtful! Would Saddam Hussain have become the thorn in our side had we not supported him against Iran, debatable! Would Iraq exist at all if not for British intereference, No it wouldn't!
Would Israel exist if not for American intereference, No it wouldn't, The Arabs would have flattened them!..Would Al Queda exist if not for CIA funding of the Mujahadeen, doubtful!.....Not exactly got alot to be proud have we and yet we label them lunatics. Well if they're a bunch of loonies, what does that make us??????? Please do tell!!!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Would we have had an Afghanistan in the condition that allowed the Taliban to come to power if not for Soviet and Western interference, highly doubtful! Would we have had an Islamic revolution in Iran to over throw the Shah, if not for western interference, highly doubtful! Would Saddam Hussain have become the thorn in our side had we not supported him against Iran, debatable! Would Iraq exist at all if not for British intereference, No it wouldn't!
Would Israel exist if not for American intereference, No it wouldn't, The Arabs would have flattened them!..Would Al Queda exist if not for CIA funding of the Mujahadeen, doubtful!.....Not exactly got alot to be proud have we and yet we label them lunatics. Well if they're a bunch of loonies, what does that make us??????? Please do tell!!!

Your right but you should know that History is not an event, its a process.

I understand your points, but this is all water under the bridge at this point. We might of been better off keeping our noses out of others buisness in the past. But at this point don't you think its our (mainly US) responsibility that things dont get more screwed up than they alreay are?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 AM
Brigadier General

It may seem strange to you. But a western military presence in the middle east is seen in the context of the crusades by the population of that region. They just see it as a continuation of a religeous war that started with the first crusade. Obviously we don't see it that way. But they see what happened 900 years ago as if it happened last week. It doesn't exactly help when Bush uses that very word either, then retracts it as a gaff. We're not just up against a religion. We're up against history, the old stuff and the more recent. Just look at what happened in the 1950's in that region with Suez, Op Ajax etc and now we're in Iraq again on a lie!.........When you Start looking at it from a different perspective it doesn't look good.

PS. I know why we're there in Afghanistan, but Iraq is dubious to say the least

Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Brigadier General

now if one really wants to evaluate Iran, you could compare the nation to many western nations of 1950 era.. they do have the folks vote.. and the military action of the western countries
just fuel this aspect. they see the epic layed down by Mahmud Ahmadinedžad and they
go by it as long as it fits.

and Bush administration made the whole deal a "no brainer".

the one thing which is worrying is that I am almost sure that
Israel has nukes. Iran is contradicting this with almost the same certainty.

so.. Irans way of enriching uranium is not a peaceful deal under my eyes.

1. long range missile delivery system..

2. reluctance to trade energy-grade uranium etc substances for
the domestic powerplants.. (below the actual value of producing it locally)

3. Heavy water plant... (Iran has build one)

so.. what we have in the end is a possible nuclear weapons capability..
but i do doubt that its the plan A (western worry of nuclear cabability..) in the Iran agenda.
possibly just plan B.

the plan B (primary goal) would be to establish long lasting propaganda mast.

Last edited by torspo[fin]; 02-18-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
It may seem strange to you. But a western military presence in the middle east is seen in the context of the crusades by the population of that region. They just see it as a continuation of a religeous war that started with the first crusade. Obviously we don't see it that way. But they see what happened 900 years ago as if it happened last week. It doesn't exactly help when Bush uses that very word either, then retracts it as a gaff. We're not just up against a religion. We're up against history, the old stuff and the more recent. Just look at what happened in the 1950's in that region with Suez, Op Ajax etc and now we're in Iraq again on a lie!.........When you Start looking at it from a different perspective it doesn't look good.

There is a certain amount of truth to what you are saying, and what does a bardic tradition of storytelling tell us about the Tribes of the region, they dont forget!!.. But if you asked them about butchery the Taliban, or some of the Medhi Army factions in Iran done, they will look at you as if you are talking ****e...... Europe committed War Crimes in the Crusades even when Saladin spared Christians and Jews when he took Jerusulam... theres no doubt the crusades were a christian fundamentialist frenzy stired up by a corrupt Vatacin and inacted by every European Power...... HOWEVER!!!.... If you let a whinging child whinge, they WILL whinge!!... Times time for self recriminations to end, and problem solving to begin... facts are that whilst the west has introded in other peoples affairs, they have done good also, and alliances forged in trust have being held... also, I dont think you are nieve enough to think that areas of the Middle East are not festering terrorists in a fundamentalist Islamic forray of biblical proportions... and planning to send them west like sappers into our wire... Iraq needs to be fixed, but taking the ****bags down first and purging (as much as can be) said ****bags in Afganistan before normal law and order returns should be our order of business now.... As for the mouthpieces who cry wolf, I say go ahead mate, but stay out of our way!!....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:

Not really strange to me. If i teach something to you that happened 900 years like it was yesterday it would be the same way.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcCain View Post
Not really strange to me. If i teach something to you that happened 900 years like it was yesterday it would be the same way.
Good point.